Podman Desktop and Minikube a great combination to start your Kubernetes Journey!

• 5 January 2024
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I often get asked about what is the best beginner Kubernetes cluster setup. Often the answer is “it depends” since your setup will very much depend on what you are going to try and achieve but if your goal is to simply get started and have an environment to learn and practice in then Podman Desktop along with Minikube is an excellent choice.

By leveraging Podman Desktop you won’t have to create a virtual machine in Windows for Minikube as we have had to do in past posts.

Podman Desktop is based on Podman https://docs.podman.io/en/latest/ and is owned by RedHat.

You will find on the Podman Desktop website https://podman-desktop.io/ downloads for Windows, MacOS and Linux. 

One of the great features of Podman Deskop is the extensions for Kubernetes, one of which is for Minikube. These allow you to seamlessly install a cluster with minimal effort. 

First let we will go to the download page and grab the Windows installer: 

Download the Installer

After running the simple steps of the installer we end up with a screen that warns us that Podman is not installed and offers to install it:

Podman needs to be set up
Podman not found
Could not find Podman
Install Podman

I also liked the fact that Podman Desktop will also install WSL on Windows for you if it detects that the latter is not installed:

Podman Setup
Setup Finished
​​​​​​

Next you have to setup a Podman Machine:

Podman Machine

The Podman machine in my case will be a WSL distribution which after installation can be seen along with my other distributions:

WSL Distribustions

You can decide what level of resources you want to give your podman-machine:

Podman Machine
Create Machine

Completed

The next screen has the available extensions. We will download the Minikube extension.

Minikube

Another nice feature is that Podman Desktop recognizes what you already have on your system or what extensions are present but the underlying item is not installed. In this case Rancher-desktop is recognized and I have installed the Podman Desktop extension for Kind but have not actually installed Kind on my windows system. After installing the Minikube extension, Podman Desktop immediately notices that Minikube is not installed and offers to install it for me:

Kind and Minikube are not installed on my Windows OS

Offering to install Minikube
More choices
Completed

Now lets go to Settings then  Resources where we will be able to set up a Kubernetes cluster leveraging Minikube and Podman Desktop:

Minikube

After pressing the create new button under Minikube we will can setup our cluster:

Create new Minikube Cluster
Create new Minikube Cluster
Cluster Creation
Completed
Running
My local contexts

Now lets see if this actually works! 

Working

We now have a working Minikube Cluster working on Podman-Desktop. 

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This looks like a great way to start so I think it is time. Thanks for sharing this. 

Userlevel 3

WOW - what a cool tool, thank you for sharing. I have been a RPi fan for years, and ran K8 on that, but this is just so much easier to begin a learning journey on - Vanimal

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This is one of many reasons why our Community is so cool - the so many different tools & tips/tricks learned from you all. I’ve never heard of Podman, but what a great tool to start learning on! Thanks for the share Geoff!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for the write up, Geoff. This looks perfect start to expand my knowledge on this subject.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great Stuff Geoff as always… 

One word of warning with my Kasten K10 hat on…. Currently Kasten K10 is not working on minikube due to a volumesnapshot issue. K10 can still be deployed to a Minikube cluster using the usual Helm chart deployment but it will not complete a backup. 

@DrObject Good to see you, love the idea to kick things off with a RaspberryPi. A word of warning for you though there is that K10 is not ARM supported so be careful with any data services you wish to run and backup. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

One word of warning with my Kasten K10 hat on…. Currently Kasten K10 is not working on minikube due to a volumesnapshot issue. K10 can still be deployed to a Minikube cluster using the usual Helm chart deployment but it will not complete a backup. 

@DrObject Good to see you, love the idea to kick things off with a RaspberryPi. A word of warning for you though there is that K10 is not ARM supported so be careful with any data services you wish to run and backup. 

Interesting. I recently used the csi-hostpath driver in rancher desktop, but I am cloning the latest version from github and installing manually. It could be that minikube are using an older version. Will check that out. Thanks for the heads up as that was going to be next week’s post 😁and I would have been stuck in one of those.. “it worked before.. what the heck” moments. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I bookmarked this to add it to my list of things to download and learn. Really enjoying these. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Interesting. I recently used the csi-hostpath driver in rancher desktop, but I am cloning the latest version from github and installing manually. It could be that minikube are using an older version. Will check that out. Thanks for the heads up as that was going to be next week’s post 😁and I would have been stuck in one of those.. “it worked before.. what the heck” moments. 

that is a good point I should look at what version of the volumesnapshot and hostpath driver is being used. 

Comment