All-Demo Session & Installable ISO for Veeam Hardened Repository

All-Demo Session & Installable ISO for Veeam Hardened Repository

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

199 comments

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@ThatsNASt : yes, single-user mode is the only way to get into the system after the first reboot. That’s by design. The blog post regnor mentioned is the correct one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Rick Vanover @HannesK -- Trying to do another deployment after two successful ones but this time I am seeing the following message after a complete setup of the VM with the ISO file but cannot connect to it from VCC server - get the below error.  Any suggestions?  The VCC server can reach the VM via ping.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Rick Vanover @HannesK -- Trying to do another deployment after two successful ones but this time I am seeing the following message after a complete setup of the VM with the ISO file but cannot connect to it from VCC server - get the below error.  Any suggestions?  The VCC server can reach the VM via ping.

Are any ports blocked, @Chris.Childerhose - as the transport service would need to communicate. Also - I had something like this happen in DHCP labs where on next book a new IP was taken in, so I started ensuring DNS names were used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Are any ports blocked, @Chris.Childerhose - as the transport service would need to communicate. Also - I had something like this happen in DHCP labs where on next book a new IP was taken in, so I started ensuring DNS names were used.

Yeah, no ports are blocked as this is in our MGMT stack of VMs and VLANs.  I am using Static IP addresses also not DHCP, so I specify the details.  I also ensured that the DNS is updated but going to try something else now that you mention that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well, my theory did not work so I am stuck on this one DC for deploying these.  Need to do some thinking but if anything, else comes to mind do share.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Well, my theory did not work so I am stuck on this one DC for deploying these.  Need to do some thinking but if anything, else comes to mind do share.

Interesting - one random idea Chris….  A) Reboot the VHR and B) do an infrastructure rescan after it is back online.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Interesting - one random idea Chris….  A) Reboot the VHR and B) do an infrastructure rescan after it is back online.

I will give that a try and see.  I even compared this DC and VMware settings to ones that have worked and they are identical. I even ensured EFI and Secure Boot turned on.  Let me see what this does and update here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Duplicate MAC? If still on a VM...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Shouldn't be as I even deleted the VM from disk to recreate it from scratch and use the previous June 5th ISO too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Shouldn't be as I even deleted the VM from disk to recreate it from scratch and use the previous June 5th ISO too.

OK makes sense. I am not sure why it can’t see it. Any VLAN stuff? That’s about only next thing to think of.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I have the feeling, that this has nothing to do with the ISO itself. So my suggestion would be to ask support, because it’s regular Ubuntu 20.04 which is supported.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

OK makes sense. I am not sure why it can’t see it. Any VLAN stuff? That’s about only next thing to think of.

Yeah, the VDS that I am connected to the port group has a VLAN, so I add that to the network config when setting up the ISO VHR.  I did the same thing in other DCs where it worked so not sure about this one and why it is not working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have the feeling, that this has nothing to do with the ISO itself. So my suggestion would be to ask support, because it’s regular Ubuntu 20.04 which is supported.

Thanks @HannesK.  I will see what else I can come up with and go from there.  Will ask Support if needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Or something environmental/equipment-related.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Or something environmental/equipment-related.

That was my next thought as the storage is the same but the hosts are on Cisco UCS whereas the other DCs were HPE C7000 Blade chassis.  I will check everything over as there is something off and will find it.  😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Seeing these messages fairly frequently and can eventually get the installer to work.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Trying to install to a Dell R7515 with Dual Broadcom 10Gb SFP+ connected to a Meraki switch.  I want to create a bond to use both 10Gb links.  I’ve tried a couple different bond types to no avail.  Sometimes, the link is active when I create the bond, but every time, when the deployment gets to the installation phase, it errors out.  I’ve ruled out incompatibility with the 10Gb NIC by deploying on a single 10Gb link (no bond).  Can anyone shed some light on which bond type and the specific settings for the bond and for the Meraki Link Aggregate?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @David Tate BIG  → This is really good.

Can you try the bond with the ‘plain’ Ubuntu HWE 20.04 installation media, does it behave the same?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey @David Tate BIG  → This is really good.

Can you try the bond with the ‘plain’ Ubuntu HWE 20.04 installation media, does it behave the same?

I can certainly give that a try.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @David Tate BIG  → This is really good.

I can certainly give that a try.

Appreciated - why I say that is the network configuration of the installable .ISO is for that part of the wizard basically unchanged from pure Ubuntu.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just had one of those AHA! moments.  I tried the ‘plain’ Ubuntu install and still had issues, but then I remembered something about ESXi, which is essentially a very special Linux distribution.  It is recommended that when you Team NICs in ESXi and connect to a Meraki switch you leave the switchports as standard access or trunk ports as appropriate.  You don’t put the ports in an Aggregate.

I did that and the ‘plain’ Ubuntu install worked like a charm.  I ran ifconfig and saw basically equal traffic on the two NICs in the bond.

So, I deployed the Hardened Linux Repository from the ISO downloaded here and everything looks great so far.

The bond mode I used was balance-rr.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks for letting us know @David Tate BIG 

Userlevel 1
Badge

So now that I have the Hardened Repository deployed I need to add it to the Veeam infrastructure, but I keep getting an error when Veeam tries to add the Transport Service on the new Hardened Repository service.  Can’t add the repository without the Data Mover.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What error did you get in the second task/line? @David Tate BIG 

Userlevel 1
Badge

The “Installing Transport service Error...” is quite lengthy.  It seems the general gist of it is a space issue, or so that error would indicate.

Installing Transport service Error: ExecCommand [tar] [xvzf /opt/veeam/deployment/Upload/VeeamTransport_12.0.0.1423.tar.gz/VeeamTransport_12.0.0.1423.tar.gz -C /root/tmp/VeeamBackupTemp/{3e490f44-43e5-426f-b8ea-a8260fbee88e}.5ba8.7fb256fb7740 --no-same-owner ] has exited with code: [2], message: [tar: ./vddk_6_0/lib64/libvim-types.so: Wrote only 7168 of 10240 bytes

That is followed by a bunch of “tar:./vddk...No space left on device” lines for various files it is trying to unpack/install.

The last two lines of errors are fairly non-descript.

“Failed to save Linux server: Single-use credentials require Veeam Data Mover service installed.”

“Infrastructure item save failed Error: Single-use credentials require Veeam Data Mover service installed.”