Project Pace: Had to slow down, minikube is broken!

• 16 February 2024
  • 5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Over the last few years I have been a big fan of minikube for getting a Kubernetes cluster up and running on the device I am working on, one of the biggest advantages was the addons available which meant it was an easy emulation of storage for K10 to be installed and start protecting some demo applications…. 

But minikube is broken! 

I documented some fixes here….. 

The benefits of using minikube or KinD (Kubernetes in Docker) or even K3s with rancher is that you do not really need to understand the underpinning technology, think of it a little like vSphere going back to pre ESX 3.5 days when you might have needed to interact with the CLI of your ESX hosts but these days less and less do we have to… 

These local development clusters (even though we are not using them for development is a great way to get started learning about the higher level of applications running on Kubernetes without knowing the engine…. but we can still drive the vehicle. 

Project Pace is one of my repositories for getting started with some scenarios. With the above fix, we can still work through this. 

I wonder how many screenshots of people getting their first minikube cluster up and running we can get below? 

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@michaelcade, thanks and congrats for the Project Pace; at the beginning of our work with the Kasten K10, it was essential for us to present to customers and partners. I believe it was the pioneering demo environment for Kasten! 👍🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@michaelcade, thanks and congrats for the Project Pace; at the beginning of our work with the Kasten K10, it was essential for us to present to customers and partners. I believe it was the pioneering demo environment for Kasten! 👍🏻

Good stuff, I want to update project pace with some learning and practical demos around K10 and databases but need the time to make this happen. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Project Pace is a great effort! Minikube is excellent for demos, or if you are a developer just needing to run and test code. There are others mini distros like Microk8s, Rancher Desktop (with K3S under the hood), KIND and Openshift local (for Openshift) and they all have pluses and minuses but I think Minikube is the best for someone just starting out. Even Minikube though can have challenges for someone brand new so Project Pace is especially valuable since it is leading you through step by step. 

Once you feel that you want to get closer to production you can advance to K8S or K3S but that is a big step. K3S is K8S in essence but the creator of K3S removed a lot of what he considered bloat. That is why it is so good for the edge.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Think I may ‘bookmark’ this if/when I get some time to re-explore k8s again. Thanks Michael!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Bookmarked for later learning of Kubernetes and Kasten.  Thanks for sharing this one Michael.

Comment