Solved

Issue with USB recovery drive booting on windows 11

Userlevel 4

I’m have question about the usb recovery drive. For some reason the recovery will not boot into the bare metal utility, it stops and shows a command window. I’m running latest windows 11 so any thoughts as to why this would be?

thanks

icon

Best answer by Rick Vanover 1 August 2022, 15:07

View original

53 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Welcome to the community @SchrepfV 

How did you create the Recovery Drive? 

This might point you in the right direction:

Veeam Recovery Media - Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you use the newest Version of VBR or Agent to create the recovery Media?

Userlevel 4

Yes I did.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Welcome to the community @SchrepfV 

How did you create the Recovery Drive? 

This might point you in the right direction:

Veeam Recovery Media - Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Guide

You can try following this but another option which might work is to use the media creator to do an ISO file then burn that to a USB after with a tool like Rufus.  I always use ISO and then burn it myself to USB for boot as it could be an issue with UEFI vs BIOS boot in your system as well so this utility allows you to create the proper one and burn the ISO image.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Absolutely, as @Chris.Childerhose suggested, Rufus rocks. Try that.

Userlevel 4

Thanks, will give burning the ISO with Rufus a try and advise

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks, will give burning the ISO with Rufus a try and advise

Let us know how it goes and hopefully resolves the issue.

Userlevel 4

Hi,

Just tried the Rufus utility withe the Veeam ISO and unfortunately still booting up and stoping at the cmd

window. 😞

See jpg’s attached.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi,

Just tried the Rufus utility withe the Veeam ISO and unfortunately still booting up and stoping at the cmd

window. 😞

See jpg’s attached.

Doesn’t appear a meno before that?

Version of agent? Last one?

When creating .iso did you get errors?

I see some related issue with ESET antivirus while creating iso.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If you try to run

X:\VeeamRecovery\Veeam.EndPoint.Recovery.exe

it does something?

Userlevel 4

Hi,

window. 😞

See jpg’s attached.

Doesn’t appear a meno before that?

Version of agent? Last one?

When creating .iso did you get errors?

I see some related issue with ESET antivirus while creating iso.

Hi,

• No memo or anything before the cmd box during boot from the USB
  • version 5.0.3.4708, yes this is the latest one
  • no, do not get any error when creating the .iso file
  • use no antivirus programs other than the windows 11 default
Userlevel 4

If you try to run

it does something?

where should i run this, in the cmd window?

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you try to run

it does something?

thanks

Yes exactly 

Userlevel 4

If you try to run

it does something?

thanks

Yes exactly 

just tried it and nothing happens, it only goes back to x;\windows\system32>

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@SchrepfV are you sure your PC is using UEFI and not normal BIOS?

After that check, I suggest to open a case to support to resolve this issue:
https://www.veeam.com/support.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yes I think something is not being done right here as this should work.  If done wrong you get the command prompt if the system cannot boot from it.

Userlevel 4

Yes I think something is not being done right here as this should work.  If done wrong you get the command prompt if the system cannot boot from it.

Definitely is running UEFI on a year old desktop system. Just for the heck of it I remade 2 USB’s with 1 from ISO and the the other from the Veeam app and both showed no errors during the process but fail at boot. 

I will try to ask Veeam support but as do not have a company email and am using the free windows agent I’m not sure i will get any support from them. 

Thanks for all your help as its is much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Definitely is running UEFI on a year old desktop system. Just for the heck of it I remade 2 USB’s with 1 from ISO and the the other from the Veeam app and both showed no errors during the process but fail at boot. 

I will try to ask Veeam support but as do not have a company email and am using the free windows agent I’m not sure i will get any support from them. 

No problem let us know what happens to help others.

Userlevel 4

Hi Chris, 

Here is the latest update.

Just received reply from Veeam, look like their schedule will not allow support on this issue.

Looks like I’ll need to find a solution on this without Veeam’s support. 

Best,

Volker

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Chris, 

Here is the latest update.

Just received reply from Veeam, look like their schedule will not allow support on this issue.

Looks like I’ll need to find a solution on this without Veeam’s support. 

Best,

Volker

You need to open another ticket and reference this one as they should not auto-close them.  Even post the issue on the Forum referencing the old and new ticket numbers to get action.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You need to open another ticket and reference this one as they should not auto-close them.  Even post the issue on the Forum referencing the old and new ticket numbers to get action.

@Chris.Childerhose

Of course, they can be closed. Free, community and NFR licenses gets only support on best effort. If our support engineers have free capacity, they take on the free cases. 
But if the support load is high, then free cases will be closed after some days.

That‘s why it is important to have a paid license when you backup a production environment. In case of restore issues, you can lose a lot more money if you can‘t restore your data instead of paying a license with guaranteed support. 

The forum can help sometimes, but not always. Technical issues should be solved by our support :) If it‘s an environmental problem, then log analysis is required, which cannot be done by the R&D forum.

Userlevel 4

@Chris.Childerhose

Of course, they can be closed. Free, community and NFR licenses gets only support on best effort. If our support engineers have free capacity, they take on the free cases. 
But if the support load is high, then free cases will be closed after some days.

That‘s why it is important to have a paid license when you backup a production environment. In case of restore issues, you can lose a lot more money if you can‘t restore your data instead of paying a license with guaranteed support. 

The forum can help sometimes, but not always. Technical issues should be solved by our support :) If it‘s an environmental problem, then log analysis is required, which cannot be done by the R&D forum.

Completely understand, thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@SchrepfV

Your welcome.

It would help, if you can describe all steps taken (probably with screenshots). Or take a video from the boot process until the cmd window shows up and upload it to youtube so we can see whats happening exactly.

You can post the Video to this community.

If we still don’t have an answer, you can try our R&D Forum. Just open a new case first and provide the case number in your forum topic. :)

Userlevel 4

Hi, All the steps and screen shots are in the beginning of this topic.

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@SchrepfV have you tried to create recovery USB from another PC and the use that to boot into recovery from yours? If there’s no RAID or particular driver, it should works.

Comment