Veeam 365 Repository Management Has Forced My Hand

Userlevel 3

When I quickly setup Veeam 365 Backup, I had to use on premise disk that I had available.  I have since purchased basic storage and am trying to move my backup repository from the temporary storage to the new storage.

I’m using the recommended Move-VBOEntityData tool and it is horrible. I have migrations in excess of 60 hours to move a 50 GB mailbox backup.  And it isn’t my hardware. Performance tests show that read/write performance is exponentially faster. The tool itself in combination with the JetDB architecture is the problem.

And while using this tool, I can’t do backups. Which put in me in an untenable situation of no backups for 2-3 weeks while I try to complete this migration. Researching this in the R&D Forums show others having the same performance issue.

Because of that, I am done.  I am already competitive bidding 365 backup solutions, and I will be bailing on the Veeam 365 backup platform as soon as I can.

Repository management is a critical operation, and from what I can research, on premise repository management is an overlooked operation that is not taken seriously. Veeam wants me to use object storage in the cloud, which is not an option for us.

If you are looking to move your JetDB repositories do not use this tool. Use the second option of copying your JetDBs as a file copy, and accept that you are copying over the whitespace. You will be operational a lot faster.

Just putting this out there as a review and as a cautionary tale.

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing @sknetsch.  Just something for better visibility with Product Management is to post this same thing on the forums as well - http:\\forums.veeam.com

You will have more visibility there and hopefully PMs can answer any concerns.  They might even ask for a Support case to be opened to troubleshoot if you are up to it.

Userlevel 3

Thanks Chris.  I went that route first, with the support ticket. My comments are in with other users with issues using the  Move-VBOEntityData tool.

Cheers bud. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks Chris.  I went that route first, with the support ticket. My comments are in with other users with issues using the  Move-VBOEntityData tool.

Cheers bud. 

Sounds good.  Hopefully something comes of this and they fix the PowerShell module.  👍🏼

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @sknetsch 

We have done a lot of development work around the migration feature for our upcoming version of Vb365.

In V8, the move command will allow a backup administrator to migrate backup data while the backup jobs are still allowed to run. No need to wait till the migration is over. Backups will be copied in the background and only when all backups are migrated, the jobs will be switched over to the new target.

That should solve the main issue for „having no backups while moving data“.

Veeam wants me to use object storage in the cloud, which is not an option for us.

Cloud object storage is not a requirement. You will find many on-premise object solutions which will work with our products. There are solutions which come as hardware appliances or software based object storage (eg. minio).
We list them in our forum and Veeam ready list:

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-for-microsoft-365-f47/unofficial-object-storage-compatibility-list-veeam-backup-for-office-365-t78250.html
https://www.veeam.com/alliance-partner-technical-programs.html?product=VBO&version%5B%5D=218&version%5B%5D=146

@Chris.Childerhose You should have access to the Beta through the V100 program in case you want to give the new method a test. We would love to hear your feedback if you find time to run a test in your lab.

Best,

Fabian

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @sknetsch 

We have done a lot of development work around the migration feature for our upcoming version of Vb365.

In V8, the move command will allow a backup administrator to migrate backup data while the backup jobs are still allowed to run. No need to wait till the migration is over. Backups will be copied in the background and only when all backups are migrated, the jobs will be switched over to the new target.

That should solve the main issue for „having no backups while moving data“.

Veeam wants me to use object storage in the cloud, which is not an option for us.

Cloud object storage is not a requirement. You will find many on-premise object solutions solutions which will work with our products. There are solutions which come as hardware appliances or software based object storage (eg. minio).
We list them in our forum and Veeam ready list:

https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-for-microsoft-365-f47/unofficial-object-storage-compatibility-list-veeam-backup-for-office-365-t78250.html
https://www.veeam.com/alliance-partner-technical-programs.html?product=VBO&version%5B%5D=218&version%5B%5D=146

@Chris.Childerhose You should have access to the Beta through the V100 program in case you want to give the new method a test. We would love to hear your feedback if you find time to run a test in your lab.

Best,

Fabian

Yes I do have access and I am just getting it set up now to test some things and a few blogs as well.  Hopefully I can test this process and report back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thank you :)

Userlevel 3

Sorry, I misspoke. Object Storage is not an affordable option for us.  Cloud or local. It’s overkill for 250 mailboxes. I just backup to Jet Database on a plain old native disk. 

Comment