Question

Renaming NetApp volumes causes backup to fail

While adding some new Volumes, I found that some of my NetApp Volumes were not named correctly according to our standard naming conventions.  Thinking nothing of it, I renamed them and carried on.

I had my Veeam B&R server rescan the storage and all seemed well, until every backup job failed.

“Cannot find any relevant ONTAP SnapMirror and SnapVault relationships
Failed to create processing task for VM <servername> Error: Failed to prepare VM for processing from secondary storage snapshot, and the option to failover to primary storage snapshot is disabled.”

The Volumes are set up for VMware with a single LUN presented via Fiber Channel.

It is set up to do an intra-cluster snapshot from an FAS8300 to a FAS2720 and backup from the FAS2720

The protection relationships all say they are healthy and under the Veeam policy on the storage.

I’ve had a ticket open with support for 10 days and am not getting anywhere fast.

They had me edit the properties of the storage and click through and then doing a re-scan.  Everything looks correct but the jobs fail.

They had me run “snapmirror resync” on all snapmirror relationships.  Failed again.

They had me upgrade to ONTAP 9.13.1P8.  Afterwards I did a rescan of the storage.  Failed again.

My director has suggested deleting the storage from Veeam and adding it back, but I don’t know what history I will lose that way so I am reluctant to “back off and nuke it from orbit...”

2 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What do the logs for the jobs say?  Check here to get more details - C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\Jobname

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hi, 

you CAN delete and readd storage, but this will break your snapshot retention. Meaning that you have to delete the snapshots on primary and secondary manually, Veeam does not expire them. You can delete them direct from the Veeam UI so i think it's no Big Deal. 

Anyway renaming is not a problem, my ideas:

- 8300 Snapmirror list-destinations

Do you See all Snapmirror targets there? 

If not look for a snapshot from veeam On primary side that is NOT existing on secondary.

On 2720 perform manually Snapmirror Update with Parameter - source-snapshot "Name of snapshot you have only on primary"

Regards 

Matze

Comment