Sticky V12 Upgrade Center

V12 Upgrade Center

V12 Upgrade Center

Show first post

103 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Can you add a note to this page and/or the upgrade guide regarding custom region.xml files please. I’ve just spend quite a bit of time trying to work out why SOBR’s to S3 don’t work post v12 only to find that our VPC customisations have been overwritten.

Thanks, Rob.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I would suggest that you post this over on the forum site to get better visibility - https://forums.veeam.com 

If the feedback is about the upgrade checklist in the user guide, then the feedback button at the bottom in the user guide should be used. That will send the request to the right team.
Upgrade Checklist - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

But I assume, @ratkinsonuk would like to see a note in Ricks upgrade blog post here. 

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

…...

But I assume, @ratkinsonuk would like to see a note in Ricks upgrade blog post here. 

Best,

Fabian

Ideally, both places, but I’ll use the feedback button to get it added to the official check-list.

Thanks.

Userlevel 1

I heard a rumor that V12  patch release is coming soon. Any truth in it ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Rick Vanover

KB is now updated for the new patch release.

https://www.veeam.com/kb4420

Time to update 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Rick Vanover

KB is now updated for the new patch release.

https://www.veeam.com/kb4420

Time to update 😎

Update was easy and no issues.  👍

Userlevel 1

I will upgrade with new iso from V11  tomorrow. 

Userlevel 1

Combined ISO is already there isn't it ?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Combined ISO is already there isn't it ?   

Yes, if you use the Download ISO link it will download the one with the latest patch.

Userlevel 1

Funny,  Veeam chose to name/number  the iso release 413 and not 412 :

Userlevel 2

To get to target picture (there are 14+ VBRs), here is my high-level plan. Pls let me know your thoughts. Thank you

High-level Steps

1. Stand up the new VM 2022 for EM (same hostname, with different or same IP as source EM) but not on network yet. (Do NOT install EM yet)
  2. Stand up the new VM 2022 for Veeam One (same hostname, with different or same IP as source VeeamOne) but not on network yet. (Do NOT install Veeam One yet)
  3. Take source EM v11 DB backup and shutdown services on source EM and disconnect from network
  4. Take source VeeamOne v11 DB backup and shutdown services on source VeeamOne & disconnect from network
  5. Update DNS accordingly per steps 1 & 2
  6. Install same v11 build for EM on new EM VM and import sql express DB
  7. Install same v11 build for VeeamOne on new VeamOne VM and import sql express DB
  8. Validate new EM & VeeamOne, working as normal with existing VBRs (all v11 & sql express)
  9. Upgrade veeamOne to v12
  10. Upgrade EM to v12
  11. Upgrade VBRs to v12
  12. Validate EM & VeeamOne, working as normal with existing VBRs (all v12 & sql express)
  13. Take VeeamOne v12 sql express DB backup (either thru SSMS and/or dbconfig tool) & migrate its DB to SQL Standard (DB on remote machine)
  14. Take EM v12 sql express DB backup (either thru SSMS and/or dbconfig tool) & migrate its DB to SQL Standard (DB on remote machine)
  15. Validate EM & VeeamOne, working as normal with existing VBRs (all v12, SQL std for EM/VeeamOne & sql express for VBRs)
Userlevel 2

EM & VBR both are on same win VM at v12.1 and both using native sql express. I want to migrate both of them to postgresql on same VM. Upgrade guide for EM 12 says, to do EM first and then VBR but when you backup EM DB using veeam.em.db.migration.exe file to an emco file, first point says ‘to do VBR first’ and then EM. So, it’s contradicting info. Which one i should migrate first to postgresql?

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/em/em_db_migration.html?zoom_highlight=postgresql&ver=120 (EM guide telling you EM first and then VBR)

Userlevel 2

See point one above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hey there @Aman.Nangia → Thanks for sharing this. 

Hard to determine if the above has everything covered. One thing I have learned over the years is to explicitly separate architecture changes from upgrades. And use the config backups to help with architecture changes on the destination version. 

Userlevel 2

Do you recall, when you did EM first and did the first step of generating the emco file, did it tell you ‘do VBR migration to postgress prior to this EM’? I am wondering since i did not deleted VBR from EM prior to taking EM’s backup to emco file, it gave me that message bcz he knows there is VBR on sql still. Anyways, i will give it a shot again.

Side note: Since i went ahead and tried VBR first owing to the point 1 message above, it failed also in the target DB selection when i selected postgresql with below message.

Userlevel 2

Userlevel 2

hey there @Aman.Nangia → Thanks for sharing this. 

Hard to determine if the above has everything covered. One thing I have learned over the years is to explicitly separate architecture changes from upgrades. And use the config backups to help with architecture changes on the destination version. 

Thanks Rick; agreed.

Userlevel 2

Thx Chris; i think that’s what it is. Side question: Do any postgresql components gets installed on the VBR when i upgraded him from v12 to v12.1? Or perhaps it’s better to ask when it was upgraded to v12 in past bz postgressql comes baked in with v12 onwards. Since it’s sql express currently at v12.1 for this customer, the postgresql does not need to be installed as such on this VM bcz that DB should be there even though it’s not used by VBR or VEM at the moment for this customer, right? I will try above steps in my next meeting with customer. Thx

Userlevel 2

ah,  my bad. I did not installed it. Wish it was mentioned in the guide to install postgress binary before migrating sql Exp to postgres. I noticed it’s in the VBR iso v12.1 binary per support personnel ‘https://www.veeam.com/blog/switch-sql-server-postgresql-veeam.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Updated today (and last month) with two updates KB4420 and KB4443.

Userlevel 2

Question: i will remove VBR from VEM, and do VEM DB migration to postgresql first, and in that during emco backup file creation, if i get message of doing VBR first to postgressql still (hopefully not), i will stop and migration VBR to postgresql first instead.

If it doesn’t give the message, i will continue with VEM to postgresql but do i need to install postgresql first like we are going to install postgressql for VBR as in this article right in the beginning ‘https://www.veeam.com/blog/switch-sql-server-postgresql-veeam.html’?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

AWS Custom VPC Issue

If you’ve implemented custom VPC’s (using AmazonS3Regions.xml), then you’ll have an issue trying to create Protection Groups in the B&R console. The error is something like ‘Selected data centre region does not support Sts endpoints’.

This is because v12 ships with new endpoints in the default file which need adding to your custom file. E.G. :-

<Endpoint Type="STS" Fips="false">sts.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com</Endpoint>
<Endpoint Type="SSM" Fips="false">ssm.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com</Endpoint>
<Endpoint Type="SQS" Fips="false">sqs.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com</Endpoint>
<Endpoint Type="KMS" Fips="false">kms.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com</Endpoint>
<Endpoint Type="KMS" Fips="true">kms-fips.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com</Endpoint>
<Endpoint Type="S3C" Fips="false">s3-control.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com</Endpoint>

These are specific to the region you’re using, so you’ll need to grab the default region file for the exact entries.

For info, the instructions under KB4226 haven’t been updated to reflect the new entries either.

Userlevel 2

Hi. Since it’s a multi-site Veeam architecture (all components at V11a latest build) already running in prod i.e. Ent Mgr, Veeam One, ten+ VBR (no VCSP or backups to cloud yet in any form) all at v11a. We want to upgrade the entire  environ to v12 and also move to Postgres for each component. We are looking at best strategy over a 2 week project hopefully. Question is: Can Ent Mgr at v12 (postgres) & veeam one at v12 (postgres) coexist (aka sit) with mixed VBRs (some VBRs still at 11a (sql) ready to be upgraded to v12 (postgres), and some VBRs already upgraded to v12 (upgraded to postgres also). All pointers welcome. Thx

Comment