Solved

Veeam Sizing for Repository Needed

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hello Veeam,

I would like to ask regarding on how to size repository needed for Veeam via http://rps.dewin.me/

If customer gave the data size that needs to backup which is 28tb and backup policy must have 2YR retention and the sched will be 24months Full, 4 weekly Full and 7 Daily incremental.

So technically I will create a "Backup Copy Job GFS” in Dewin, and will enter 24 in Months the total for that one is 219.2TB, will create another one for weekly will enter 4 in Weekly and total of 44.2 TB, and last for Daily incremental will select "Forever Incremental” and retention will be 7 and total of 31.89 TB. For all type of backup i checked the Refs/XFS, 10% conservative for change rate, and 50% on data left after reduction. So it means i will add the total for all and that is equivalent to 295.29 TB of storage. So i need a total of 295.29 TB with 2YR retention? I think is is too much give that Veeam have dedup/compress features, if you will size can you share the details as well. Thanks

icon

Best answer by JMeixner 16 September 2021, 17:19

View original

27 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What option are you selecting here as this will determine the rest of the fields you populate on that site.

Now depending how you choose options sizing will vary.  Also you mention the GFS option - did you select the Backup Copy Job GFS option in the dropdown list?

The sizing you came up with for retention of 2 years seems very high considering ReFS/XFS space savings.  You may want to validate the fields and inputs again to be sure.

Example if you select Incremental Monthly Active Full from the dropdown list then change the sizing to 28000GB (28TB) and leave the other options you get less than 100TB.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

What option are you selecting here as this will determine the rest of the fields you populate on that site.

Now depending how you choose options sizing will vary.  Also you mention the GFS option - did you select the Backup Copy Job GFS option in the dropdown list?

The sizing you came up with for retention of 2 years seems very high considering ReFS/XFS space savings.  You may want to validate the fields and inputs again to be sure.

Example if you select Incremental Monthly Active Full from the dropdown list then change the sizing to 28000GB (28TB) and leave the other options you get less than 100TB.

I select Backup Copy Job GFS 6W/12M/8Q/3Y for Monthly, Backup Copy Job for Weekly, Forever Incremental for Daily because customer wants to have a Monthly full backup, Weekly Full and Daily inc sched backup, Added all and come up of 295.29 TB

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So my next question - are you selecting the Backup Copy Job option cause you want to create a copy job offsite for the backups or just to get the GFS retention?  If that is the case you can use the Incremental Monthly Active Full to cover off both Daily and Monthly.  Then you can use the Weekly Active full to see the sizing for weekly backups.

All of this would be able to put in to a standard backup job and using the built-in GFS rather than implementing a Backup Copy job.

So depends on what you are trying to accomplish and if anything offsite.  I still think the end number is too large based on using ReFS/XFS and should be half that number possibly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

So my next question - are you selecting the Backup Copy Job option cause you want to create a copy job offsite for the backups or just to get the GFS retention?  If that is the case you can use the Incremental Monthly Active Full to cover off both Daily and Monthly.  Then you can use the Weekly Active full to see the sizing for weekly backups.

All of this would be able to put in to a standard backup job and using the built-in GFS rather than implementing a Backup Copy job.

So depends on what you are trying to accomplish and if anything offsite.  I still think the end number is too large based on using ReFS/XFS and should be half that number possibly.

are you selecting the Backup Copy Job option cause you want to create a copy job offsite for the backups or just to get the GFS retention? NO, ONLY GFS RETENTION,… TRIED THE SIZING YOUVE MENTIONED KINDLY CHECK BELOW, SO NOW I NEED A TOTAL OF 82.93 TB OF STORAGE WITH 2YR RETENTION?

CAN I ALSO KNOW WHAT IS THE MEANING OF "WORKSPACE" RED TEXT BELOW? THANKS

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Let me take a look at the numbers to verify.

The Workspace is additional space that Veeam requires for processing and also if you were to be doing Synthetic Full backups it needs space to work while it creates the full backup VBK file.

I will get back with numbers in a bit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

With 24 monthly, 4 weekly and 6 incrementals I get 209.63 TB (199.63 TB without the neccessary working space in the repo).

Without the ReFS reduction you would have 24 monthly and 5 weekliy Fulls, this would sum to 812 TB. So, the calculated 199 TB are a reduction of about 1 to 4.

Not bad, I think….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

And why do you want active fulls?

As far as I know the ReFS reduction works with synthetic fulls. Not sure if it works with active fulls, too….

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

And why do you want active fulls?

As far as I know the ReFS reduction works with synthetic fulls. Not sure if it works with active fulls, too….

I agree here but the site used only shows with Active Fulls so that is what you need to select.  Actually there is a weekly synthetic.  Let me try that. :smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

So if you use the Incremental with Weekly Synthetic just to cover your daily and weekly backups you get this -

Now I am trying to figure out with this tool to get the Monthly backups for 2 year retention using Synthetic backups.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Now if you use the Weekly Synthetic option but uncheck the weekly and select the monthly options with 24 restore points (2 years) then you get this but to me it still seems not accurate:

So when you add these up even with working space you still are under 200TB.

So if you then take an estimate adding in some buffer I would say you should be good with about 225TB for your repo sizing using either ReFS/XFS.

:smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Now if you use the Weekly Synthetic option but uncheck the weekly and select the monthly options with 24 restore points (2 years) then you get this but to me it still seems not accurate:

So if you then take an estimate adding in some buffer I would say you should be good with about 225TB for your repo sizing using either ReFS/XFS.

Mhh, that is what I said, isn't it? 🙂🙃🙂🙃

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Pretty much but I added some extra working space :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Pretty much but I added some extra working space :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

🤣🤣🤣

Ok, basically we agree about the numbers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

🤣🤣🤣

Yes we do. :grin:

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

With 24 monthly, 4 weekly and 6 incrementals I get 209.63 TB (199.63 TB without the neccessary working space in the repo).

Without the ReFS reduction you would have 24 monthly and 5 weekliy Fulls, this would sum to 812 TB. So, the calculated 199 TB are a reduction of about 1 to 4.

Not bad, I think….

—- So based on this customer will need a 209.63tb of storage? I think that is too much for a 2yr retention in disk? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

🤣🤣🤣

—- I am really confused in the sizing, why this sizing needs to add “1.37tb” what if there is only minimal change on the daily backup?
And what if all changes already have a same copy so it should dedup since that is part of the feature?

So in this sizing tool veeam assumed that there is unique data that is almost equal to “1.37tb”?

can you help me to figure out? 😊 i am comparing it to others backup, I do have the experience when it comes to arcserve and rubrik backup. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

🤣🤣🤣

—- I am really confused in the sizing, why this sizing needs to add “1.37tb” what if there is only minimal change on the daily backup?
And what if all changes already have a same copy so it should dedup since that is part of the feature?

So in this sizing tool veeam assumed that there is unique data that is almost equal to “1.37tb”?

can you help me to figure out? 😊 i am comparing it to others backup, I do have the experience when it comes to arcserve and rubrik backup. Thanks

If you look at the tool picture the change rate is set to 10% (Conservative) for daily backups and how it calculates the incremental sizing based on the total size of backup which in this case is about 28TB.

This number can be reduced lower and you will see a lower number based on what is selected.  So this is just showing what would a 10% change rate look like.

The storage requirement is fairly accurate but feel free to select the same options I have and reduce the CR dropdown from 10% to something lower.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Not bad, I think….

—- So based on this customer will need a 209.63tb of storage? I think that is too much for a 2yr retention in disk? 

Based on your requirements it is not too high.  This is how the tool works to help calculate storage even with the ReFS/XFS savings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, 1.37 TB for 28 TB data size is not much.

Calculates pretty well to 10% change rate and 50% compression.

If you assume less change rate, then calculate with another value on the calculator.

And the incremental backup backs up changed data only. So, it is “new" data which will not be able to be deduplicated.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

So if you use the Incremental with Weekly Synthetic just to cover your daily and weekly backups you get this -

Now I am trying to figure out with this tool to get the Monthly backups for 2 year retention using Synthetic backups.

Hi,

Can you help me again for the sizing, Im confused again everytime there is a long term retention,  what will be the output with 12950 source data. Thanks :)

Retention

14D - Daily, incremental

3 Months - Monthly, incremental

10 YRs - Yearly, Full

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi,

I get this result for your retention requirements

Are you using ReFS or XFS?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi,

I get this result for your retention requirements

Are you using ReFS or XFS?

so almost 217Tb of storage and good for 10yrs? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Where do you see 217 TB?

The first output - without ReFS/XFS - is around 118288 GB.

and the second output - with ReFS/XFS - is around 99510 GB.

These are two versions, you don’t have to sum them up.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Where do you see 217 TB?

The first output - without ReFS/XFS - is around 118288 GB.

and the second output - with ReFS/XFS - is around 99510 GB.

These are two versions, you don’t have to sum them up.

ahhh okay missed that one,,, so technically the 14 is referring to the Retention of daily?

For 10 Yr retention, i only need to put the required rentention in Backup Copy Job, no need to put it on the Retention Points section?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I configured 14 days daily with two weekly fulls, three monthly and 10 yearly backups.

In which way you implement this is your decision.

The GFS is always a copy job. so, you will need a primary job to do the actual backup of your systems.
You can find more information about GFS here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/backup_copy_gfs.html?ver=110

When you don’t want a copy job, you can create several primary jobs - one for the daily with the weekly backups, one for the monthly and one for the yearly backups.

The calculation above was an example how much storage you will approximately need.

Comment