Solved

Secondary Storage - DR Site

Userlevel 2
  • Not a newbie anymore
  • 5 comments

Hello Techies,

We use Veeam Backup as our backup solution, and I am planning to configure Veeam as follows to make sure that our data are safe during a primary site unrecoverable disaster.

• Regularly backup configuration and keep it external storage source ( One Drive, external HDD ..etc ) 
  • At the end of each backup, I will configure a copy job to secondary storage 
  • The secondary storage will be mapped from the DR site using the site-to-site link.

So, after each job, a copy will be placed into secondary storage and the secondary store will be on the DR site.

In the event of primary site unrecoverable disaster, I will perform as follows

1- Install fresh Veeam software 

2- Restore configuration

3- Map secondary storage backup LUN / Volume 

4- Restore from secondary storage

Am I missing something? any suggestion?

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 23 October 2021, 19:25

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That seems to cover everything and you should be good. Just remember to install the exact same version of Veeam in the primary site at the secondary before the restore otherwise there will be issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi @Shak thats a perfectly sound plan and crucially, will work. However if I may, I’d like to offer some advice to improve your Recovery Time Objective (RTO) and potentially performance.

I would suggest replicas at your DR site, to be able to spin up your VMs much quicker than restoring from backups, as they’ll be uncompressed copies stored natively in Hyper-V or VMware (you haven’t specified), the performance of the VMs will be faster than reading from a backup.

You wouldn’t necessarily need to send your copy a second time and could seed your replicas from your backup copy job, you could then have certain VMs replicate more frequently for a lower amount of data loss (RPO).

Creating replicas enables the following benefits:

• Re-IP: If your DR site had a different subnet range you can get Veeam to automatically amend the networking for all your VMs as they boot! Saving DR reconfiguration time.
  • SureReplica (VMware Only): You can perform automation testing to confirm core services are accessible and even script your own bits here. If you’re Hyper-V if you leverage backups as your data source instead of production you could still perform SureBackup on your original backup to validate that, giving a strong likelihood that your replicas or backup copy are good working sets of data.
  • Failover Plan: Your business applications have dependencies, this could be active directory, DNS, a core SQL server etc. Failover plan let’s you pre-define the boot order for your VMs and boot delays between them, so all dependencies start in the correct order, saving troubleshooting time as DNS wasn’t ready when your applications started trying to sign in!

Finally if doing all this you could then also move your Veeam B&R server to your DR site and that way it’s not impacted by a primary site outage and is immediately ready to start your recovery processes instead of the Veeam installation steps you mentioned, again, positively impacting RTO!

These are just lessons from the field 🙂 hopefully this helps!

Userlevel 2

@Chris.Childerhose Thank you soo much 🌹

Userlevel 2

@MicoolPaul Thank you , that sounds like a plan. Let me go through it and I will have more questions 👍🏻

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@MicoolPaul Thank you , that sounds like a plan. Let me go through it and I will have more questions 👍🏻

Sounds good! What are you using btw? VMware or Hyper-V?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@Chris.Childerhose Thank you soo much 🌹

Sure no problem. Hope all works out.

Comment