Migrating my Wiki Application from Proxmox to Synology K3S installations

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have decided to spread my lab out somewhat. My wiki application wikijs was on my Promox server but I decided to move it over to my synology. I wanted to keep things simple and am moving it from a single node k3s setup to a similar setup on synology. The tool of choice to perform the migration of course is Kasten!

First create a new ubuntu server VM on Synology:

Linux

storage
resources
ISO
Users
VM is ready

Next perform the OS installation. You can follow my previous post on migrating to Proxmox and the Ubuntu server install will be the same: https://community.veeam.com/kubernetes-korner-90/creating-a-pks-home-lab-proxmox-synology-k3s-6706 

Now it is important to get the key for the restore from my Kasten setup on my Proxmox K3S cluster:

Proxmox K3S Kasten backup​​​​​​

Click the “Show import details” button

copy to clipboard

Save this key somewhere (Notepad) as we will need it later when we go to restore.

In our new Ubuntu server VM run the following commands in order to get K3S up and running and to add a kubectl alias and autocompletion

apt-get install qemu-guest-agent

curl -sfL https://get.k3s.io | K3S_KUBECONFIG_MODE="644" INSTALL_K3S_EXEC="server" sh -s - --disable local-storage

sudo cp /etc/rancher/k3s/k3s.yaml /home/yourusername/.kube/config

sudo chown yourusername:yourusername /home/yoursusername/.kube/config

chmod o-r ~/.kube/config
chmod g-r ~/.kube/config

source <(kubectl completion bash)
echo "source <(kubectl completion bash)" >> ~/.bashrc

echo "alias k=kubectl" >> ~/.bashrc
echo "complete -o default -F __start_kubectl k" >> ~/.bashrc

Next we will install the external snapshotter and the csi-hostpath driver

git clone https://github.com/kubernetes-csi/external-snapshotter.git

cd external-snapshotter
kubectl kustomize client/config/crd | kubectl create -f -

kubectl -n kube-system kustomize deploy/kubernetes/snapshot-controller | kubectl create -f -

cd ..

git clone https://github.com/kubernetes-csi/csi-driver-host-path

cd csi-driver-host-path

./deploy/kubernetes-1.27/deploy.sh

cd examples

k apply -f csi-storageclass.yaml

k apply -f csi-volumesnapshotclass.yaml

kubectl patch storageclass csi-hostpath-sc -p '{"metadata": {"annotations":{"storageclass.kubernetes.io/is-default-class":"true"}}}'

Now we want to install Kasten

First we will need to install helm

sudo snap install helm --classic

Next Kasten install

helm repo add kasten https://charts.kasten.io/

helm repo update

k create ns kasten-io

kubectl annotate volumesnapshotclass csi-hostpath-snapclass k10.kasten.io/is-snapshot-class=true

###create a values file for the helm install k10-val.yaml with your value for host

auth:
tokenAuth:
enabled: true
ingress:
class: traefik
create: true
host: kasten02.lab.local

###

helm install k10 kasten/k10 --namespace=kasten-io -f k10_val.yaml

## create a permanent token

kubectl apply --namespace=kasten-io --filename=- <<EOF
apiVersion: v1
kind: Secret
type: kubernetes.io/service-account-token
metadata:
name: k10-token
annotations:
kubernetes.io/service-account.name: "k10-k10"
EOF

##

kubectl get secret k10-token --namespace kasten-io -ojsonpath="{.data.token}" | base64 --decode

After the Kasten installation has come up. Login using the token from that last command.

At this point all we want to do is add the Wasabi location profile where our Wiki application exported backup is located.

Location Profile Added

We need to import the metadata so that we will be able to restore our application. For this we will create a one time import policy

Import Policy
Paste the key from our other cluster

Here is where we need to retrieve that key that we saved in Notepad from the other cluster. Once we paste that in Kasten will have all the details that we need for the restore.

import key

After we have pasted it in the location profile menu will appear and we can select the Wasabi profile

import policy
​​

Press run once to run the policy and then go back to the dashboard to watch the progress

Import Successful

Now our Kasten on the new cluster is aware of the exported policy and we can go ahead and restore.

Removed

Under policies we will now see one Removed application. This is actually the exported policy from the other Cluster. Click on the Removed application

Our Wiki

Here we will see that it is our wiki application that we want migrated to the new cluster

Click the menu on the right hand side and press restore.

Restore

It will present us with a list of exported restore points, in this case just one.

Our restore point

Press on the the restore point and Kasten will warn you that the process could take some time as it is being restored from and exported snapshot

Imported Restore Point

Confirm the restore operation

Confirm

Back at the Dashboard we can monitor the progress

Restore in Progress

No surprises!

Restore Completed 
Pods are running

Don’t forget to change the DNS to point to the new ingress IP

ingress
DNS

Let’s check if we can access the Wiki and if so time to stop being lazy and write down this whole procedure there!!

Wiki Migrated

That’s it the wiki has been migrated. The helm uninstall command can be used on the old cluster to remove that instance of the wiki.

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Interesting setup for sure and nice to see Veeam helping migration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Nice detailed migration to Synology post Geoff. Appreciate the share!

Comment