Solved

Issue with USB recovery drive booting on windows 11

Userlevel 4

I’m have question about the usb recovery drive. For some reason the recovery will not boot into the bare metal utility, it stops and shows a command window. I’m running latest windows 11 so any thoughts as to why this would be?

thanks

icon

Best answer by Rick Vanover 1 August 2022, 15:07

View original

53 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Welcome to the community @SchrepfV 

How did you create the Recovery Drive? 

This might point you in the right direction:

Veeam Recovery Media - Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Guide

You can try following this but another option which might work is to use the media creator to do an ISO file then burn that to a USB after with a tool like Rufus.  I always use ISO and then burn it myself to USB for boot as it could be an issue with UEFI vs BIOS boot in your system as well so this utility allows you to create the proper one and burn the ISO image.

I have the same issue with a Dell XPS-9520 and Windows 11 22H2. Did the support find a solution in the meantime? I like Veeam as a backup system for my private windows PC but if it does not work for me any more, I might have to look for other solutions...

Userlevel 4

@SchrepfV have you tried to create recovery USB from another PC and the use that to boot into recovery from yours? If there’s no RAID or particular driver, it should works.

This was my suggestion next - I think the ability of the source PC to make a boot media may be the question at this point.

So I can say that I’ve made recovery images across many systems, never had an issue. I’ve shared them left right up and down and they work well, including across versions. The epitome of “it works” but “may not be supported” - so try a different PC, install the free agent, make a recovery image and try again.  Will say, I’ve been fiddling with the agent since 2014, never seen this situation.

Hi,

I unfortunately do not have another PC to make the media with but I can confirm that all other bootable usb drives that I have made and tested without the Veeam media work fine. Also I have been using the free version of Veeam for years and have made many bootable USB’s with the Veeam media with no problem. Really believe it is an issue with this latest windows 11 update and the Veeam media that is the issue as it was working on this PC before the update. Also it appears that others are having the same issue  with their windows 11 updates and the Veeam bootable media.

I just reproduced the issue on Win 11 22H2 and I can tell you what worked for me: spinning up a VM with Windows 10, installed Veeam Agent in it and creating the recovery media from it passing the USB stick.

Userlevel 4

I just reproduced the issue on Win 11 22H2 and I can tell you what worked for me: spinning up a VM with Windows 10, installed Veeam Agent in it and creating the recovery media from it passing the USB stick.

Thanks, I tried this and it worked.. little bit of a workaround but at least I have recovery media on usb stick that now works.. Thanks so much

This is why preview builds should NEVER be used.

Or you have an alternative for backups should the Veeam Agent not work.  😉

This is actually a foolish design and alternatives need to be identified and implemented. Recovery should not be reliant on building a working image on a specific version of an OS. I SHOULD be able to install whatever i want including preview builds and use the tool I pay good money for, to recover should I need to.

Other vendors offer linux based recovery media, this is probably a good addition to the product and I hope it's one that comes along with V12.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You need to open another ticket and reference this one as they should not auto-close them.  Even post the issue on the Forum referencing the old and new ticket numbers to get action.

@Chris.Childerhose

Of course, they can be closed. Free, community and NFR licenses gets only support on best effort. If our support engineers have free capacity, they take on the free cases. 
But if the support load is high, then free cases will be closed after some days.

That‘s why it is important to have a paid license when you backup a production environment. In case of restore issues, you can lose a lot more money if you can‘t restore your data instead of paying a license with guaranteed support. 

The forum can help sometimes, but not always. Technical issues should be solved by our support :) If it‘s an environmental problem, then log analysis is required, which cannot be done by the R&D forum.

Userlevel 4

You need to open another ticket and reference this one as they should not auto-close them.  Even post the issue on the Forum referencing the old and new ticket numbers to get action.

@Chris.Childerhose

Of course, they can be closed. Free, community and NFR licenses gets only support on best effort. If our support engineers have free capacity, they take on the free cases. 
But if the support load is high, then free cases will be closed after some days.

That‘s why it is important to have a paid license when you backup a production environment. In case of restore issues, you can lose a lot more money if you can‘t restore your data instead of paying a license with guaranteed support. 

The forum can help sometimes, but not always. Technical issues should be solved by our support :) If it‘s an environmental problem, then log analysis is required, which cannot be done by the R&D forum.

Completely understand, thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@SchrepfV have you tried to create recovery USB from another PC and the use that to boot into recovery from yours? If there’s no RAID or particular driver, it should works.

Userlevel 1

Windows Version installed

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Windows Version installed

So that is the next release of Windows from the original 22000.xxx.  Not sure if that might be the issue and Veeam needs to update the 5.x agent or wait for the 6.x with v12.

I tested the restore process on 22000.xxx builds and it worked.  I have not yet tested it on this build nor the DEV channel for Insider builds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This is why preview builds should NEVER be used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@sekrz

The issue with the recovery medias is confirmed. 

Please see our statement in the RnD forums:

https://forums.veeam.com/post467837.html#p467837

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Welcome to the community @SchrepfV 

How did you create the Recovery Drive? 

This might point you in the right direction:

Veeam Recovery Media - Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Did you use the newest Version of VBR or Agent to create the recovery Media?

Userlevel 4

Yes I did.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Absolutely, as @Chris.Childerhose suggested, Rufus rocks. Try that.

Userlevel 4

Thanks, will give burning the ISO with Rufus a try and advise

Userlevel 4

Sure there are many more with this issue and can only hope that the next update (6.0) will fix it.

Userlevel 4

Hi,

Just tried the Rufus utility withe the Veeam ISO and unfortunately still booting up and stoping at the cmd

window. 😞

See jpg’s attached.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi,

Just tried the Rufus utility withe the Veeam ISO and unfortunately still booting up and stoping at the cmd

window. 😞

See jpg’s attached.

Doesn’t appear a meno before that?

Version of agent? Last one?

When creating .iso did you get errors?

I see some related issue with ESET antivirus while creating iso.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If you try to run

X:\VeeamRecovery\Veeam.EndPoint.Recovery.exe

it does something?

Userlevel 4

If you try to run

it does something?

where should i run this, in the cmd window?

thanks

Userlevel 4

If you try to run

it does something?

where should i run this, in the cmd window?

thanks

Yes exactly 

just tried it and nothing happens, it only goes back to x;\windows\system32>

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@SchrepfV are you sure your PC is using UEFI and not normal BIOS?

After that check, I suggest to open a case to support to resolve this issue:
https://www.veeam.com/support.html

Comment