Question

Difference in allowed number of SOBR extents in VBR v11 and v12

Userlevel 1

One of our customers is using VBR v11 Enterprise Edition and had 3 active extents in an SOBR. After adding a fourth active extent backups started to fail due to the following limitation:

At first I didn’t understand how this configuration could have worked because I was looking at the v12 documentation instead of the v11 version. And the v12 documentation states that you can only have 2 active extents:

It was easy to get the backups running again by removing the fourth active extent, but…. What will happen if we upgrade from v11 to v12? I would expect that backups will start failing immediately due to the limitation mentioned above?!

I checked the release notes but I cannot find anything about this. Is there anyone out there that ran into the same issue or knows what will happen if I was to perform the upgrade to v12?

Regards,

Sven

5 comments

Badge

Well, the licence is very clear if you want more extents buy enterprise plus edition then you have no limitation. But to be honest im moving from multiple extents to 1 extent because we had to much wasted space with multiple extents. 

just did the upgrade to V12 in our Non prod environment but we have enterprise plus so i cannot tell you if the sobr will stop working

my advice?  before you upgrade move from 3 to 2 extents like the manual tells you is supported. Better be safe then sorry. 

Userlevel 1

I agree that it is better to be safe than sorry, but I still think it is strange that performing a regular upgrade could possibly compromise your backup environment due to restricted functionality of the new version that isn’t even mentioned in the release notes.

I guess I’ll have to open a support case to be sure...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Good to know @Snefdude , thx for sharing this! I also didn’t know but important to know before upgrading!

Userlevel 1

I have created support case 06063519 for this question...

Userlevel 1

This is the reponse from Veeam Support. It turns out you don’t even get a warning while performing the upgrade. It would be nice if they would repair this, but don’t hold your breath…

I understand that the change in the policy is not desirable, but unfortunately, I'm not able to comment on the decision process behind this; and regrettably, I have tested in lab to upgrade a v11 Veeam environment that violated the new SOBR limitations, and I did not receive a warning during upgrade either.

I am sorry to hear that this situation occurred, as historically Veeam has tried to be very transparent in all such matters, but I'm afraid that I cannot find where it was advertised.

I have already reported this to my higher management and they're addressing it with the correct teams.

As for the current situation, I'm afraid that due to the licensing restrictions in place, we will not have any solutions except for the item provided, putting the additional extents into maintenance mode or upgrading the licenses to an edition which includes Enterprise Plus (ENT+) level. I wish I had a better item to offer, regrettably due to the licensing limitations, we cannot work around this.

Comment