Solved

Change socket liscenced name

Userlevel 3

Hi all and thanks for reading!!

I have a socket liscencing in a host called “roma6-1”. Now, i updated the esxi and the new name of the host is “roma-linux-1”. Well, i revoke the liscence of the host “roma-1” but when i run a job, it still appears with the old name “roma6-1”, i dont know why doesnt appear the new hostname “roma-linux-1” as appears in the inventory of veeam for example. I have searched in my dns, esxi conf, idrac conf, etc. and all is fine. Id should be something cached in veem, i suppouse, but i dont know where looking for.

¿Can you help me please?

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 11 January 2024, 17:19

View original

26 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

When you rename a server Veeam retains the old name.  You can use this KB to help rename it in the Veeam console - KB1905: Change Managed Server Name/FQDN/IP in Veeam Backup & Replication

Userlevel 3

thanks for so fast answer!! im goint to read it just now!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

thanks for so fast answer!! im goint to read it just now!!

Not a problem at all.  If that solves the problem, please ensure to mark my post as the answer.

Userlevel 3

hi again!! it doesnt work for me. Here is the error (it´s in spanish):

PS C:\Users\adm-grodriguezr> $Servers = Get-VBRServer -name "roma06-9"
PS C:\Users\adm-grodriguezr> $Servers.SetName("roma-linux-02")
No se puede llamar a un método en una expresión con valor NULL.
En línea: 1 Carácter: 1
+ $Servers.SetName("roma-linux-02")
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

FYI in the inventory i see Vcenter7 name, cluster name and hosts names well, its only in the managed liscensed socket page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

hi again!! it doesnt work for me. Here is the error (it´s in spanish):

PS C:\Users\adm-grodriguezr> $Servers = Get-VBRServer -name "roma06-9"
PS C:\Users\adm-grodriguezr> $Servers.SetName("roma-linux-02")
No se puede llamar a un método en una expresión con valor NULL.
En línea: 1 Carácter: 1
+ $Servers.SetName("roma-linux-02")
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

FYI in the inventory i see Vcenter7 name, cluster name and hosts names well, its only in the managed liscensed socket page.

Can you please share a screenshot of the page in Veeam console you are referring to?  If the Managed Servers section shows the correct naming and it happens to be the license page, then I would not worry too much about that as I am not sure of a way to change this.

Userlevel 3

For example, roma06-3 is roma-linux-06, roma06-5 is roma-linux-08 and roma06-9 is roma-linux-02. 

Tanks!! oh !! and happy new year !! ^^

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Did you try to revoke the license and then in the top screenshot - rescan the vCenter7 server to see if it will apply the new hostnames?  To me this is a moot point and something I personally would not worry about as long as the backups run from those hosts.

Userlevel 3

as you can see i manage a vcenter7. FYI the other hosts appears with the correct name. I dont understand wath is happening xD

Userlevel 3

oh yes, i did it, i tried to revoke the liscence many times, restart the server, clean the cache, change de dns server, rescan de vcenter… nothing works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Then at this point I would test a backup of a VM on the hosts you are trying to change. Maybe Veeam will update the hostname for the license on next backup run?  Otherwise, I am out of ideas.  😂

Userlevel 3

jejejeje yes it´s the same for me.

In fact, that is the problem, when I revoke the license and force a backup of a machine on a known server, instead of taking the new name it keeps taking the old one, it is incredibly annoying.

Dont worry, im out of ideas too jejejeje

Thanks so much for your help!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In fact, that is the problem, when I revoke the license and force a backup of a machine on a known server, instead of taking the new name it keeps taking the old one, it is incredibly annoying.

Not a problem at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I wonder what would happen if you reinstalled the license file again as if it was new?  Maybe it might update the hostnames?  One last shot.  LOL

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Is the DNS record properly changed? I assume so if vCenter sees it OK, but doesn't hurt to ask. 

Userlevel 3

Hi you all ! sorry for the delay.

Oh yes sure, mi DNS y ok, vcenter is ok, etc. It was the firs thing i did.

Mi last bullet is that, reinstall the license or reinstall the veeam completed finally, but im trying to leave this option to the end, many jobs in production, you know... But if this weekend y cannot solve it probably i will do it next week. 

Be sure i will tell you about it !!

Thanks and have a nice weekend !!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Appreciate the follow up @ajsoldevilla 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@ajsoldevilla - also, after revoking the license, did you then reboot/restart Backup Service, then re-run your backups? I don’t the change occurs until after the next backup. I’ve revoked licensing many times with no issues. I have done name changes...but by replacing hardware and didn’t have the same Host, but replaced it with a modified name change (e.g. instead of “<hostname>-1, I added it as <hostname>-01), and it worked fine dong that. 

Well...after the weekend, let us know how things go. At the very least, ping Support to see what additional info they can share.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well let us know how things are going after this weekend and into next week.  As Shane said many of us have revoked licenses before without issues so if Support assists you let us know what they say.

Have a great weekend.

Userlevel 3

Hi!!

FYI i revoke the licenses, reload and refech de infrastructure,  i used ccleaner to clean temps and registry, i reboot the server and… it dindt work!! jejeje !! Still appears the old hostname. Thanks!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

At this point, you're best bet is to contact support. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If it is really a bother, then contact Support as noted but to me if the backups are working at this point, I would not worry about the license showing the wrong hostname.  If the console was wrong, I would fix it. 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Support may have to escalate if a DB change is required, but usually revoke should work.  I don’t often change host names, I usually replace them, or they sit there under the same name for years. 

Userlevel 3

Hi !!

The jobs work fine. Ill do what yoy say probably.

Thanks for the help!! Ill contact support with and wait for answar.

If i finally get the solution i will tel you!!

Thanksssss!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Ok, keep us posted what they say is the resolution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just a quick tip as well. Before cleaning registry, running ccleaner, or doing something where you are not 100% sure of the outcome,  I’d always call support. 

If it’s not in the documentation or a KB, support is usually the next best step to get an approved answer.

Even places like this are a great source of info, but take support’s advice over people you don’t know on the internet.

I’d hate to make something worse then have to call them and let them know I was being creative 😂

Comment