Question

Continued ReFS issues on Veeam Repo

Issue with a handful of Veeam Repo’s where ReFS will set the volume as RAW and become inaccessible.

I used the following topic as reference to check a few things over;

ReFS issues with latest Windows Server Updates (KB5009624, KB5009557, KB5009555) | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Unfortunately, the fixes reported by Microsoft in these don’t appear to work. The specific repo I’m having issues with doesn’t have the update which caused the issue to begin with.

Someone also contributed within this topic about the following article, but further fixes also don’t work and the out-of-band update doesn’t appear to resolve the issue.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/new-windows-server-updates-cause-dc-boot-loops-break-hyper-v/

This seems to be primarily affecting DELL hardware with the repo utilising ReFS. Although I can’t confirm if DELL hardware is solely the problem, as it may be a matter of time for others.

I have had the same hardware be affected by this twice in the last 3 months. But had similar issues with different repo’s at the back end of last year. Sometimes, this happens once then doesn’t reoccur then in other instances this has happened 4 times in a 3 week period for the same repo.

Has anyone else been affected by this recently? 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

4 comments

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

When you say ‘Dell Hardware’, I assume you’re talking about storage devices rather than servers?

Cheers, Rob.

Userlevel 4
Badge

“Unfortunately, the fixes reported by Microsoft in these don’t appear to work”

Means it isn’t the same cause? 

I’ve not had this issue with HPE kit.  I use direct attached disk shelves for backup rather than any of the dedicated storage platforms. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This issue would not be solely contributed to Dell hardware as it is a Windows ReFS issue with certain versions and KB updates.  What OS is your repo server?  I believe 2019/2022 don’t have the issue as much as 2016/2012.  You need to remove the Windows Updates mentioned to fix the volume as we have done this numerous times here and stopped updates until we can move those drives to newer versions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This issue would not be solely contributed to Dell hardware as it is a Windows ReFS issue with certain versions and KB updates.  What OS is your repo server?  I believe 2019/2022 don’t have the issue as much as 2016/2012.  You need to remove the Windows Updates mentioned to fix the volume as we have done this numerous times here and stopped updates until we can move those drives to newer versions.

...I can’t believe this issue is still happening...

Comment