Skip to main content

Red Hat OpenShift Virtualization (4.15) – How to run in a nested environment with software emulation

• 31 May 2024
  • 1 comment

As most of virtualization technologies like VMware, Hyper-V, KVM and others, OpenShift Virtualization requires hardware virtualization, which usually means that you need to use bare-metal servers for your OCP cluster.  By default, OpenShift Virtualization uses the Linux Kernel Virtual Machine (KVM), which is a full-virtualization solution for Linux on x86 hardware. KVM uses the virtualization extensions Intel VT or AMD-V to enable device emulation.  Of course, in a lab environment isn’t always possible to have physical servers available for this kind of tests, so we usually leverage nested virtualization, like when we want to run a virtual ESXi host on top of a physical ESXi host.

In this post I’ll explain how to enable Software Emulation in OpenShift Virtualization, to be able to run VMs when the default Hardware Virtualization isn’t available.

https://patriciocerda.com/?p=1629

1 comment

even it is not mt case since have resource in my nested lab to deploy OCP cluster but I found it very useful OCP cluster need virtualization on Cloud VM that do not expose virtualizations op to the guests  

Comment