Solved

Veeam V12 upgrade

Userlevel 5
Badge

Actually I have tried to install v12 RTM as a in-place upgrade on 4 customer servers now and all fail.

Veeam support has been on remote session and we will continue the work tomorrow since it also failed at last attempt after hours of troubleshooting.

Would be interesting to hear if there is anyone else who has been issues with the upgrade? The servers I have tested has the latest v11 build and server 2016. Very simple deployments with few config settings so no big issue. But so far I am a bit concerned to start upgrading larger deployments.

icon

Best answer by ddomask 10 February 2023, 13:36

View original

19 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I’ve resisted the urge to push RTM to clients machines so far.  I do want to push it to my internal production server but I’m waiting for some replica seeding to complete. 

What errors are you running into so that we can be on the lookout, and also, do you have any resolutions yet?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Here is two different errors I have seen so far. No solution so far from the Veeam engineers but will continue to work with them to pursue a solution. One of the logs is referring some permissions but we are running as administrator on the server, started the setup.exe with right click administrator etc. 

Cannot find the object "dbo.backuprepositories.ultraarchivesettings" because it does not exist or you do not have permissions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I upgrade only my homelab environment until now and no problems about that.

I don’t like to put RTM on customer side.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I know there will be a patch at GA from RTM, but does the customer need an RTM capability? This is what we call Early Availability, it isn’t intended to upgrade to customers widespread.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Further… we should have end users generally go to V12 at the general availability release… 

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Rick Vanover These customers are very small (1Vms) and is good candidates to these tests. They have of course approved to do this since we do it for free for these few customers. I have also deployed V12 in lab without issues. RTM is supported so I think its good case both for us, and for the Veeam engineers to see what might cause this. 

They dont need any of the V12 capabilities for now, but as you mentioned it; one of our consultants forgot to bring a local harddrive/nas to a new customer to run the backup too.. Direct object storage copy to Azure would be nice until we get a external drive shipped.. :)

So we will of course not do this widespread, but to test a few small customers is very interesting.

Btw, congratulations with V12, seems like a huge upgrade for us as we can go from Amazon S3 to Azure for immutability (100% Microsoft/Veeam shop….) and the direct object storage copy will have some good usecases.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I had no issues but v12 RTM in my lab. But like @Rick Vanover said it is not for customer production environments. I would wait for GA to try in production. We even discourage our alliance partners from sharing with customers😁.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Pybarra I fully agree with you and @Rick Vanover on this, but these few servers are small HPE Microservers with perhaps 2-3 users sharing a network share (They are of course candidates for Teams but have some obscure 3rd party programs that need a fileshare locally). We are 100% the administrators for these servers and are in complete control as we are doing this as a Server As A Service..

Userlevel 5
Badge

If someone is running to some of the same problems with updating, you can always uninstall the parts of v12 and remove the components, then reinstall v11 with the latest iso.

And use this kb to install with clean database and reconnect your existing database:

KB4204: Veeam Repair/Reinstall/Upgrade fails with "The following SQL database patches are missed"

For now I will wait for the GA-bits to see if there is something that will fix the issues I am experiencing for the rest of my customers. I will though let the Veeam engineers examine one or two of the servers which has the problem so they can collect any information which they may use to find settings/hardware/drivers which might cause this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Very strange..installed on my VCSP environment (3 cloud connect servers) with no issue..

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Some confusing messages here, as it’s supported to open a support ticket and get the RTM build of v12?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Likely this issue is related to a known collation issue.

If you are experiencing this _when installing v12 RTM_, please open a support case with logs (https://veeam.com/kb1832, select the 3rd option and select the Veeam Server) and reference issue 473710. Please also check the collation of the v11 database/instance and note it in the case: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/collations/view-collation-information?view=sql-server-ver16

Please note that the error in this topic might be something else, so allow time for the Engineers to review the situation and determine if it’s a match.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I know there will be a patch at GA from RTM, but does the customer need an RTM capability? This is what we call Early Availability, it isn’t intended to upgrade to customers widespread.

Indeed, I know for years that Veeam delivers stable new versions even at RTM, but bugs or issues can happen. Therefore indeed, I agree with @Rick Vanover : I never install those at a customer… wait until the GA is available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Some confusing messages here, as it’s supported to open a support ticket and get the RTM build of v12?

@MicoolPaul 

Yes, if a customer wants to be an early adopter, they can get the RTM build by a support case. But I suggest to wait for the next few days. It‘s out soon :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Had no issues in my testlab (clone of production-vm), except at the start of the upgrade-process in the wizard - I received some very weird errors about invalid handles. Never seen that before…

If that is of interest, in which log would I find that message again?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @mcz 

Please test again with V12 GA. If you still see the same issue, please open a support case with our Customer support. A screenshot should be provided and logs.

Installation logs are stored here:

C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Setup\Temp

Thanks,

Fabian

Userlevel 5
Badge

We saw the same issue with the V12 GA bits on that particular server. But uninstall of 11, clean reinstall of v12 to new database, then restore configuration backup, everything worked just smooth.

Updated a few dozen servers since then with no issue at all.

Once again, congratulations with a very nice release!

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@Mildur the GA installation worked now fine without any issues...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @FrankIversen 

Upgrade Process

1. Make sure the latest run for all existing jobs has been completed successfully. Rerun any failed jobs.

2. Ensure there are no running jobs, restore sessions, Instant Recovery sessions and SureBackup jobs. We recommend that you do not stop running jobs and let them complete successfully.

3. Disable any periodic and backup copy jobs temporarily to prevent them from starting during the upgrade.

4. Disable CDP policies. Otherwise, the CDP filter driver will not be upgraded.

5. Ensure there are no active tasks from standalone (unmanaged) agents.

6. Ensure there are no active Veeam Disaster Recovery Orchestrator tasks.

7. Perform the configuration backup, as described in Running Configuration Backups Manually. Ensure you have configuration backup encryption enabled. Otherwise, stored credentials will not be included in it. For more information, see Creating Encrypted Configuration Backups

Comment