Skip to main content

I have a policy that creates a snapshot of an application and exports it, for example, to an S3 bucket. Now, if I delete the local snapshots or they are no longer available for any reason, how can I restore from the S3 bucket? Kasten then says "No restore points." But it's only the local snapshots that are missing. Restoring from the S3 bucket should still be possible, right? Import doesn't work because it's the same cluster.

Hey there. You will need to use DR restore. Provided you have valid restore points of your DR backups. DR backups will protect against local failures. Read more about it here: https://docs.kasten.io/latest/operating/dr.html

Hey David, thanks for your response. When I enable and configure Kasten DR (s3 destination) and trigger backups, I can restore them using "Restore Kasten." But here again, the same issue: as soon as I delete the local snapshot, in this case "kasten-io-scheduled-zr5qb," it can no longer find any restore points and so there ist no possibility to Use “Restore Kasten”.

This may be a case of retention policy misconfiguration. Double-check your retention policy for the exported snapshots in the policy. 

Then make sure you are exporting snapshot data and not just references.

Are you referring to the retention policy within Veeam for the export? However, with Kasten DR, I can't configure anything in that regard, and I still have this issue here.

I checked the retention policy and it’s exporting the “snapshot data”.  I can see that the data arrives in the S3 bucket and remains there. I'm wondering why Kasten does not search the S3 bucket and thus cannot find the snapshots again.

Comment