All-Demo Session & Installable ISO for Veeam Hardened Repository

All-Demo Session & Installable ISO for Veeam Hardened Repository

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

199 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello,

I’ve just deployed a test repo, and now I’m starting to play with it. Once rebooted, I’ve realized that it’s impossible to run sudo to change disk layout, for example I wan to modify a LVM instance, or extend a filesystem and I can’t see how to do this…..

Any idea?

I believe you need to log in as root or enable the login again after the deployment since the hardening of the server removes this.  Once you have the system running why would you want to change it though?  The OS drive is set up with the ISO and the larger drive becomes the backup.  Just curious on the use case to make changes.

I believe the other way to make changes is during the deployment of the ISO as you can manually set up the disk layout.

***UPDATE - Hannes beat me to it LOL ***

What if your backup drive needs to be extended?…..sometimes data grows, or even grows a lot….. We run our production backup in a physical self deployed repo server with hardening tips from Gostev, and others, and I’ve had to extend the repo filesystem because of this… I was just wondering if this ISO was a better option for us

Ok.  That makes sense then as I was just curious.  Then you will need to follow what Hannes said about single-user mode and the URL he posted to do this.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

we also have ideas to support LVM in the future. The plan is to make one large LVM of all volumes except the operating system volume.

extending volumes will probably not be on the roadmap for longer time, because it sounds like a corner case to me with internal disks (customers who are able to manage SAN storage & Linux don’t need the ISO from my point of view)

Userlevel 1

we also have ideas to support LVM in the future. The plan is to make one large LVM of all volumes except the operating system volume.

extending volumes will probably not be on the roadmap for longer time, because it sounds like a corner case to me with internal disks (customers who are able to manage SAN storage & Linux don’t need the ISO from my point of view)

I agree, but you should think on customers that had servers with highly expandable internal storage (we’ve just bought a server that can hold up to 50 internal disks…..)

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

yes, these high density servers are a primary target.

just to be sure: you bought them with less than 50 disks and you plan to add disks somewhen later?

Userlevel 1

yes, these high density servers are a primary target.

just to be sure: you bought them with less than 50 disks and you plan to add disks somewhen later?

not in this case because we run our systems on SAN storage. This server only has a RAID-1 pair of HDD for boot. But it’s an example of a use case for a hardened repo whose storage can be expanded without a SAN environment….

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Expanding or changing the storage layout could be a task which happens once or twice during the lifecycle of a repository server. I do see this with customers who start small and expand later on. In addition changing the network settings could be a task which will have to be done regularly. Probably I would just go the way Hannes describes in his blog post.

Or one could do a repair installation which gives you root/sudo access before the second reboot. I once had to reconfigure NIC Teaming via CLI and was already thinking about reinstalling Ubuntu. For this case I would certainly use the repair installation.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@JavierLarrea : could you maybe tell us, what type of server / model / configuration you used? I’m trying to create a list of “configurations that work”.

yes, we are discussing a configuration tool that allows to configure network and some other settings. 

Userlevel 1

@JavierLarrea : could you maybe tell us, what type of server / model / configuration you used? I’m trying to create a list of “configurations that work”.

yes, we are discussing a configuration tool that allows to configure network and some other settings. 

Hi, We are running our hardened repo in an old IBM xSeries model 3550M3 with a 4 cores Xeon E5630 processor and 8GB RAM. The network connection is a IBM Intel X540-T2 Dual Port 10GBaseT Adapter LP configured as a LACP bond, and the storage HBA is a Qlogic QLE2562 8 GB Dual port card. It is a decomisioned IBM 2805-MC5 System Storage Productivity Center.

You may see the specs in this link https://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/ShowDoc.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_sm/4/877/ENUS2805-_h04/index.html&lang=en&request_locale=en

The only change is the dual port 10G NIC

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

FYI Christoph and Hannes have issued a new version of the .ISO. Updated in the main post.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

FYI Christoph and Hannes have issued a new version of the .ISO. Updated in the main post.

Sweet!  Is there a changelog for it @Rick Vanover ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

the new feature is: it works offline. No other changes :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very cool. Thanks Hannes. Will be testing this one now for my documentation as we plan to use this moving forward to make deploying XFS Hardened Repos for all our backups.  😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Just deployed it without network/internet connection and it just works 😅

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Question - is this ISO eventually going to be posted on a public URL?  I ask as I am doing documentation and will update the URL at that point.  I prefer not to put the one from this post with a password since that changes.  😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Question - is this ISO eventually going to be posted on a public URL?  I ask as I am doing documentation and will update the URL at that point.  I prefer not to put the one from this post with a password since that changes.  😁

We will reach a milestone at some point to then move it to a Veeam.com download. That takes a bit more time - for example, it may take a week to load and stage. We’re not quite sure when that will happen, but I would use http://vee.am/vhrhub for now.  I actually plan on a major reformat of this post at some point.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

We will reach a milestone at some point to then move it to a Veeam.com download. That takes a bit more time - for example, it may take a week to load and stage. We’re not quite sure when that will happen, but I would use http://vee.am/vhrhub for now.  I actually plan on a major reformat of this post at some point.

Thanks for the update, Rick.  Appreciate it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

This is an awesome addition. Thanks for all the team effort you guys put in to make it so much easier! 

The installer errors out as soon as I reach the network config screen early in the setup process.

Trying to install it on a Dell PowerEdge R720 we had lying around.  Downloaded the latest Ubuntu Server 22 LTS and it works fine, so not sure what is wrong with this install image for this particular hardware?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The installer errors out as soon as I reach the network config screen early in the setup process.

Trying to install it on a Dell PowerEdge R720 we had lying around.  Downloaded the latest Ubuntu Server 22 LTS and it works fine, so not sure what is wrong with this install image for this particular hardware?

Hey @Graham → can you PM me the Service Tag # since it is a Dell and we’ll look up the inventory and check on our side?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@Graham : can you maybe test a Ubuntu 20.04 installer whether it detects the network card? I remember the R720 from one of my earlier jobs and they normally work fine with Ubuntu. 

Upgrading the ISO to Ubuntu 22.04 depends on Canonical / DISA providing STIGs. In best case, I guess that’s end of the year.

I want to install Ubuntu Hardened repository on open stack cloud based on KVM.

With normal ISO downloaded from ubuntu, i dont see an option to boot with H/W Kernel during boot phase from ISO

can we use this custom hardened ISO for Cloud based on KVM ? please confirm

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

the HWE kernel requires UEFI. I guess that’s the reason (I don’t have OpenStack / KVM in my lab). The ISO requires UEFI and might even require “UEFI secure boot” in future. If OpenStack can do that, then it should work.

Please remember: The ISO is designed for hardware to avoid an attacker simply deleting the VM. Virtual machines are only for test / lab and not for production.

Thanks for Swift response.

However, if i download ISO from UBUNTU Website and use it to boot on KVM Based cloud, we dont see that option available. Just want to confirm, if we can boot with normal kernel and than install HWE and reboot with new kernel works ? 

we are trying to build Ubuntu Hardened repository in either ways possible, but we dont see a way

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

it’s out of scope of the ISO: I assume there is no reason for the HWE kernel on OpenStack at all. I mean, HWE is “Hardware Enablement Stack”… a VM is not hardware.

If you really want to do it, then you can apply the hardening script manually

https://www.veeam.com/blog/backup-repository-security-disa-stig-ubuntu-step-by-step-guide.html

https://github.com/VeeamHub/veeam-hardened-repository

@Rick Vanover 

• Automatic updates are enabled.
    Is this for systems with access to the internet? what about systems without internet access?
  • The user does not have permissions to update manually.
    Will this be an option in the future for example for systems in a secure network without internet access?