Solved

new jobs, same data protected

Userlevel 1

Hi

Id like to find out what people think the best course of action would be in my circumstances. we have an agent backup job that was running on a WSFC failover cluster file server. this was backup up to a SOBR which was tiered to AWS

We have just removed the WSFC cluster in favour of single servers, I have had to create new backup jobs within Veeam (cant use clustered type for non clustered) which was fairly easy

my question is what do to with the old jobs, they have backup data attached to them in performance capacity tiers which I don’t want to accidentally remove but I am unsure whether it is best to just disable the job, or remove the protected volumes from the jobs, but I think that if I disable or remove the selections that Veeam wont be able to manage the retention policies

thanks! 

icon

Best answer by Mildur 16 January 2022, 17:05

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @comical 
Same answer from me as in the R&D forums :)

Hi Gary

Are you using Veeam V11?
There is a new background retention job for old gfs restore points (in a disabled job or removed from a job).
It checks every 24 hours which backup files are out of date and removes them. This will not work for imported restore points, because they doesn‘t have a retention assigned. But it will work for standard and orphaned restore points.

For the short term retention, veeam uses the outdated backup retention policy. Remove deleted items data after.

So it doesn‘t matter if you delete or disable the backup job. With Veeam V11, the retention policy should work either way. Your backups will be deleted accordingly to how you specified your retention policy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If you are using Agent as you said then disabling the job will still delete files based on retention.  See this post - https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/deleted-vm-retention-when-job-is-disabled-t61804.html

Userlevel 1

Hi @comical 
Same answer from me as in the R&D forums :)

Hi Gary

Are you using Veeam V11?
There is a new background retention job for old gfs restore points (in a disabled job or removed from a job).
It checks every 24 hours which backup files are out of date and removes them. This will not work for imported restore points, because they doesn‘t have a retention assigned. But it will work for standard and orphaned restore points.

For the short term retention, veeam uses the outdated backup retention policy. Remove deleted items data after.

So it doesn‘t matter if you delete or disable the backup job. With Veeam V11, the retention policy should work either way. Your backups will be deleted accordingly to how you specified your retention policy.

Hi, 

I am yes, using v11 and the old points are GFS. thank you for the links

I think from that I can just disable the old jobs and carry on and let Veeam keep track of that for me. I am relieved that I wont accidentally delete ll my old restore points by accident!

Userlevel 1

If you are using Agent as you said then disabling the job will still delete files based on retention.  See this post - https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-replication-f2/deleted-vm-retention-when-job-is-disabled-t61804.html

thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi, 

I am yes, using v11 and the old points are GFS. thank you for the links

I think from that I can just disable the old jobs and carry on and let Veeam keep track of that for me. I am relieved that I wont accidentally delete ll my old restore points by accident!

Your welcome :-) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

thank you!

You're welcome

Comment