1st Annual Veeam Community Hackathon

Userlevel 7
Badge +14
Hackathon logo. Features Alfred, the community cat. Also shows arrows to Community, Development, Teamwork, Time, Presenting, Goal, and Brainstorm icons and text. These are parts included in the hackathon

On September 28, 2023, @JonahMay and I will organize the 1st Annual Veeam Community Hackathon! This event will start at 15:00 CEST/9:00 AM EST and will run for 24h

• Teams of 12-18 will work together and consist of people from all over the world, with the ultimate goal to bring the world together in a fun community event
    • You are not required to participate for the full 24h but you are welcome to.
  • Each group has a group-leader. This leader is someone from the Veeam100 group
    • We are using members from the Veeam100 group because they are experts in the Veeam products.
  • The teams should make the life of an end-user easier by creating a complementary product to one of the existing Veeam products.
    • An example would be the Grafana dashboards created by @jorge.delacruz 
    • There is no limit on the tech stack(s) used for your product. 
  • There will be prizes for the winning teams. 
    • There are additional prizes for honorable mentions.

A hackathon? But I am not a hacker!

One of the things misunderstood about a hackathon is that it is about hacking. In fact it’s about coding and building a product with a team

A hackathon (also known as a hack dayhackfest, datathon or codefest; a portmanteau of hacking and marathon) is an event where people engage in rapid and collaborative engineering over a relatively short period of time such as 24 or 48 hours. They are often run using agile software development practices, such as sprint-like design wherein computer programmers and others involved in software development, including graphic designers, interface designers, product managers, project managers, domain experts, and others collaborate intensively on engineering projects, such as software engineering.

The goal of a hackathon is to create functioning software or hardware by the end of the event.[1] Hackathons tend to have a specific focus, which can include the programming language used, the operating system, an application, an API, or the subject and the demographic group of the programmers. In other cases, there is no restriction on the type of software being created or the design of the new system.

Source: Wikipedia - Hackathon

Who can participate?

We do not have a limitation on who can participate other than being 18 years or older. Experience with some of the Veeam products is preferred, but you do not have to be an expert.

You can join even if you are not a coder, there are other disciplines and skill sets required. Coding, Testing, Designing, Creating the presentation, Documentation, Research, etc. 

How can I sign up? Where can I find more information?

Leaders (Looking at you Veeam100 / Product Strategy / Product Management!)

If you wish to become a leader, feel free to reach out to us for the leaders form or look in the Veeam100 group for the post.

22 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Since the ‘hackathon’ is more about coding than hacking as you say, shouldn’t the event be called “Codethon”? 😉

Well done to you & Jonah for organizing the event Maurice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the information and looking forward to this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Since the ‘hackathon’ is more about coding than hacking as you say, shouldn’t the event be called “Codethon”? 😉

By giving it another name, would make it less known to the world what it actually is. Lots of people in the world know what a hackathon is, and therefore it would make more sense to keep it that name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I agree Maurice... I was just giving you a hard time is all 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I agree Maurice... I was just giving you a hard time is all 😊

Shane on you! ;) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

bwahaha...well done...well done 😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@mkevenaar I think I signed up for something related to this in the Veeam100 group but now can’t remember. Do we need to sign up again or am I just thinking about something else? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@mkevenaar I think I signed up for something related to this in the Veeam100 group but now can’t remember. Do we need to sign up again or am I just thinking about something else? 

No, same thing. You do not need to sign up again if you gave done already so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Well...symantics I suppose, but don’t use logic.  We don’t use logic in the IT industry, do we?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Geoff Burke , for this one you have to send a $100 Amazon gift card to @mkevenaar and @JonahMay

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Geoff Burke, for this one you have to send a $100 Amazon gift card to @mkevenaar and @JonahMay

@Geoff Burke you can also buy stuff from my wishlist, link on my website 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

@Geoff Burke, for this one you have to send a $100 Amazon gift card to @mkevenaar and @JonahMay

I can pay in BurkeCoin, it is a new digital currency :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I can pay in BurkeCoin, it is a new digital currency :)

Better name would be BorgCoin though, it’s all in the hivemind

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

at least a coffee! 😂🤙

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I am in! A team is forming and ideas are flowing. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I am in! A team is forming and ideas are flowing. 

Excellent! Intrigued to see what you come up with!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Best of luck to everyone today with the hackathon!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Indeed! Hope everyone at least has a great time! All the best to everyone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Best of luck to all !

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hey Everyone!

I think we should all say a special thanks to @JonahMay and @mkevenaar for organising this event. Remember this is being done outside of their daily job activities so a big effort and all for the community. 

Also it is not easy to run something like this for the first time as you have nothing to go by and everything is brand new. I think we all have gained a lot of experience and this hackathon will only get better going forward! Thanks @JonahMay and @mkevenaar !

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey Everyone!

I think we should all say a special thanks to @JonahMay and @mkevenaar for organising this event. Remember this is being done outside of their daily job activities so a big effort and all for the community. 

Also it is not easy to run something like this for the first time as you have nothing to go by and everything is brand new. I think we all have gained a lot of experience and this hackathon will only get better going forward! Thanks @JonahMay and @mkevenaar !

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Aplauses for such great job and effort @JonahMay and @mkevenaar !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey Everyone!

I think we should all say a special thanks to @JonahMay and @mkevenaar for organising this event. Remember this is being done outside of their daily job activities so a big effort and all for the community. 

Also it is not easy to run something like this for the first time as you have nothing to go by and everything is brand new. I think we all have gained a lot of experience and this hackathon will only get better going forward! Thanks @JonahMay and @mkevenaar !

@JonahMay and @mkevenaar thanks for putting this together and for all your work WAY outside of “office hours” and for wrangling all of us cats scattered across all the time zones. It was a lot of fun for me. I hope it was for you two as well. Good luck in the judging. I’m sure there was a lot of good work for you to look at.

Comment