Skip to main content

using the free version of veeam to start testing with, currently have it installed on a single physical machine and trying to take a backup of it, and put the backup on an external drive, or even locally on the second hard drive of the computer but whenever running, it keeps failing, doesnt seem to connect, tried to set the machine as local host or even using its ip address, fails both ways, thought maybe it needs the agent installed, right click on the machine and clicked install agent but it fails even trying to do that, its a fresh install and yes already restarted

so im basically trying to backup the backup server and its not working

it cant access admin$ but i can access it when going via windows

Are you talking about using Veeam Backup and Replication to backup a physical server?

Veeam Backup and Replication doesn’t backup physical servers, but as you say you can use the Veeam Agent for Windows.

Any particular reason for backing up the whole backup server? All you really need from a Veeam perspective is a backup of the Veeam configuration

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/export_vbr_config.html?ver=120

Hi @hilzzzz - 

Welcome to the Community! You can use VBR to backup physical devices using Protection Groups, but from the sounds of your post, I think it’s overkill here. You would mainly use VBR to backup physical machines mostly for a corporate setting for centrally managing backup of those physical machines, and a more automated fashion to add/remove phys devices needing backed up; as well as provide more advanced storage Repo options to store physical machine backups.

What specifically are you trying to achieve? Test Veeam out, or take a backup of this physical machine? If the latter, I instead recommend using Veeam Agent for Windows free download. It is probably best to also skim through the Agent User Guide on how to set up your machine and test this out.

If you’re wanting to test VBR out, you can certainly install it on this physical device, but then you would moreso want some VMs to test with. Do you have a virtual environment with VMs on to backup? Again, you can use VBR to backup your physical device with, but unless there is some need as I shared above, I recommend just using the Agent.

Let us know if you have further questions.

You can use VBR to backup physical devices using Protection Groups

Worth pointing out that you still need the Veeam Agents installed onto the physical server to allow VBR to utilise Protection Groups

Yep...good shout out Craig, but the Agent can be deployed via VBR if this is the route decided upon.

Comment