As-Build Report Veeam - Guide for an easy installation

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi All,

I can share my As-Build Report Veeam guide for an easy installation and a good results 😁 !

Sources:

https://github.com/AsBuiltReport/AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR

https://github.com/AsBuiltReport/AsBuiltReport.Core

https://www.asbuiltreport.com/user-guide/new-asbuiltreport/

https://techmyth.info/posts/homelab-veeam-vbr-doc-with-asbuiltreport/

Veeam Server License requirements: Community edition will not be supported.

Needed installed: Veeam Backup Console installed with same version of Veeam server

Installation steps from PS admin shell:

PS> Get-Module -Name Veeam.Backup.PowerShell -ListAvailable                                     

PS> Install-Module PScriboCharts

PS> Import-Module PScriboCharts                                                                 

PS> Find-Module -Name AsBuiltReport.* -Repository PSGallery

PS> Install-Module -Name 'AsBuiltReport.Core' -Repository 'PSGallery' -Scope 'CurrentUser'

PS> $env:PSModulePath

PS> $path = (Get-Module -Name AsBuiltReport.Core -ListAvailable).ModuleBase; Unblock-File -Path $path\*.psd1; Unblock-File -Path $path\Src\Public\*.ps1

Verify if PS Veeam module is installed:

PS> Get-Module -Name Veeam.Backup.PowerShell -ListAvailable

PS> Install-Module -Name AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR

PS> Get-Module -ListAvailable -Name @(‘Veeam.Backup.PowerShell’,‘AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR’,‘AsBuiltReport.Core’)

Attending result:

Configure report options for use with -Verbose option to Allows you to set the technical parameters of the report, such as the type of data collected:

PS> New-AsBuiltReportConfig Veeam.VBR -FolderPath C:\VeeamReports

After confirm message, you can change name to CustomReportConf.json

Now you can edit custom report .json file.

Default configuration for Veeam server joined into domain is:

When the Veeam Server are In Workgroup need edit .json file and change with:

Now we are ready to execute Report command from Veeam Backup Console, PowerShell Console:

PS command line for Veeam server in Workgroup (change red text):

New-AsBuiltReport -Report Veeam.VBR -Target 192.168.1.2 -Username 192.168.1.2\administrator -Password P@ssw0rd -Format Html,Word -OutputFolderPath 'C:\VeeamReports' -ReportConfigFilePath C:\VeeamReports\CustomReportConf.json -Verbose

PS command line for Veeam server joined to AD domain (change red text):

New-AsBuiltReport -Report Veeam.VBR -Target veeam-vbr.contoso.local -Username contoso\veeam_admin -Password P@ssw0rd -Format Html,Word -OutputFolderPath C:\VeeamReports

This command line create 2 reports in Word and HTML format.

Enjoy Veeam reports !

41 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Nice one Marco! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I really like using these reports and have been since they came out.  Thanks for sharing this. 👍

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thank you for the content. I will be adding these recommendations to make it easier to use the report. I am working on a GUI made in C# for the AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR project that allows to generate these reports in an easier way.

Additionally I have been working on improving the report content and also adding support for drawing VEEAM B&R infrastructure diagrams.

Stay tuned...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you for the content. I will be adding these recommendations to make it easier to use the report. I am working on a GUI made in C# for the AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR project that allows to generate these reports in an easier way.

Additionally I have been working on improving the report content and also adding support for drawing VEEAM B&R infrastructure diagrams.

Stay tuned...

The diagram piece will be awesome 👍

Looking forward to that being added.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Stay tuned...

WOW ! 
Very usefull !!! 
We wait impatiently !!! 
😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Stay tuned...

This is so cool! I can not wait to try it. Nice job @jcolonfzenpr @MarcoLuvisi 

Userlevel 1

Hi All.

Great tool but how can I manage with multiple proxies in workgroup ? Each time ASBuild try to connect to the proxy I have an error saying : 

VMware Backup Proxies Hardware/Software Inventory: Unable to connect to ...
VMware Backup Proxies Services Status Section: Unable to connect to ….

Thanks for your help

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi All.

Great tool but how can I manage with multiple proxies in workgroup ? Each time ASBuild try to connect to the proxy I have an error saying : 

Thanks for your help

Regards

What do you means with “proxies in workgroup” ?
You mean that each proxy has different access credentials?

Userlevel 1

Hi All.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Each proxy is in a workgroup not in an ActiveDirectory so yes different access credentials.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi All.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Each proxy is in a workgroup not in an ActiveDirectory so yes different access credentials.

@BROUSSEY do you execute PS under Veeam Power Shell console ?

Userlevel 1

Hi All.

Thanks for your help

Regards

@BROUSSEY do you execute PS under Veeam Power Shell console ?

Much better. Thanks a lot 😋

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Stay tuned...

Hi @jcolonfzenpr 

It is really impressive. Did you finish the tools I can’t wait to try it.

Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge

The tool is Veeam.Diagrammer and it source code is located here:

https://github.com/rebelinux/Veeam.Diagrammer

From version 0.8.3 onwards the AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR report can generate diagrams if the "EnableDiagrams" option is set to true.

There is still a lot of work to be done to generate a complete infrastructure diagram. But for now there are several diagrams type that can be generated. I am interested in adding support for Cloud Connect but the license I was using for this purpose expired :(

Stay tuned...

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi,

I tried to generate the report by following all the steps in the above article also I downloaded all the module required but still stuck in below error 

New-AsBuiltReport : The term 'Document' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ New-AsBuiltReport -Report Veeam.VBR -Target 172.17.2.180 -Username 17 ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,New-AsBuiltReport

I tried to troubleshoot and check lot of sites but still no luck, so what I am missing ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi,

I tried to generate the report by following all the steps in the above article also I downloaded all the module required but still stuck in below error 

New-AsBuiltReport : The term 'Document' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,New-AsBuiltReport

I tried to troubleshoot and check lot of sites but still no luck, so what I am missing ?

Based on the error your syntax seems incorrect.  Check the examples above in the OP and model your commands from there.  I have done the same thing many times and need to remind myself to put the syntax in the proper format.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

This is the command that I used and I double check with the article 

New-AsBuiltReport -Report Veeam.VBR -Target 172.17.2.180 -Username 172.17.2.180\administrator -Password P@ssw0rd -Format Html,Word -OutputFolderPath ‘C:\VeeamReports’ -ReportConfigFilePath C:\VeeamReports\CustomReportConf.json -Verbose

Could you please chek?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is the command that I used and I double check with the article 

New-AsBuiltReport -Report Veeam.VBR -Target 172.17.2.180 -Username 172.17.2.180\administrator -Password P@ssw0rd -Format Html,Word -OutputFolderPath ‘C:\VeeamReports’ -ReportConfigFilePath C:\VeeamReports\CustomReportConf.json -Verbose

Could you please chek?

Based on this it looks correct from the example above.  Is there a space with the dash and password command?  I know web formatting is funky some times LOL

Example -

New-AsBuiltReport -Report Veeam.VBR -Target 192.168.1.2 -Username 192.168.1.2\administrator -Password P@ssw0rd -Format Html,Word -OutputFolderPath 'C:\VeeamReports' -ReportConfigFilePath C:\VeeamReports\CustomReportConf.json -Verbose

Based on this everything looks right even the single quotes.  Maybe @jcolonfzenpr can address this.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

As I told you I copied the example command and changed only the red parts thats why I am sure that it is the same. I spent more than 3 hours to figure it out but with no luck even I restarted the process from the beginning step by step also without luck.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As I told you I copied the example command and changed only the red parts thats why I am sure that it is the same. I spent more than 3 hours to figure it out but with no luck even I restarted the process from the beginning step by step also without luck.  

Sounds good.  Hopefully the OP will reply when he has time.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I fixed the first issue it was a missing module called PScribo and I passed tthat issue but now stuck in another one which is :

New-AsBuiltReport : The 'Invoke-AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR' command was found in the module 'AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR',
but the module could not be loaded. For more information, run 'Import-Module AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR'.

When I checked and did an import command it says that PSGraph issue as below :

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Import-Module AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR
Import-Module : The required module 'PSGraph' is not loaded. Load the module or remove the module from
'RequiredModules' in the file
'C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Veeam.Diagrammer\Veeam.Diagrammer.psd1'.
+ Import-Module AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (C:\Users\Admini...Diagrammer.psd1:String) [Import-Module], Missing
   MemberException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_InvalidManifest,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

The module is exist but am not sure where is the problem exactly now as the diagrammer also there too

Any help in here coz my mind will blow :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I fixed the first issue it was a missing module called PScribo and I passed tthat issue but now stuck in another one which is :

New-AsBuiltReport : The 'Invoke-AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR' command was found in the module 'AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR',
but the module could not be loaded. For more information, run 'Import-Module AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR'.

When I checked and did an import command it says that PSGraph issue as below :

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Import-Module AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR
Import-Module : The required module 'PSGraph' is not loaded. Load the module or remove the module from
'RequiredModules' in the file
'C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Veeam.Diagrammer\Veeam.Diagrammer.psd1'.
+ Import-Module AsBuiltReport.Veeam.VBR
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (C:\Users\Admini...Diagrammer.psd1:String) [Import-Module], Missing
   MemberException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_InvalidManifest,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

The module is exist but am not sure where is the problem exactly now as the diagrammer also there too

Any help in here coz my mind will blow :(

I would suggest you go through the website and install all the pre-requisites needed for this to run properly. Sounds like something is still missing based on the errors.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @Chris.Childerhose  Finally I figured it out and fixed it. It seems the offline Module from Github not working fine with me so I installed from PSGallery repo from another device (coz server that I worked on does not have internet access) and I loaded the new one and it works fine.

Thanks for you following up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Chris.Childerhose  Finally I figured it out and fixed it. It seems the offline Module from Github not working fine with me so I installed from PSGallery repo from another device (coz server that I worked on does not have internet access) and I loaded the new one and it works fine.

Awesome that is great to hear you figured it out.  Glad to help. 👍

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Chris.Childerhose  Finally I figured it out and fixed it. It seems the offline Module from Github not working fine with me so I installed from PSGallery repo from another device (coz server that I worked on does not have internet access) and I loaded the new one and it works fine.

I'm glad you were able to resolve it and my thanks to those who helped you do so.

I have included the URL for the most recent instructions on how to run the report. In the future I will try to make the process for generating the report simpler.

https://techmyth.blog/posts/homelab-veeam-vbr-doc-with-asbuiltreport/

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi,

I’m using a Rental license on a Veeam Server. The license typ is Enterprise plus.

While running the report I got the following message:

“New-AsBuiltReport : Current license does not allow this operation”

Is there a way to get rid of these error?

Regards

Christopher

Comment