Steps to Install PostgreSQL on Windows server as Veeam Database

• 2 January 2024
  • 0 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In Veeam Backup & Replication version 12 and later, the default database system is PostgreSQL, replacing the previously used Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition. This change enables users to leverage the PostgreSQL database as part of the default installation. Veeam supports PostgreSQL from version 14 and above.

12.1 release notes still only show 15.x as supported. Also, Veeam Backup & Replication does not support PostgreSQL installations on cloud database services (for example, Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS).  Here is a discussion also around this topic.

PostgreSQL is a powerful, open-source object-relational database system with active development that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, feature robustness, and performance.

Why has Veeam Switch to Postgre as the Default Database?

This decision to switch to PostgreSQL was made due to the limitation associated with Microsft SQL Express edition in terms of scaling (eg max 10 GB Database size). See the System requirements

PostgreSQL Platform Support

At the time of writing this article, the following versions are supported on Windows Platforms.

Install PostgreSQL

The installer includes the PostgreSQL server, pgAdmin; a graphical tool for managing and developing your databases, and StackBuilder; a package manager that can be used to download and install additional PostgreSQL tools and drivers. 

While installing PostgreSQL and you run into issues, please take a look at this guide to see if the error is similar

Please download PostgreSQL. The installer is designed to be a straightforward, fast way to get up and running with PostgreSQL on Windows.

Upon download, double click on the installer. On the Setup PostgreSQL window, click on Next.

On the installation directory, I am fine with the default. Click Next to continue.

On the select components windows, I am fine with all components. I will, therefore, click next to continue.

Select the database directory to store the data or accept the default folder. Click the Next button to go to the next step

Next, you will be required to enter the password for the database superuser

Specify the port number on which the PostgreSQL database server will listen. The default port of PostgreSQL is 5432. You

Choose the default locale used by the PostgreSQL database.

The setup wizard will show the pre-installation summary information of PostgreSQL. You need to review it and click the Next button if everything is correct

On the ready to install PostgreSQL on your computer. Click the Next button to begin installing PostgreSQL.

Click the Finish button to complete the PostgreSQL installation.

Connect to PostgreSQL database server using pgAdmin. Please enter your password to connect

Next, create a local user in PostgreSQL named “veeam” with Superuser permissions so that it can create a Veeam database and perform all necessary processes during the migration process.

Specify the name and in my case, I will name it veeam.

Below ate privileges required for this user

In the next guide, I will show you how to migrate the Veeam Backup & Replication Configuration Database to PostgreSQL.

For a comprehensive list of installation steps and FAQs on PostgreSQL for Veeam, please take a look at this blogpost “How to Install PostgreSQL on Windows server as Veeam Database Engine”.

0 comments

Be the first to comment!

Comment