Got an old retired Dell hacked Chromebook, Let's be KIND to it!

• 16 November 2023
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Everyone,

All IT folks are secret hoarders. Come on admit it. I bet if we look in your basement we will find a ton of old computer equipment that is being kept “just in case”. I won’t even start about the cable jungle that grows down there. The older you get the more serious you become at your IT collection efforts. I recently scored an old Dell Chromebook that had been generously broken (i.e. put in developer mode in order to remove the dead ChromeOS and install Linux) by some developer (can’t remember if that is allowed or not so if need be I can provide the person’s address to the appropriate authorities while I play the victim.

In fact this is allowed as they force you to press control L every time you want to boot in wild mode otherwise it goes and wipes the disk.

However, I digress. Lets see what this power monster can do. I will pull out a terminal and inspect. Just to add the Linux Mate Desktop is installed which is quite lightweight and does not appear to be hogging resources. Look out now this thing is ready for the turtle 100 meters sprint:

lshw
 *-memory
description: System memory
physical id: 0
size: 4GiB
*-cpu
product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz

Ok so not much juice, but lets not make fun of it but instead be kind. 

KIND as in Kubernetes in Docker!! that is

As I have written before KIND runs Kubernetes nodes in docker containers thereby creating a world of miniatures. Obviously you are not going to be running the corporate Spotify on this cluster but we can still have plenty of fun. 

Let’s head over to the KIND web site and search out the Quick Start guide. I personally love quick start pages, in no time they make you feel like you have accomplished something grand!

[ $(uname -m) = x86_64 ] && curl -Lo ./kind https://kind.sigs.k8s.io/dl/v0.20.0/kind-linux-amd64

chmod +x ./kind
sudo mv ./kind /usr/local/bin/kind

You need to have docker already installed but that can be achieved quickly via apt (see instructions here: https://docs.docker.com/engine/install/ubuntu/)

Kind is installed lets take a look if it works:

Kind

Ok great, and now what? A question that is often asked by newbies who have just setup their first Kubernetes cluster I might add. 

Back at the Kind documentation page they have some quick cluster setup commands so lets give them a try.

Surely it can’t be this easy:

kind create cluster 
working?

Looks like it is working. Cute icons as well

icons

uh oh

No Space Left

Ok time to delete some junk forgot to check the hard drive of this beast and there is only a whopping 30Gb present. Heading to the downloads folder to solve the issue!

In my case though it was snap and snap cache. Here are some instructions to clean that up:

https://www.debugpoint.com/clean-up-snap/

Just in case I deleted the previous cluster to start afresh:

kind delete cluster

I ran the simple installation again and boom!

Ready

Sweet and I gave my little Linux system a bath and got it cleaned up as well!

However the proof is in the pudding, lets do a test ubuntu drive.

BUT WAIT! Geoff do you mean you are going to run ubuntu in ubuntu in a hacked chromebook? This is getting insane for a Wednesday evening to be honest!

kubectl run ubuntu --image=ubuntu --command -- sleep 7200

We need the sleep command because otherwise the ubuntu container runs has nothing to do and just completes:

ubuntu container running

Let’s take a peak inside:

kubectl exec ubuntu -it -- bash

Wow I am running ubuntu 22.04 in a container inside of ubuntu 20.04

At this rate time travel should be right around the corner!

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Awesome post and a great use of old gear.

This one hit me in the feels. I think I have about 5 laptops, and 5 PC’s at home. Not including tablets, my Intel NUC, HP server, IBM server etc. haha and the ones at the shop waiting for me. (Because who doesn’t need 1TB of memory at home for their lab…...😄)

I have an IPAD2 that still “works” but can’t really download new apps or updates. It’s on the chopping block for now unless I find a smart home integration… The issue with this old junk is I don’t want accounts on it so I have to recreate throw away stuff, Vlan it off and block internet access for the most part as it’s a huge risk.

The cables comment got me too. I have BAGS of mini-usb, micro-usb, printer cables, old firewire cables. I know if I toss them all the next day I’ll need one or 2. I do toss several a year depleting my stock the less I use them and will end up with about 2 of each in the end. Someone always asks me to fix something or I’ll find an old hidden camera or device I need to access. I did suck it up and toss all my old IDE cables the other day. 

As time goes on, tech changes so much faster that not just the horsepower becomes inadequate, but due to port and design changes hardware becomes obsolete much faster.  On my latest PC build I bought the 4090 GPU and 14700k CPU.  I went for DDR5 and grabbed a new case, PSU and everything else. Good thing too. I didn’t realize it, but they have changed the ports on the GPU’s 

Now with ransomware/security at the top of everyone’s list, firmware and software updates are even more important. A big one that got me thinking is smart TV’s and their support. My TV gets quite a few patches sent down. The lifecycle of these things is going to be 5-7 years I’d assume, as long as the manufacture stays in business too. 

I have kept MANY TV’s over 7 years in my life.  Lucky for me, I have a great firewall that I can block external/internal access, isolate and do what needs to be done, but at that point I have crippled the functionality of that TV now to be a dumb device needing a firestick or dongle. That stick will also have a limited lifespan, and when it’s time to replace that, the next gen port won’t fit in my 4k TV. I suppose it won’t matter at that point as 4k will look like garbage and we will be at 16k 😅

This was a long rant, but mostly saying Geoff, quit being a hoarder, and toss the old junk. haha

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Awesome post and a great use of old gear.

This one hit me in the feels. I think I have about 5 laptops, and 5 PC’s at home. Not including tablets, my Intel NUC, HP server, IBM server etc. haha and the ones at the shop waiting for me. (Because who doesn’t need 1TB of memory at home for their lab…...😄)

I have an IPAD2 that still “works” but can’t really download new apps or updates. It’s on the chopping block for now unless I find a smart home integration… The issue with this old junk is I don’t want accounts on it so I have to recreate throw away stuff, Vlan it off and block internet access for the most part as it’s a huge risk.

The cables comment got me too. I have BAGS of mini-usb, micro-usb, printer cables, old firewire cables. I know if I toss them all the next day I’ll need one or 2. I do toss several a year depleting my stock the less I use them and will end up with about 2 of each in the end. Someone always asks me to fix something or I’ll find an old hidden camera or device I need to access. I did suck it up and toss all my old IDE cables the other day. 

As time goes on, tech changes so much faster that not just the horsepower becomes inadequate, but due to port and design changes hardware becomes obsolete much faster.  On my latest PC build I bought the 4090 GPU and 14700k CPU.  I went for DDR5 and grabbed a new case, PSU and everything else. Good thing too. I didn’t realize it, but they have changed the ports on the GPU’s 

Now with ransomware/security at the top of everyone’s list, firmware and software updates are even more important. A big one that got me thinking is smart TV’s and their support. My TV gets quite a few patches sent down. The lifecycle of these things is going to be 5-7 years I’d assume, as long as the manufacture stays in business too. 

I have kept MANY TV’s over 7 years in my life.  Lucky for me, I have a great firewall that I can block external/internal access, isolate and do what needs to be done, but at that point I have crippled the functionality of that TV now to be a dumb device needing a firestick or dongle. That stick will also have a limited lifespan, and when it’s time to replace that, the next gen port won’t fit in my 4k TV. I suppose it won’t matter at that point as 4k will look like garbage and we will be at 16k 😅

This was a long rant, but mostly saying Geoff, quit being a hoarder, and toss the old junk. haha

Believe me there is a yearly dump of junk and yet.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That was a fun read, thanks Geoff. Love the KINDness you displayed to your old Chromebook!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That was a fun read, thanks Geoff. Love the KINDness you displayed to your old Chromebook!

But I am now tempted to chuck re Scott’s advice 😂. Nah!! Don’t get me wrong one old toshiba I threw out to the electrics recycle bin when it refused to run K3S!!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

But I am now tempted to chuck re Scott’s advice 😂. Nah!! Don’t get me wrong one old toshiba I threw out to the electrics recycle bin when it refused to run K3S!!! 

Hey, If it still works and you MAY use it again for a project or to kill time/learn, its OK to keep.

I just ask myself, do I NEED 3 old laptops that I haven’t turned on in 5 years? haha

I find the best thing to go by is, what are the odds I’m ACTUALLY going to need or use something in the next year or 2. If it’s zero, It’s gotta go  I’m already a drummer/musician so I hoard that stuff as well. I have 4 drum sets, 3 guitars/ Amps, PA systems, and almost a full on recording studio in my basement. That is just PART of my hoard of music gear.  I play in 2 bands though, 1 kit is electric for practice to keep the wife happy, and the other is my grandpas kit which is sentimental so It’s not as bad as it sounds. I’m at capacity though .  

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey, If it still works and you MAY use it again for a project or to kill time/learn, its OK to keep.

I just ask myself, do I NEED 3 old laptops that I haven’t turned on in 5 years? haha

I find the best thing to go by is, what are the odds I’m ACTUALLY going to need or use something in the next year or 2. If it’s zero, It’s gotta go  I’m already a drummer/musician so I hoard that stuff as well. I have 4 drum sets, 3 guitars/ Amps, PA systems, and almost a full on recording studio in my basement. That is just PART of my hoard of music gear.  I play in 2 bands though, 1 kit is electric for practice to keep the wife happy, and the other is my grandpas kit which is sentimental so It’s not as bad as it sounds. I’m at capacity though .  

How big is your basement...?

Comment