All-Demo Session & Installable ISO for Veeam Hardened Repository

All-Demo Session & Installable ISO for Veeam Hardened Repository

Show first post
This topic has been closed for comments

199 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Chris.Palmisano.26 

RE: Automatic Updates: Then they will fail/run without the ability to check.

RE: update manually:  This isn’t panned at this time as far as I know.

Will share with everyone a new .ISO is coming soon with some additional enhancements.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Chris.Palmisano.26 

RE: update manually:  This isn’t panned at this time as far as I know.

Will share with everyone a new .ISO is coming soon with some additional enhancements.

Ooooh - new enhancements.  🤔

Hi @Chris.Palmisano.26 

​​​​​RE: update manually:  This isn’t panned at this time as far as I know.

​​So just to be clear then without internet connectivity we won’t be able to patch these systems?

​​​​​Look forward to the new enhancements

@Rick Vanover  thanks for the information and quick response!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

HTTP proxy is the only option today

Do you have a Ubuntu mirror on-prem where you would have all security updates? If yes, then we could think about allowing to select APT sources and you can point to your on-prem repository.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Rick Vanover @HannesK --- I am trying to run the ISO file in one of my DC environments to create 3 VHRs.  It crashes and never seems to complete with either of the ISO files.  See the message below but is it due to CPU?  I have the VM set up with 16 vCPU and 32GB of RAM.  Maybe I just need 8x16?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It seems like plenty of resources @Chris.Childerhose  → What does the plain Ubuntul 20.04 install media do on the same equipment?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It seems like plenty of resources @Chris.Childerhose  → What does the plain Ubuntul 20.04 install media do on the same equipment?

The plain one works fine.  I am wondering if it has anything to do with having to use a VLAN?  When I do this, it creates another entry - so does the IP then go on the main NIC or the new VLAN one that is associated to the primary?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Here is a cleaner screenshot of my last attempt after scaling down to 8 vCPU leaving 32GB of RAM -

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It seems like plenty of resources @Chris.Childerhose  → What does the plain Ubuntul 20.04 install media do on the same equipment?

The plain one works fine.  I am wondering if it has anything to do with having to use a VLAN?  When I do this, it creates another entry - so does the IP then go on the main NIC or the new VLAN one that is associated to the primary?

It seems it is a VM, but you are passing the VLAN assignment thru to the install?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

It seems it is a VM, but you are passing the VLAN assignment thru to the install?

Yes - at the network screen I select the NIC and create the VLAN which creates another entry on the screen.  Then I just add the IP required to the first entry but not the second VLAN entry.  If you want a screenshot I can do that or jump on a call?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Rick Vanover This is the screen after the VLAN creation.  You can see the IP is blurred out but in the first entry so does it go there or the VLAN created entry?

So do you disable the first entry and enable the VLAN entry to put the IP?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Rick Vanover -- so I just ran the plain Ubuntu ISO just to confirm and that is working without crashing so far.  Not sure what it is with the custom ISO for the VHR.

Install completed with standard ISO for Ubuntu. 😪

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Rick Vanover - chalk it up to Friday, fried brain, or whatever but my always preaching the “RTFM” I did not take my own advice.  When I created my VMs to do this with I did not change the BIOS settings to EFI (Secure).  So once that change was made, reboot from ISO and work through the install it worked this time.

Happy Friday and always RTFM!  🤣😋

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Chris.Childerhose → Makes me think of an easier way to test it as a Virtual Machine, here is a .VBK of a VM that I use in the lab. It has 2 drives thin provisioned, OS drive is 200 GB, Data Drive is 24TB. This VM would need network to be re-assigned from “Lab VMs” to your network, but this has the VM settings correct for testing purposes. you can download it from the same folder as the .ISO, in this folder:

#VBKsOverOVAs

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.Childerhose → Makes me think of an easier way to test it as a Virtual Machine, here is a .VBK of a VM that I use in the lab. It has 2 drives thin provisioned, OS drive is 200 GB, Data Drive is 24TB. This VM would need network to be re-assigned from “Lab VMs” to your network, but this has the VM settings correct for testing purposes. you can download it from the same folder as the .ISO, in this folder:

#VBKsOverOVAs

Thanks for that Rick but I figured out the issue with EFI boot and Secure option being checked in the VM.  I left BIOS boot on - duh.

This will be a nice way to test things though so will download the VBK file.  👍🏼

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have two VHR images, both deployed in ESXi (An 8.0 and 7.0). After the initial reboot, everything works, but I can’t SSH in anymore AND I can’t input anything via the ESXi console even trying VMRC. Both installs have this issue. Basically, if I need to access the VHR, I’m boned. Is this the intended behavior?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I have two VHR images, both deployed in ESXi (An 8.0 and 7.0). After the initial reboot, everything works, but I can’t SSH in anymore AND I can’t input anything via the ESXi console even trying VMRC. Both installs have this issue. Basically, if I need to access the VHR, I’m boned. Is this the intended behavior?

That is the intended behaviour for this ISO.  You need to restart it in single user mode or something like that to get SSH working in the console.  It was meant to be that way.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Chris. So I would just need to reboot the VM, then hold down shift until I get into the GRUB menu?

Thanks for your quick response, by the way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Chris. So I would just need to reboot the VM, then hold down shift until I get into the GRUB menu?

Thanks for your quick response, by the way.

I believe so but not an expert on these just yet.  LOL

I have deployed them for use and connected to Veeam but that is all.  Check the first page for the docs and video to see as I think it is covered.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Unfortunately, I can’t even enter any inputs when I get into rescue mode, either. I guess it really is locked down tight, I can’t even get access to it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unfortunately, I can’t even enter any inputs when I get into rescue mode, either. I guess it really is locked down tight, I can’t even get access to it.

Yeah, it is really meant as a “Set it & Forget it” type thing.  🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ThatsNASt I haven’t done it myself but @HannesK describes the process in his blog post: https://www.veeam.com/blog/ubuntu-linux-defense-secure-boot-single-user.html

Another possibility would be to do a repair installation, which gives you roo/sudo access till the second reboot.

Any reason why you need root/ssh access?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I had to re-build a vcenter and all new active-fulls were created. I’ll need to delete the old active-full in order to have enough space for backups. I can’t get a break this week =).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Then I would check the blog post from above. Or an easier solution, boot a live CD and clean up the files from there 😉

Running the VHR inside VMs isn't recommended as an attacker could just delete the VM including it's storage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I had to re-build a vcenter and all new active-fulls were created. I’ll need to delete the old active-full in order to have enough space for backups. I can’t get a break this week =).

I am glad you going thru this drill @ThatsNASt → The installable .ISO is meant to super-harden the system. If you don’t want that - use the normal way with off the shelf Ubuntu. 

If you are stuck and need these backups put somewhere - you can put them into a SOBR and seal the extent or use Veeamover after it is expired immutability term.