Veeam V12 Launch x Community Hub Discussion Board

Show first post

36 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Oh yes, I forgot about PostgreSQL. 😎

This is a feature I am especially looking for, because we have several Veeam servers hitting the 10GB DB size limit and have expensive MS SQL licenses in use...

Yes, definitely one of the top 5 on my list for sure too.  Getting away from SQL licensing will be a bonus.

Yep…..a lot of SME asking about SQL licensing so they can definitively leave MSSQL to save money.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This is a feature I am especially looking for, because we have several Veeam servers hitting the 10GB DB size limit and have expensive MS SQL licenses in use...

Yes, definitely one of the top 5 on my list for sure too.  Getting away from SQL licensing will be a bonus.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @safiya my 2 cents

• What V12 capability are you most anticipating?

MFA, Postgres DB platform and to have Object Storage in the Performance Tier

• How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication?

We apply upgrade immediatly on our labs 

• SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading?

Oh my boss is excited

• How long do you wait before upgrading?

We work with customers so we need to wait their availability

• Do you set a test lab for upgrades?

Sure

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Here are my responses -

• What V12 capability are you most anticipating? --- I think the direct to object

Oooh...somehow I forgot this one!  :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
  • What V12 capability are you most anticipating?
    • VeeaMover and MFA
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication?
    • ​​​​​​​Depends on the degree of upgrade.  Most of the time there’s not a lot of need to plan unless there are other impacts such as using a feature that is being deprecated, additional infrastructure needs (such as expanding per-job backups to per-VM, etc).  Internally not a big deal.  For external clients, yes, planning is needed, and some of that stems from dependencies - clients that are hosting data on VCC vendors such as 11:11 will need to wait to update until those vendors are able to support the new version.
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading?
    • ​​​​​​​Yes, but usually as it’s happening or right before just as a heads-up.
  • How long do you wait before upgrading?
    • ​​​​​​​Internally I update almost right away….I tend to trust Veeam updates more than updates from other vendors.  External clients - often it’ll be a couple weeks after the release though I don’t plan on waiting as long this time around.  Now that I can deploy upgrades via the Service Provider Console, assuming testing works well (I have one lab environment giving me a weird error), then those that can be updated sooner will be.  It’s a lot more manual and takes a lot more time when I have to do them one-by-one.
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades?
    • ​​​​​​​I can.  Sometimes I don’t, sometimes I do - just depends on the current state of the lab and if I have the time as well as if there are certain features that I need to perform additional testing on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
  • What V12 capability are you most anticipating? - VeeamMover, MFA, Plugin Improvements
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication? - We will wait some weeks before we will update our existing production environments. We have a test environment were we will test the upgrade and the database change. We are building two new environments at the moment and will build them with V12 right away.
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading? - Yes all of our environments are under change control.
  • How long do you wait before upgrading? - We wait approximately 4 weeks before upgrading our production environments to a new major release.
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades? - Yes

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I’m looking forward to the following:

• Direct to Object, corollary to Cloud Protection Agents (the Veeam Repo can be very expensive to run in public cloud!)
  • Support for VBAWS v6 and VBAzure v5 for my cloud customers
  • Support for VB365 reporting
  • Improved support for Immutability Reports and Alerts
  • Backup Chain Improvements - so many reasons!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  • What V12 capability are you most anticipating? Postgresql Explorer, Veeamover, new Oracle features.
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication? We will wait for the first patch, update documentation before...
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading? changes in production must be reported 😅
  • How long do you wait before upgrading? 2-4 weeks after GA, except there is a urge for a new feature.
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades? yes, we will do when GA will be available!

we have made several updates since using Veeam, we had 0 problem and i hope this new update won’t break the positive chain!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Here’s my responses

• What V12 capability are you most anticipating? - VeeamMover is a huge one and MFA
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication? - It will be a phased approach across our client base as we have approx 50 VBR servers to complete
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading? - Yes our environments are going RTM under change control.
  • How long do you wait before upgrading? - Client VBR servers we will typically wait a minimum of 2 weeks before planning unless any request the upgrade
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades? - Yes
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Here are my responses -

• What V12 capability are you most anticipating? --- I think the direct to object along with the VeeaMover to migrate jobs/repos
  • How do you plan upgrades to Veeam Backup & Replication? --- Upgrades are done in our lab with documentation updates, diagram changes, etc. by myself before it gets to the Change Request stage for actual rollout
  • SNARK - Do you tell your boss you are upgrading? --- Hard not to as it goes through Change Control - LOL
  • How long do you wait before upgrading? --- Typically we take anywhere from 2-4 weeks as I run through the upgrade process several times to ensure things work as expected and allow all documentation to be updated including Visio diagrams, etc.
  • Do you set a test lab for upgrades? --- Yes we have a lab that we use for all upgrades including Veeam 😎

Comment