Solved

Veeam options for longer term copies

Userlevel 5

Running Veeam v12 and currently backing up for 14 days to a local HPE storeonce.

I want to also put a longer term copy into an AWS S3 bucket for about 1 year. Probably once a month.

The best option I think is to perform a backup copy, not via a SOBR.

If via copy is there a compatibility issue creating a copy job from storeonce catalyst repos to S3 repos?

thoughts?

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 1 March 2024, 20:25

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can use a Backup Copy job in Periodic mode and schedule it when you need.  This works fine with HP Storeonce.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

No compatibility issues I can see as Veeam will read the required files to copy them to AWS S3.

Userlevel 5

thanks Chris, yes this seems like the only way…..no need for SOBRs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I saw customer using backup copy from StoreOnce to Object Storage, it’s ok, no compatibility issue as far as I know.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Another option is to use VBR’s Archive Tier feature.  It enables you to send GFS backups (weekly,monthly, yearly) to a cold storage tier of object storage.  This includes AWS S3 Glacier, Microsoft Azure Archive Storage, and new with VBR v12.1 on-prem cold s3 compatible storage.

Userlevel 5

You can use a Backup Copy job in Periodic mode and schedule it when you need.  This works fine with HP Storeonce.

just thinking, archive tier isnt visible in the SOBR so I assume its not compatible with the performance or capacity tier…..so we have to use backup copy jobs

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

just thinking, archive tier isnt visible in the SOBR so I assume its not compatible with the performance or capacity tier…..so we have to use backup copy jobs

Yeah there are only certain ones that you can use archive tier for like AWS and Azure as the capacity tier must match the vendor.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Do you have an archive tier repository available to be used by the SOBR?

Comment