Skip to main content

Hey Everyone,

Last week, we reintroduced our vCenter migration tool (Veeam VM Migrator Tool). The tool is supported starting in version 12.2 and is compatible with configurations using both MSSQL and PostgreSQL databases.  Let's dive a little into Moref IDs…

What is a Moref ID?

In VMware, a Moref ID (Managed Object Reference ID) is a unique identifier assigned to different objects or resources within the vSphere environment, like virtual machines, hosts, or data stores. It helps VMware keep track of and manage these objects.

Think of it like a name tag that VMware uses to identify and reference each specific object in its system.

The MoRef ID naming starts with a prefix stating the object type followed by a hyphen and a number, for example, vm-197, host-29, domain-c26. Every object has its own MoRef address: https://<VCENTER>/mob/?moid=<OBJECTID>.

So why is it Important?

When a virtual machine (VM) is added to a job in Veeam Backup & Replication (VBR), that VM's vSphere-assigned Managed Object Reference ID (MORef ID) is recorded within the VBR configuration database. In addition to the VM's MORef-ID, the BIOS UUID of the VM is recorded in the database as a secondary reference point for identifying the machine. VBR then uses the MORef ID to refer to the VM when interacting with the vSphere environment. This ensures that VBR always interacts with the correct VM, and tasks are unaffected should the VM's name be changed.

When a vCenter (VC or VCSA) is either rebuilt with a new database or a new VC is built and old resources are migrated, that vSphere environment will assign the VMs new MORef-IDs. This change in MORef-ID causes the entries within the VBR configuration database to become invalid. This, in turn, causes VBR to be unable to make requests to interact with and protect those VMs because the MORef-IDs it would attempt to reference when communicating with the VC have become invalid.

Enter the VM Migrator Tool

The Veeam VM Migrator Tool (Veeam.Backup.VmMigrator.exe) helps customers resolve MORef ID mismatches between their VMware environment and the VBR configuration database. By correcting these discrepancies, the tool ensures that jobs for VMs with updated MORef IDs can continue using incremental processing, preventing the unnecessary full treatment of those VMs as entirely new instances.

Please check the Knowledge Base article for more important information such as requirements, considerations and limitations: https://www.veeam.com/kb2136

The tool operates at a vCenter level and encompasses all Moref ID objects.  There is currently no option for per-vm.

Disclaimer:

This Veeam-developed tool is provided as a courtesy and is not supported by Veeam Technical Support.

If any issues arise during the usage of this tool, customers are advised to restore from a configuration backup to revert the Veeam Backup & Replication configuration to the last known stable state.

Veeam Technical Support will not assist with the usage or troubleshooting of this tool.

This is definitely a great tool offered by Veeam even though not supported.  It works well and I have used it several times for migrations.

Can’t wait to check it out. Thanks 😊 

Thank you @andy.sturniolo for sharing and the explanation on this great tool.

Is this tool only for migrating all VMs from an existing VC to an empty one? Or can it operate on VM base? We are currently consolidating our 2 VC into one. There are VMs in both VC, some host and cluster with their VMs will now be migrated to VC A. Can I used this tool  to map all VMs from VC B? 

Is this tool only for migrating all VMs from an existing VC to an empty one? Or can it operate on VM base? We are currently consolidating our 2 VC into one. There are VMs in both VC, some host and cluster with their VMs will now be migrated to VC A. Can I used this tool  to map all VMs from VC B? 

Yes you should be able to do this as well. I cannot see why not and what would require a new VC.

The KB KB2136: Veeam VM Migrator Tool is not that clear to be but I didn’t try it out yet

The KB KB2136: Veeam VM Migrator Tool is not that clear to be but I didn’t try it out yet

I would try it out and see. I cannot see it not working .

I’m looking now at the PDF in the download that is a bit more detailed. What will the first (optional) step do? Is there just information gathered (where?) or will this already write to vCenter/VBR database? And in general, where do I run the tool? On VBR server, on any other host that has a console installed. Also, an example output for the Migration Task File would be nice. With the limitations and considerations at the beginning and the warnings, I’m not really sure I want to trial and error this. But it sounds cool ;)

Step 1. Update Existing VMs BIOS_UUID

This is an optional step that can be performed before migrating to the new vCenter in order to improve the accuracy of future VMs matching. If old vCenter is no longer operating, you can skip this step.

To update existing VMs BIOS_UUD, run the utility with the following syntax: Veeam.Backup.VmMigrator.exe prepareformigration <old_vCenter_Name>

Unsure as I have not used the utility much lately but I would suggest creating a test VM and run through the process.  Only way you are going to know for sure.

The tool I run it on VBR server itself.

yep, must run on VBR. I tried the premigration step but it fails with “Error: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication\DatabaseConfigurations' is denied.”. I started the tool in a powershell session and if I start regedit there I can access the regkey. Nothing useful in the tools log.

Comment