Solved

How to control type of DB for install (Postres/MSSQL) during unattended setup?

Userlevel 5

Team,

Can’t find how to specify the type of DB to be installed during the v12 unattended setup. I want Postgres =)

Anyone can help?

Alexey.

icon

Best answer by mkevenaar 17 February 2023, 10:41

View original

20 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Morning 🙂

The page related to unattended installation seems out of date. It references SQL 2016 for example whereas now SQL 2017 is bundled with the installer.

I suggest you email Veeam.External.Docfeedback@veeam.com referencing this page: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/silent_install_vbr.html?ver=120 and ask for the documentation to be updated. I’m suggesting you do this because whenever I’ve emailed them they’ve replied once the change has been implemented so you’re aware of the updates 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Morning 🙂

The page related to unattended installation seems out of date. It references SQL 2016 for example whereas now SQL 2017 is bundled with the installer.

I suggest you email Veeam.External.Docfeedback@veeam.com referencing this page: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/silent_install_vbr.html?ver=120 and ask for the documentation to be updated. I’m suggesting you do this because whenever I’ve emailed them they’ve replied once the change has been implemented so you’re aware of the updates 🙂

Aside from the missing information in the docs, you can find this information in the following folder on the ISO: \Setup\Silent\AnswerFiles\VBR\VbrAnswerFile_install.xml

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I guess when you do a fresh installation, pg will be used while during an upgrade, mssql is still in use - that’s the default situation on the UI, so I guess it’s exactly the same on the unattended installation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I thought the new v12 ISO did not include SQL and if you wanted to use that it had to be installed first before Veeam v12 since the default in the installation is PostgreSQL?  I could be wrong but remember this discussion somewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I thought the new v12 ISO did not include SQL and if you wanted to use that it had to be installed first before Veeam v12 since the default in the installation is PostgreSQL?  I could be wrong but remember this discussion somewhere.

As far as  know MS SQL is not included in the ISO anymore and you have to install it from a different source.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

We are already working on the missing information in this documentation.

Please use the following parameter for VBR:

VBR_SQLSERVER_ENGINE

0 = MSSQL

1 = PSSQL

Please use the following parameter for EM:

VBREM_SQLSERVER_ENGINE

0 = MSSQL

1 = PSSQL

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

We are already working on the missing information in this documentation.

Please use the following parameter for VBR:

VBR_SQLSERVER_ENGINE

0 = MSSQL

1 = PSSQL

Please use the following parameter for EM:

VBREM_SQLSERVER_ENGINE

0 = MSSQL

1 = PSSQL

If you set it to MSSQL, will it download and install SQL for you since the package is not in the ISO anymore?  That would be something if it could.  😁

Userlevel 5

Isn’t it a reason to love VEEAM? Tricky question and answers (withing hours!) is not only useful but contains info you can’t easily find by google-fy!

As I think it may be useful in turn to someone later, let me summarize above useful answers.

Thanks @MicoolPaul  - documentation issues may be complained to  Veeam.External.Docfeedback@veeam.com  with reference of the URL with improvement opportunity. (I did =)

Thanks @mkevenaar  - that would probably help more then anything else. Using the xlm’s in Setup/Silent directory we can learn more then from the online docs ;-)

@Chris.Childerhose and @mcz  - thanks guys, I’ll update on Monday with default behavior so it can be referenced. My goal is to do complete new environment of VBR, proxies, Immutable backup and tape server totally automated based on Powershell.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Chris.Childerhose 

Unfortunately not 😅

But it‘s a script, so you can automize the download and installation of MSSQL before running the vbr Installation command

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Isn’t it a reason to love VEEAM? Tricky question and answers (withing hours!) is not only useful but contains info you can’t easily find by google-fy!

As I think it may be useful in turn to someone later, let me summarize above useful answers.

Thanks @MicoolPaul  - documentation issues may be complained to  Veeam.External.Docfeedback@veeam.com  with reference of the URL with improvement opportunity. (I did =)

Thanks @mkevenaar  - that would probably help more then anything else. Using the xlm’s in Setup/Silent directory we can learn more then from the online docs ;-)

@Chris.Childerhoseand @mcz  - thanks guys, I’ll update on Monday with default behavior so it can be referenced. My goal is to do complete new environment of VBR, proxies, Immutable backup and tape server totally automated based on Powershell.

If your question is resolved, could you please mark the answer that helped you the most as best answer? Thanks in advance :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

+1

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Chris.Childerhose

Unfortunately not 😅

But it‘s a script, so you can automize the download and installation of MSSQL before running the vbr Installation command

+1

Userlevel 5

Unfortunately I am still having problem with Postgres install during the silent installation.

Command I am using:

R:\Backup\Server.x64.msi /qn ACCEPTEULA=1 ACCEPT_THIRDPARTY_LICENSES=1 ACCEPT_LICENSING_POLICY=1 ACCEPT_REQUIRED_SOFTWARE=1 VBR_SQLSERVER_INSTALL=1 VBR_LICENSE_FILE=$LicensePath AWS_INSTALL=0 AZURE_INSTALL=0 GCP_INSTALL=0 KASTEN_INSTALL=0 VM_CATALOGPATH=D:\VBRCatalog  VBR_IRCACHE=D:\IRCache /norestart

Below logs (sorry, but forum not allowing me to past log text into the post - keep saying unknown error) 

As for me installer not even trying to install, but straight away trying to connect to installed DB instance

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

As for me installer not even trying to install, but straight away trying to connect to installed DB instance

Silent installer will not install postgres for you, nor will it install any of the other dependencies.

The GUI installers basically launches a bunch of installers in serial. You now have to do that on your own

Userlevel 5

Roger that, thanks Maurice. In this case, what VBR_SQLSERVER_INSTALL parameter does? I was confused with the below description in the answer file:

“Parameter VBR_SQLSERVER_INSTALL specifies if bundled PostgreSQL server will be installed.” And then:

Parameter VBR_SQLSERVER_ENGINE specifies SQL server type: '1' for PostgreSQL server, '0' for Microsoft SQL server.  Required when VBR_SQLSERVER_INSTALL is set to '0’

My understanding was with VBR_SQLSERVER_INSTALL=1 it is supposed to install DB engine so you don’t need to specify VBR_SQLSERVER_ENGINE parameter.

And following the same, in the log: 

[VEEAM] INFO    Found database action (Action=Install)

[VEEAM] INFO    Performing setup action (Action=2)

Regards,

Alexey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I would suggest to set that parameter to 0, take control and install postgres yourself

when doing so, you know what you have set, it is repeatable and in a known state

Userlevel 5

I would suggest to set that parameter to 0, take control and install postgres yourself

when doing so, you know what you have set, it is repeatable and in a known state

Agreed, that is definitely the best way and I’ll follow this way. But docs are still misleading ;-)

Thanks again. 

Userlevel 5

Ok, I decided not to give up =)

In the matter of covering topic in full.  If you run 

ISO:\Setup\Silent\Veeam.Silent.Install.exe with .xml answer file containing parameters as a parameter (example located at AnswerFiles folder) everything works as expected, including installation of PostgreSQL.

Now topic can be closed ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Agreed, that is definitely the best way and I’ll follow this way. But docs are still misleading ;-)

Thanks again. 

@AlexeyGoncharov 

Our team is working on the update for the user guide.

best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Great thread! Don’t forget to remove the optional sections you are not using, for example service account :)

Comment