Solved

VBR 12.1 - Quick Migration Show no Processing Rate When Job Completed

Userlevel 5
Badge

I’m not sure if this is an existing issue or new, however, when doing a Quick Migration in VBR 12.1, I see no processing rate of the job when completed.  In VBR 11, we would get a XYZ MB/s or GB/s in that “area”. Any ideas? Can this be found in logs? Some DB table (how to connect to DB if so)?

icon

Best answer by jaceg23 28 March 2024, 19:42

View original

27 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It should show the processing rate.
Althought it’s possible see this info in the logs, I would suggest open a case with Veeam SUpport because this is not normal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What about the History node and viewing job details? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I did a quick test here and it’s showing the processing rate:

I’m using the last build (12.1.1.56). Are you using this build?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I was about to say it should show processing rate.

Userlevel 5
Badge

On Build 12.1.0.2131, not yet on that build :/. Should it work on this build?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Nope, same there. However, I was once at v11 and the jobs I did then show in history and have the PR.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Althought it’s possible see this info in the logs, I would suggest open a case with Veeam SUpport because this is not normal.

From my knowledge, there’s only one log for migration, and I do not see anything in there right offhand for speed, I’m still digging however.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

On Build 12.1.0.2131, not yet on that build :/. Should it work on this build?

Should work on this build too.

Userlevel 5
Badge
My Test Migration

If my math is right 🤣…

3h 22m 5s (12125 s), 4.8 TB (5033164.8 MB), ~415 MB/s

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From my knowledge, there’s only one log for migration, and I do not see anything in there right offhand for speed, I’m still digging however.

There is actually a few logs because this involves read the source data and transfer to target host.
In my case, my VBR server is my proxy, so I have all the logs here: C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\Quick_Migration_Job

Here a screenshot of my folder:

If you have different proxies you should see the logs on those servers too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
My Test Migration

If my math is right 🤣…

Are you migrating VM between ESXi servers in the same vCenter?
Maybe is using vMotion to do the migration?

Do a test and select the option “Force Veeam transport usage” and see if the processing rate will show:

Userlevel 5
Badge

Case #07142504 opened to Veeam. Sev 4. 

Userlevel 5
Badge
My Test Migration

If my math is right 🤣…

Are you migrating VM between ESXi servers in the same vCenter?
Maybe is using vMotion to do the migration?

Do a test and select the option “Force Veeam transport usage” and see if the processing rate will show:

Just doing Storage vMotion. Same host different storage. I’ll get back to you with how that goes cause I only have two big VMs at the moment for testing, this behemoth and another 1.6TB one. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Nope, same there. However, I was once at v11 and the jobs I did then show in history and have the PR.

Ugh... Interesting 😕

Userlevel 5
Badge

So on top of the PR not showing, thoughput is also not showing. And it should be showing it "live" as the VM moves. Did a "Force Veeam Transport" of a small VM and it showed PR, Throughput, and the live update graph. However, we don't want to do migrations in this manner, we want to move them using Storage vMotion as it doesn’t suspend/resume the VM, it keeps it alive.

SmartSwitch (not Storage vMotion)
Shows it all :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So on top of the PR not showing, thoughput is also not showing. And it should be showing it "live" as the VM moves. Did a "Force Veeam Transport" of a small VM and it showed PR, Throughput, and the live update graph. However, we don't want to do migrations in this manner, we want to move them using Storage vMotion as it doesn’t suspend/resume the VM, it keeps it alive.

Well, you opened the case, let's see what support says, but i think that because storage vmotion is doing the migration Veeam doesn't have access to those infos. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Well, you opened the case, let's see what support says, but i think that because storage vmotion is doing the migration Veeam doesn't have access to those infos. 

Which is strange, because in VBR11 in both test and production, it shows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to be sure, I did another quick migration but this time with storage vmotion and yes, same symptom:

Unfortanately, I don’t have any lab with v11 to test. I hope support can help you with this problem @jaceg23 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just to be sure, I did another quick migration but this time with storage vmotion and yes, same symptom:

Unfortanately, I don’t have any lab with v11 to test. I hope support can help you with this problem @jaceg23 

Interesting. Glad you could at least replicate the behavior @wesmrt . Hopefully Support can come up with a resolution.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Unfortanately, I don’t have any lab with v11 to test. I hope support can help you with this problem @jaceg23 

So potential bug in the 12.x release.  Nice confirmation @wesmrt and hopefully it will be fixed in the next CP.

Userlevel 5
Badge
v11 Prod

Example from v11 Prod, no throughput show, no live progress tracking, but at the end it does display the PR.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
v11 Prod

Example from v11 Prod, no throughput show, no live progress tracking, but at the end it does display the PR.

🤔🤔 So, somewhat normal behavior in v12 then?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
v11 Prod

🤔🤔 So, somewhat normal behavior in v12 then?

The problem is not showing the processing rate on v12. Maybe Veeam changed something on how we get this info.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I had to tell the SE at Veeam to test it themselves because they asked questions like, we’ll were you watching this, watching that? Of course I was, if I wasn’t, I’d probably wouldn’t have given a 💩. They said their working on reproducing it in their lab. Til next time fellow Veeam-ers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Well hopefully they replicate it and can then fix it in a patch.

Comment