Skip to main content

VMCE Practice Question - 3 September 2024

• 3 September 2024
  • 9 comments

Short week for us in the U.S. with a holiday last weekend, but no rest in providing VMCE Practice Questions! 😊 First question of the week is below...please remember to hide your comments (let me know if you need help with this), and good luck!

You're wanting to configure your Backup environment to be more secure against malicious intent, so you decide to enable immutability on your various Repositories. Which Backup Repositories support immutability? Select two.

1. Standard Veeam Repositories
  2. Storage Snapshot Repositories
  3. Rotated-drive Storage
  4. Scale-Out Backup Repositories
  5. Dell Data Domain
  1. Standard Veeam Repositories
  1. Scale-Out Backup Repositories

Technically the Dell Data Domain also supports Immutability as well.

1. and E.

I feel like this is a bit of an ambiguous question. B could be the answer, because some storage systems that support snapshots offer immutability, but I don’t think this is the answer Veeam is looking for - same as E - Dell Data Domain can also offer immutability within their own system.

I’ll go with A and D as an answer. A because if that ‘standard’ Veeam Repository is a VHR or an Object Storage Repository, then it supports immutability. D because the SOBR can have extents that are Immutable repositories.
Bonus - in Veeam 12, a SOBR can no longer have extents that are a mix of immutable and non immutable. Its either all extents are immutable, or all extents are not immutable.

I’ll be looking forward to seeing the answer for this question. I don’t think this question is clear.

1. Scale-out Backup repositories and Dell data domain.

• Standard Veeam Repositories (on a Hardened Repository)
  • Scale-Out Backup Repositories (Hardened Repositories or Object Storage with Retention Lock / Immutablity)
  • Dell Data Domain (only supported with Retention Lock Compliance Mode, since V12.1)

sorry, i took three :/

The answer to the week’s first question is below…

There really isn’t much to explain here. Veeam is pretty explicit on what is supported for immutability. Standard Repos obviously don’t support immutablitiy because..well, they’re standard. Hardened Repos on the other hand do (somewhat of a trick option...but my hope was folks wouldn’t overthink here. And, I’m pretty sure Veeam wouldn’t have a question option like this on the exam). Answer options b. and c. are simply not supported options for immutability, leaving d. Scale-Out Backup Repositories and e. Dell Data Domain as the correct answers.

For more info, please see URL below:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/immutability.html?ver=120

If the standard repo is a VHR or Linux with hardening then technically it can be an answer but I am splitting hairs now.  😂 

hahaha..Yeah, again...why I share it probably wouldn’t be an option Veeam would use. But then again...a Standard Repo is just that...standard. Whereas Hardened Repo is..well...immutable 😊

This is actually a great question. If you watch Rasmus’ videos he explains these ones where there could be an additional option outside the 2 actual answers. Sometimes referred to as “distractors” - the skill is to ask what can and what could - know that the correct answers CAN do it and the other possible answer COULD depending on the variable

Comment