Solved

Veeam Agent - Backup too big for available disk

Hi colleagues, 

I’m wondering, whether there is a solution to backup a machine with Veeam Agent to multiple HDD disks. Unfortunately, the available disk size is below the machine size, which means the backup would need to “overlap” to the 2nd disk. Is this somehow possible?

Best

Manuel

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 8 October 2022, 12:42

View original

4 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, you’d need those disks to be in some form of RAID, Veeam won’t split its backup between multiple disks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Does the source system have multiple disks? If so, you could create different backups jobs for certain volumes and let it backup to the other target disk. Same goes for file backups.

Thanks a lot for your fast answers! No, unfortunately it’s just one disk. I do have some old spare disks, which of them I thought to use. Putting them both into a RAID 0 would be an approach, but I would have to have them both plugged in at the same time. 

I suppose I have to use tar for a solution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks a lot for your fast answers! No, unfortunately it’s just one disk. I do have some old spare disks, which of them I thought to use. Putting them both into a RAID 0 would be an approach, but I would have to have them both plugged in at the same time. 

I suppose I have to use tar for a solution.

Are you proposing to use tar to protect your machine? Or Veeam backup and then tar to split the backups? If the later then you’d still need space to store your original backup first.

Comment