Solved

M365 Backup - Backup of OneNote Items fails

Userlevel 2

Good morning guys,

I recently noticed that some of our M365 backup jobs (various tenants and various backup VMs) always complete with warnings. We are having this problem for about a week or so.

The messages always look like this:

Failed to backup item: /personal/testuser_testdomain_com/Documents/Todo.one, Download request retry timeout exceeded.

Has anybody of you noticed similar problems when trying to backup OneNote-Files?

Thank you very much

best regards

yanni4iwx

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 6 October 2023, 22:34

View original

50 comments

Just to add to the choir, we’re experiencing the same issue on several tenants. Mostly on recycle bins and deleted items, but not only on those.

Sometimes the issues are transient, sometimes they’re persistent.

We’re on 7.0.0.4388 P20231015, and we’ve created a Veeam support request (07032504)

Hello,

We are experiencing the same problem. Unfortunately updating to 7.0.0.4388 did not resolve the issue.

Thank you @DSI Astreinte for sharing! After replacing the corrupted .one-Files our issues were gone.

@DSI Astreinte @yanni4iwx @jrgray93 @ict Did any of you open a support case regarding this issue?

I opened a support ticket yes and for the moment response of support is a Microsoft issue or corrupted OneNote page … but we have several users with erreor when backing up about :

/personal/user@domain/Documents/User @ domain/OneNote_RecycleBin/OneNote_DeletedPages.one.

Download request retry timeout exceeded.

Case #06400649

Comment :

Hello,

I did some testing on this scenario and I found a way to be able to verify if the files can be downloaded.

In the majority of the cases the file is corrupted so you can try to download it but in the last couple of weeks, Microsoft have done some changes to SPO and you can't download OneNote files  anymore, so you can to try to open and download the tabs using this method:

1.Navigate to the location where the OneNote is stored:

In the O365 Admin center click on Users -> Active usersFind and open the user for which the backup failsClick on OneDriveClick on "Create link to files"Open that link

2.In the same folder, create a new folder with this format: Name of the OneNote+2

You can just copy the name of the OneNote and add a 2 at the end. EG: "problemItem2"

3.Open that folder in the browser

4.Edit the path to the folder and remove the 2

OneNote file name is test and I created folder test 2.

This will open a tab and the OneNote will be displayed like a document library and not a file, in there you can see the OneNote tabs and other OneNote additional files, in that list you need to find the file called %%%%%%%%%% and try to download it.

Those items are downloadable:

After that, please download the file from there and remove it. Reupload the file after that to the same location and start the backup job again.

If this fails with the same message, please consider moving the file to another location or add the file to a .rar archive.

============================================

If the files can't be downloaded this means that the problem is with the source.

In this situation, please raise a ticket with Microsoft in regards with this behavior and present them with the results from our previous tests.

Another workaround will be to copy each OneNote page to a new section and delete the corrupt one afterwards. After that the download button will work again and the backup will work.

I have opened the Veeam support case and received the same answer as above. I have followed this method and I was unable to download the files.

I had to copy each OneNote page to a new section and delete the corrupt one afterwards. After that the download button started working again and the backups finished without warnings.

Any news regarding this issue? I’ve been experiencing the same warning for a week now.

if it is a Microsoft problem shouldn’t Veeam release a note or KB?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Has anyone tried the v7a release that came out today to see if that addresses the issue?

Updated to 7.1.0.1301 this morning and we are still having the same issue with multiple tenants and dozens of users. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Updated to 7.1.0.1301 this morning and we are still having the same issue with multiple tenants and dozens of users. 

Well hopefully support can get that sorted out for you.

Well hopefully support can get that sorted out for you.

Thanks Chris, I linked this thread in my support case. I will follow up on this if we are able to resolve this issue without having to download and reupload the Onenote files.

We have the same problem even after Updating to Veeam O365 version 7A

So we did like @DSI Astreinte posted. After step 4 we dowloaded the entire folder. We got a Onedrive_”date”.zip with the downloaded files and an __All_errors.txt with the dowload that listed all non-downloadable (corrupted) files.  

Updated to 7.0.0.4388 P20231015 a few days ago and we are still having the same issue.
We’ve created a Veeam support request (07043733). However, we do not receive timely support because when I created the support request I could only select the product "Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Free Support" and not a purchase product with support.

Userlevel 1

Didn’t have any luck with Microsoft support. They just said OneNote files aren’t designed to be downloaded. Also asked about what API is being used by Veeam to process OneNote files during the backup, obviously I didn’t have an answer for that.

I will open a case with Veeam anyway.

Here the same problem unfortunately.

Gut feeling Microsoft is going to push the MS Backup 365 service anytime now… Creating some hurdles for the competition. Personal opinion; backing up MS cloud stuff to MS cloud? Doesn't feel right, although it could be a completely different datacenter of course.

Hi,

I tried the method given to DSI Astreinte by the support, ended up with that :

while the file is 49.8KB …

let’s hope we don’t get a lot of these too

Updated to 7.0.0.4388 P20231015 a few days ago and we are still having the same issue.
We’ve created a Veeam support request (07043733). However, we do not receive timely support because when I created the support request I could only select the product "Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365 Free Support" and not a purchase product with support.

Thanks “a lot” to Veeam Support - nobody cares:
This is Veeam Support with a system generated courtesy notification.
Unfortunately, due to low support staff availability we were unable to process your request. This support case has been archived automatically.
Please keep in mind that, support for Free Products is provided on a best effort basis depending on staff availability. There are no response goals or response guarantees for this service per Veeam Customer Support Policy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks “a lot” to Veeam Support - nobody cares:

Hi Laxi

Community edition users get support on best effort. This is well documented in our support policy → Veeam Customer Support Policy

4.3. Community, Free and NFR licensed products

We do not provide phone support for Community, Free or NFR licensed products. Email support is provided on a best-effort basis depending on staff availability, but there are no response goals or response guarantees for this service. Access to hot fixes, patches and updates requires an active maintenance contract for at least one deployment of the corresponding product. Users without an active maintenance contract receive fixes by downloading periodic generally available product releases.

Similarly, General Inquiry cases regarding feedback for Veeam websites and services do not have SLA’s or Phone Support.

This month we released multiple new product versions and we have first to troubleshoot cases from our licensed users before taking over cases from our free product offerings. I suggest you try again in early 2024 when we expect lower load on our support team from licensed customers.

Best,

Fabian

This month we released multiple new product versions and we have first to troubleshoot cases from our licensed users before taking over cases from our free product offerings. I suggest you try again in early 2024 when we expect lower load on our support team from licensed customers.

Best,

Fabian

Hello, I would understand everything. It's just that we licensed the product. When creating the support request, only the free version can be selected as the product.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Laxi 

Is it possible that your account is not marked as a case administrator? —> https://www.veeam.com/kb2211

Best,

Fabian

Veeam, at this moment, has confirmed that there is no current fix for this issue other than the initial Workarounds that you all have posted earlier in this discussion.

Hello Curtis,

Thank you for the update and my apologies on that last reply. Because we had a lot of cases dealing with that XML error, when I saw your latest response I just instinctively sent you the KB for that fix. 

We don't have a remedy for the 'Download retry request limit exceeded' issue. Like I said, I don't have an ETA for that one at present. So if you are opting to wait for that fix to come out would you be fine with closing the ticket? 

Once more, sorry for any confusion. Please just let me know on that and I'll follow up as soon as I can from there.

Thank you,
Josh Porter
Veeam Support

Same problem here for months - opened case with Veeam but they basically said it’s a problem with you file, just delete it, which didn’t work and they dropped the case.  Updated to 7.1.0.1401 and still happening.  We are a large customer and pay dearly for support and still getting crappy help.  Cases are taking WAY too long to get addressed if they are escalated.  This is not the service from Veeam that I have known - thinking that if Microsoft has a better way to backup O365 data coming out that it is time to switch.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tstarkenburg I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience with your case. Unfortunately some issues need to be addressed on Microsoft's side, so Support might not be able to solve them. But when you're not satisfied with a case, you can always escalate it. Or, if that doesn't help, contact support management: https://www.veeam.com/kb2320

Problem seems to be resolved by Microsoft, today no error message anymore 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Amazing news!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

That is awesome to hear.

Hi everyone,

is there someone who noticed that there is now another problem with Office Files on OneDrive and Sharepoint with this error message.

Seems to appeared after OneNote fix

Error message : 23/01/2024 19:06:42 :: Processing OneDrive NOM Prenom (https://org.sharepoint.com/personal/prenom_nom_csgroup_eu) finished with warning: Failed to process item: /personal/prenom_nom_org/Documents/Fichiers de conversation Microsoft Teams/xxx.xlsx. Item has been changed during the backup :: 0:00:05

there is hundred of this warning

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey everyone! Last week a new cumulative patch got released which contains a fix for this issue. In addition a optional workaround has been introduced to disable the warnings.

https://www.veeam.com/kb4533

https://www.veeam.com/kb4529

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey everyone! Last week a new cumulative patch got released which contains a fix for this issue. In addition a optional workaround has been introduced to disable the warnings.

https://www.veeam.com/kb4533

https://www.veeam.com/kb4529

Very cool. Thanks for posting this Regnor.

Comment