Physical to Virtual Migration with Veeam

Show first post

58 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The only available option for this is an instant restore. And this need the vPower NFS datastore.

@JMeixner 

What about exporting the backup as virtual disks? It‘s possible to export an agent backup as VMDKs directly to a vmware datastore and then create a new vm and connect the exported disks to this vm. To many manual steps, I would never do it this way, but it works.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/exporting_disks.html?ver=110

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It is an instant recovery, this uses the vPower NFS datastore.

You have to move the VM to the desired datastore on the cluster after you have it migrated to production.

Is there a possibility to restore it without the vPower NFS datastore?

I am trying to test moving a Physical Windows Server to an ESXI Host.

The only available option for this is an instant restore. And this need the vPower NFS datastore.

You have to move the VM to the desired datastore on the cluster after you have it migrated to production.

Is there a possibility to restore it without the vPower NFS datastore?

I am trying to test moving a Physical Windows Server to an ESXI Host.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Dear All,

Where will it restore the Backup of Physical Machine. If I have multiple Datastores on VMware which one it will restore the backup as I don’t see any option to select datastore.

There should be an option to select this in the wizard.  If not post a screenshot.

Dear All,

Where will it restore the Backup of Physical Machine. If I have multiple Datastores on VMware which one it will restore the backup as I don’t see any option to select datastore.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Great, so with the application aware processing and indexing already enabled for the current backup jobs the entire computer backup should have everything required for the VM to restore in the same state the physical had been in. 

I have seen somewhat conflicting answers on other community forums where it is stated that Veeam is not intended as a P2V, but they are older than this thread. 

Yeah Veeam has become much better in this aspect as of late so you should be good.

Great, so with the application aware processing and indexing already enabled for the current backup jobs the entire computer backup should have everything required for the VM to restore in the same state the physical had been in. 

I have seen somewhat conflicting answers on other community forums where it is stated that Veeam is not intended as a P2V, but they are older than this thread. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is this P2V conversion also workable in a Hyper-V VM environment? I need to migrate a physical SQL server on 2012R2 to Hyper-V VM, would the steps be the same? Or are there other considerations>

Yeah the same steps would apply for this as well.  Back up the SQL box and restore to Hyper-V as a VM.

Is this P2V conversion also workable in a Hyper-V VM environment? I need to migrate a physical SQL server on 2012R2 to Hyper-V VM, would the steps be the same? Or are there other considerations>

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@JMeixner @Chris.Childerhose 

Thank you very much. It helps me a lot!

Not a problem. Let us know how it goes. 👍

Userlevel 1

@JMeixner @Chris.Childerhose 

Thank you very much. It helps me a lot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It is the same agent. If it is installed from the server, the VBR server has more control and gets more information.

I did not migrate an AD server from physical to virtual up to now. I don’t see a problem with this. Activate application aware backup for the AD, then all should be fine….

Edit:
Sorry Chris, did not see your answer before.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Is this a disadvantage to use the server controlled agent?

Is it possible to p2v migrate an Windows 2016 Active Directory?

No disadvantage at all as you can control things from VBR.

Yes you can P2V an AD server as long as Application Aware processing is enabled.

Userlevel 1

Is this a disadvantage to use the server controlled agent?

Is it possible to p2v migrate an Windows 2016 Active Directory?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The server controlled agent is installed by the VBR server, correct.

Userlevel 1

@JMeixner 

Thank you for the very fast reply. I thought the Backup & Replication Server installed this Agent automaticly on the source system, or is that another client and in this case not working?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You need an agent on the source system - either an standalone or a server controlled agent.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for this nice guide, but it is necessary to install the Agent on Source Host? If i use Backup & Replication 11 (with universal License/Enterprise Plus) i can configure everything there, is it right?

Is there any difference for Windows Active Directory Servers?

This can be done with physical servers with RedHat or SUSE or Oracle, etc (Linux).

very cool buddy!! thnx.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi victor,

Thanks for sharing this. it was really nice approach, could u please help by replying below quries.

1- does it support Boot from SAN. Meaning, One of my customer running Linux (RHEL 6.8) instance which is booting from SAN. OS Kernel is located on SAN shared storage instead of local server disk.
2- Does this Veeam software free?

thanks in advanced

1. I should be supported, you'll need to manually reconfigure some disk mount points after the migration.
  2. VBR have a free edition.
  3. You need to uninstall multipath software on Linux if it is installed after the P2V.
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Anapi I would say it should also work with boot from SAN. The system sees this disk still as local and Veeam will be able create a backup from it. Linux on the other hand is sometimes a bit special with its disks, so it could be that you'll need to manually reconfigure some parts after the migration.

Both the Veeam Agents and Veeam Backup&Replication have a free/community edition.

Hi victor,

Thanks for sharing this. it was really nice approach, could u please help by replying below quries.

1- does it support Boot from SAN. Meaning, One of my customer running Linux (RHEL 6.8) instance which is booting from SAN. OS Kernel is located on SAN shared storage instead of local server disk.
2- Does this Veeam software free?

thanks in advanced

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Absolutely great guide, but the old converter was faster :joy:

Faster but did not have things like Surebackup to validate your VM.  :grin:

The old converter did NOT support the incremental sync, it requires much of time for P2V and guest OS customization.

Comment