Announcing the "MEET THE ARCHICTECT" Interview Series!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Folks,

I originally had hoped to do a VMCA show. However, for live shows we need to plan and set the date way in advance. As many of you will understand, things change and then the date rolls up and you have to tell people you are busy on camera 😁!

On the other hand, good old school journalism is much more convenient.

So today I am announcing the “Meet the Architect” interview series. I will interview some well known Veeam Architects and maybe not only VMCA’s but soon to be VMCAs.

To test the waters I have decided to interview myself first 😃. By setting the standard low everyone else will be glad to follow afterwards.

MEET THE ARCHITECT: VMCA 2022 Geoff Burke 

VMCA_Group_Leader: Hi Geoff and Welcome! First off can you tell us a bit about yourself?

Geoff: Well I am a fun loving person who enjoys spending my free time doing IT and IT related things, like making up new ideas for the Veeam Hub.

VMCA_Group_Leader: Wow that must have an affect on your social life

Geoff: Oh no not at all, I have no social life after the pandemic so all good.

VMCA_Group_Leader: How did you get into IT?

Geoff: Well if I am going to be truly honest it was because of Doom.

VMCA_Group_Leader: Doom?

Geoff: That was a video game back in the day. Unfortunately, I took the cheap route when I bought my first PC and the game would start to load and then just freeze. I realized that this was one of those situations where I needed to take things into my own hands and learn IT. I learned how to add RAM and the game loaded, my life has never been the same since.

VMCA_Group_Leader: Wow that is fascinating, I would have expected some more inspiring tale of watching NASA rockets taking off or witnessing some other tech event triggering your career. 

Geoff: Life is funny in that way. At least in this instance Doom did not result in Gloom and I am enjoying a great and exciting career in IT. 

VMCA_Group_Leader: Ok if we can get serious for a moment.

Geoff: NO!!

Just joking. When you work in Data Protection you need to have a sense of humor otherwise you develop ulcers, it is something similar to the folks who work at the stock market but at about half the salary. 

VMCA_Group_Leader: How did you get started specifically in Data Protection work?

Geoff: Well at one of my first jobs I was given the task because it was like a hot potato that no one wanted. As I stated before those were the days before Veeam and so restores were touch and go. It attracted the gambling crowd. Later when I began working with Veeam the tables turned, now backup administrators were the cool folks on the block and everybody wanted to be your friend.

VMCA_Group_Leader: So “it just works” is not just marketing hype?

Geoff: Well I would adjust that statement. It just works yes,  but if you want it to work at its best become a VMCA, Veeam Certified Architect!

VMCA_Group_Leader: Great Statement!

Geoff: Thank you, I try.

I know there are folks who don’t put much value in certification but just like anything the certification vaule depends on the effort and quality of work done preparing for it. Veeam made a huge effort to get it right and I feel they achieved this.

VMCA_Group_Leader: What are your recommendations for people wanting to achieve the VMCA?

Geoff: Go through the documentation, get a lab and do as much of the “reading/doing” combo as possible in your environment. Go through all of the Veeam University courses. Never forget that the real value of becoming a VMCA is not the piece of paper, but skills and abilities that you acquire along the way.

Finally have fun!! Veeam is not only a great and efficient technology, it is also just plain fun to work with. When I perform a successful instant restore v2v of a VM from vSphere to Hyper-V I get that same feeling as I did back in the day when getting to the next level of a game in Doom!

VMCA_Group_Leader: Yes, if you are having fun at work you have truly found the secret to happiness. One last thing, do you often interview and talk to yourself like this today?

Geoff: Well I have to admit at times I find myself quite annoying but at others I get along quite well with myself, I think the key is to find a common topic of interest 😀.

VMCA_Group_Leader: Good point. Ok well thank you Geoff, we hope to have you around more often. 

Geoff: Oh don’t worry I am never too far away from the VMCA study hall!

VMCA_Group_Leader: Ok Folks that’s it for today. Next week we will be interviewing one of the brightest stars in the Veeam Tech world, VMCA @MicoolPaul !

Stay tuned!

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Ha!! Mr. Interviewer, I am glad this is IT and not a spelling Bee! The title as an error in it 😃

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great initiative for sure.  Don't forget other great architects and authors for your interviews.  😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Great initiative for sure.  Don't forget other great architects and authors for your interviews.  😉

Check your Vanguard Slack messages! :) invite sent earlier this morning :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Check your Vanguard Slack messages! :) invite sent earlier this morning :) 

Replied. 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

WoW great interview,😁

Lot of days spent to play in Doom and Age of Empires with my colleagues. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I love this @Geoff Burke !!! That so funny!

Just remember that piece of paper sometimes is the one which make the difference between you and your competitor or the difference of you as a candidate in an interview, so it also has value as a differentiator in the market! It is your stamp of quality! :)

Can’t wait to see the rest of interview! I loved the idea! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I love this @Geoff Burke !!! That so funny!

Just remember that piece of paper sometimes is the one which make the difference between you and your competitor or the difference of you as a candidate in an interview, so it also has value as a differentiator in the market! It is your stamp of quality! :)

I completely agree @Federica . The other argument that I like to use, is that we as human beings have to set some kind of measurability to things. Nothing is perfect and there are always room for errors but we must set standards otherwise there is chaos. When it comes to certifications and degrees I ask the question “would you go to a person claiming to be a doctor, i.e. trust your health with someone who has no medical degree?” If the person says yes then good luck. 

Again no one claims that someone with a VMCA will not make mistakes, or that they are always better than someone without that certification, but you will at least know that they have achieved a certain recognized standard and that helps minimize risk. That was the “at least” part, you might also land yourself one of the folks that I plan on interviewing and then you are on the road to success! 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Watching Geoff talk to himself sure can be quite a ride….

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I love this @Geoff Burke !!! That so funny!

I completely agree @Federica . The other argument that I like to use, is that we as human beings have to set some kind of measurability to things. Nothing is perfect and there are always room for errors but we must set standards otherwise there is chaos. When it comes to certifications and degrees I ask the question “would you go to a person claiming to be a doctor, i.e. trust your health with someone who has no medical degree?” If the person says yes then good luck. 

Again no one claims that someone with a VMCA will not make mistakes, or that they are always better than someone without that certification, but you will at least know that they have achieved a certain recognized standard and that helps minimize risk. That was the “at least” part, you might also land yourself one of the folks that I plan on interviewing and then you are on the road to success! 😀

🔝🔝🔝

Comment