Sticky V12 Upgrade Center

V12 Upgrade Center

V12 Upgrade Center

Show first post

103 comments

Userlevel 1

Upgrade done, no issues: 

Thank you once again for this great ressources! Really appreciate your work!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Rick Vanover -- not sure if you know yet but can RTM be upgraded to GA, or will we need to wait on a patch?  I am going to be testing with GA regardless so that is not an issue at all for my company.

We expect that patch later in the week, I’m working on the details of that - will have more info later today/tomorrow.

The Installer will warn you in advance, but it is essential you do not upgrade until the Provider informs you that they have upgraded, as this will impact all Cloud Connect functionality with that Provider adversely.

Did I get that correctly: even with us as VCSPs already on 1402, VCSP tenants should not go to 1420 unless we’re also on 1420?

So there is something more important in 1420 than expected? 

Or does that just relate to V12 at the provider’s site at all?

There will be a patch to go from 1402 to 1420, which should be more lightweight than a full upgrade. (As I understand it). I do believe a VCSP could take today’s GA and go to 1420 from 1402 RTM, however. I’ll advise if this is NOT the case.  

Apologies if I’ve misread your last sentence, but tried to run an upgrade in our lab from 1402 RTM to 1420 GA using today’s GA ISO, but doesn’t appear to be an option:

So this does mean that RTM builds will require the Day 0 patch, which is due before the end of the week @replicatius → I’ll update the content and post the link to the patch when we have it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Rick Vanover -- not sure if you know yet but can RTM be upgraded to GA, or will we need to wait on a patch?  I am going to be testing with GA regardless so that is not an issue at all for my company.

We expect that patch later in the week, I’m working on the details of that - will have more info later today/tomorrow.

The Installer will warn you in advance, but it is essential you do not upgrade until the Provider informs you that they have upgraded, as this will impact all Cloud Connect functionality with that Provider adversely.

Did I get that correctly: even with us as VCSPs already on 1402, VCSP tenants should not go to 1420 unless we’re also on 1420?

So there is something more important in 1420 than expected? 

Or does that just relate to V12 at the provider’s site at all?

There will be a patch to go from 1402 to 1420, which should be more lightweight than a full upgrade. (As I understand it). I do believe a VCSP could take today’s GA and go to 1420 from 1402 RTM, however. I’ll advise if this is NOT the case.  

Apologies if I’ve misread your last sentence, but tried to run an upgrade in our lab from 1402 RTM to 1420 GA using today’s GA ISO, but doesn’t appear to be an option:

So this does mean that RTM builds will require the Day 0 patch, which is due before the end of the week @replicatius → I’ll update the content and post the link to the patch when we have it.

Thanks so much Rick! Appreciate you being so attentive as always.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Cool, thanks @AlexeyGoncharov 

Userlevel 2
Badge

A question on upgrade sequence. I have a VM running Veeam One and Backup Enterprise Manager and a separate VM running VBR and SQL2016. I know I have to upgrade BEM first then VBR, but do I have to do them concurrently, ie one outage, stop all job, upgrade BEM, then upgrade VBR, test and restart jobs? Or can I upgrade BEM on one day and then VBR on a different day? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

A question on upgrade sequence. I have a VM running Veeam One and Backup Enterprise Manager and a separate VM running VBR and SQL2016. I know I have to upgrade BEM first then VBR, but do I have to do them concurrently, ie one outage, stop all job, upgrade BEM, then upgrade VBR, test and restart jobs? Or can I upgrade BEM on one day and then VBR on a different day? 

You can do it on different days. Have a look at the prerequisites here: Before You Begin - Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Guide

“To upgrade Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager to version 12, you must be running version 10a (build 10.0.1.4854) or later”

Userlevel 2
Badge

You can do it on different days. Have a look at the prerequisites here: Before You Begin - Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Guide

“To upgrade Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager to version 12, you must be running version 10a (build 10.0.1.4854) or later”

Thanks for the quick reply, yes we’re on the latest v11 version so no excuse not to start the upgrade process!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for the quick response @dips and yes, I think a ‘staggered’ upgrade is totally fine. If you had multiple Veeam B&R Servers running under one Veeam BEM server; you could consider one at a time too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Youi will want to also upgrade VONE first before VEM/VBR otherwise it will not connect to your VBR/VEM server.  Just an FYI

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Good to hear that the KB update for V12 went well. I updated the main part of this in Post Publish Updates on Friday. I expect we’ll have a combined ISO at some point, which I’ll note. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Funny,  Veeam chose to name/number  the iso release 413 and not 412 :

This is the date, not the version number….

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

KB Update done without issues

Userlevel 2

To get to target picture (there are 14+ VBRs), here is my high-level plan. Pls let me know your thoughts. Thank you

High-level Steps

1. Stand up the new VM 2022 for EM (same hostname, with different or same IP as source EM) but not on network yet. (Do NOT install EM yet)
  2. Stand up the new VM 2022 for Veeam One (same hostname, with different or same IP as source VeeamOne) but not on network yet. (Do NOT install Veeam One yet)
  3. Take source EM v11 DB backup and shutdown services on source EM and disconnect from network
  4. Take source VeeamOne v11 DB backup and shutdown services on source VeeamOne & disconnect from network
  5. Update DNS accordingly per steps 1 & 2
  6. Install same v11 build for EM on new EM VM and import sql express DB
  7. Install same v11 build for VeeamOne on new VeamOne VM and import sql express DB
  8. Validate new EM & VeeamOne, working as normal with existing VBRs (all v11 & sql express)
  9. Upgrade veeamOne to v12
  10. Upgrade EM to v12
  11. Upgrade VBRs to v12
  12. Validate EM & VeeamOne, working as normal with existing VBRs (all v12 & sql express)
  13. Take VeeamOne v12 sql express DB backup (either thru SSMS and/or dbconfig tool) & migrate its DB to SQL Standard (DB on remote machine)
  14. Take EM v12 sql express DB backup (either thru SSMS and/or dbconfig tool) & migrate its DB to SQL Standard (DB on remote machine)
  15. Validate EM & VeeamOne, working as normal with existing VBRs (all v12, SQL std for EM/VeeamOne & sql express for VBRs)

These steps look good but if the SQL Standard exists once you take backups why not restore to there to avoid steps 13/14?  Just a thought as you can direct both EM/VONE to the SQL Std box on the new Win2022 servers when ready.

Thx Chris. Agreed with you also. The only reason was that should there be any issue anywhere in the interim, there would be 2 things to point to (sql std or v12) instead of one and i wanted to avoid that situation, that’s all. Yes, the new SQL std VM would be already up but i want to take the safer road.

Recent request by customer: They want to change the hostname of EM and VeeamOne VMs on the target. Giving further thought to it, have a question: When i import the EM DB on target EM at v11 (i will be installing EM v11 on new EM VM with new hostname prior), will the import be successful on it? In other words, does dbconfig has in it the EM hostname embedded in it somewhere? Hope not, and am hoping if i re-register all the x VBRs out there on the new EM VM v11, it should be able to pick the historical data from the successful DB import, right? Same goes for VeeamOne. Thoughts pls?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Someone DM’d me a question, a good one:

“Does Cumulative Patch 3 (or other CPs) need to be installed on Enterprise Manager?”

The answer is YES!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Aman.Nangia

VBR and EM must run on the same configuration database engine.

Enterprise Manager server on PostgreSQL cannot manage a Veeam Backup & Replication server which is still on MSSQL. Your V11 servers will not show data in a Enterprise Manager v12 with PostgreSQL database.

But if you leave the database on MSSQL, your V11 server can be managed by the Enterprise Manager v12.

I recommend the following approach:

1. Upgrade EM but stay on MSSQL
  2. Upgrade all VBR but stay on MSSQL
  3. Migrate all VBR databases to PostgreSQL 
  4. Migrate your EM database to PostgreSQL

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Veeam One only supports MSSQL and will work with either VBR/EM on PostgreSQL or MSSQL.

I would first upgrade Veeam One. As Step 0 :) Historical data from MSSQL will not be lost after step 4 + 5.

1. Upgrade Veeam One
  2. Upgrade EM but stay on MSSQL
  3. Upgrade all VBR but stay on MSSQL
  4. Migrate all VBR databases to PostgreSQL 
  5. Migrate your EM database to PostgreSQL

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You‘re welcome :)
It won‘t be an issue for the EM server. But you won‘t see (new) data or will able to restore data in EM of the already migrated VBR servers until you migrate the EM too.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If I remember correct, then each 500GB of file data to tape consumes one license. And it has to be NAS file data, VM backups do not count to this.

The Veeam Essentials license should be the right one for you. You can buy packets of five licenses with a maximum of 50 (I hope the numbers are still correct with V12...)

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much.

I also do offsite backups for a friend of mine who works as an IT consultant, maybe he is in one of the categories for NFR.

If not, 75 EUR/year should be ok.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Frankly, I have not understood the new “file to tape” license but have not researched extensively.

Right now I use the Community Edition and the 10 free instances are used up for Hyper-V and agent backups.

I have about 6 TB of data, VMs and agent backups which I store to tape using different jobs.

As a home user (aka hobbyist) I wonder which license I would have to acquire and how much this would cost me.

Thank you very much for any links.

Another thing I’d add @toko42  in addition to the Golden Comments from @Mildur  is that A) V12 has enhanced logic of NAS to tape and 😎 NAS to disk already exists. The enhanced logic is no longer free as it’s much smarter, so A and B are separate “data movers” and therefore consume VUL>

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just getting to caught up on some of the recent v12 posts. As with the last Upgrade, this is a great resource @Rick Vanover . Thank you for the tedious and hard work of putting it all together. I’m going to dive deep into this and @vmJoe ‘s posts before I perform our upgrade here. Thanks again!

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Just wanted to add that when downloading the Veeam B&R software an email is generated saying, ‘Thank you for downloading Veeam® Data Platform — Foundation Edition..’

Further down the email, there is a ‘Getting Started’ section: 

Screenshot from email with links to Veeam V12 related documentation

The Upgrade Center link takes you to V11 rather than V12

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Just wanted to add that when downloading the Veeam B&R software an email is generated saying, ‘Thank you for downloading Veeam® Data Platform — Foundation Edition..’

Further down the email, there is a ‘Getting Started’ section: 

Screenshot from email with links to Veeam V12 related documentation

The Upgrade Center link takes you to V11 rather than V12

Thanks for this Dips - will get it fixed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks for the quick reply, yes we’re on the latest v11 version so no excuse not to start the upgrade process!

No problem. Hope the upgrade goes well :)

Comment