Solved

M365 Backup - Backup of OneNote Items fails

Userlevel 2

Good morning guys,

I recently noticed that some of our M365 backup jobs (various tenants and various backup VMs) always complete with warnings. We are having this problem for about a week or so.

The messages always look like this:

Failed to backup item: /personal/testuser_testdomain_com/Documents/Todo.one, Download request retry timeout exceeded.

Has anybody of you noticed similar problems when trying to backup OneNote-Files?

Thank you very much

best regards

yanni4iwx

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 6 October 2023, 22:34

View original

50 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

What version of VB365 are you using?  Also what is the size of the OneNote file?

This is an older post but similar message which might help - https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-for-microsoft-365-f47/onedrive-backup-t72996.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, this was fixed in Microsoft 365 7 P20230704 (7.0.0.3968):

https://www.veeam.com/kb4425?ad=in-text-link

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, this was fixed in VB365 v7 CP4:

Yes, but remember they pulled CP4 due to some issues so you cannot get it right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Yep I recall, my point is that it’s a known issue so when Microsoft 365 7 P20230704 (7.0.0.3968) is re-released or from what I’m hearing Veeam might skip ahead beyond this version, the fix will be included 🙂 so there’s nothing else we can do until that update is available, other than see if Veeam support can issue a Microsoft 365 7 P20230704 (7.0.0.3968) + hotfix or a hotfix for 7.0.0.3604 P20230512 (aka the currently available latest release)

Userlevel 2

Thank you very much for your help guys :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you very much for your help guys :)

You're welcome be sure to mark an answer for your question once fixed.

Not resolved for me after P20231015 (7.0.0.4388) installation

Userlevel 2

Not resolved for me after P20231015 (7.0.0.4388) installation

Unfortunately updating to 7.0.0.4388 did not resolve the issue for us either🙁

Userlevel 1

We are experiencing the same problem. 7.0.0.4388 did not help.

Userlevel 1

We still have the same problem with version 7.0.0.4388 P20231015

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@DSI Astreinte @yanni4iwx @jrgray93 @ict Did any of you open a support case regarding this issue?

We are experiencing the same problem. 7.0.0.4388 did not help.

Userlevel 1

@DSI Astreinte @yanni4iwx @jrgray93 @ict Did any of you open a support case regarding this issue?

Yep I have been working with support on it for weeks without any luck just yet.

Userlevel 1

I opened a case today.

Same issue here.  don’t see a subscribe to thread button.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Same issue here.  don’t see a subscribe to thread button.  

Once you post in a thread you get updates automatically.  😉

Also experiencing the same issue. 90% of the time it’s the file called OneNote_DeletedPages.one. But we are starting to see other OneNote named files popping up with the same warning.

we also are experiencing this… fix out soon i hope…

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hey guys, everyone who faces this issue should open a support case. We cannot fix something where our support team is not aware about :)
KB1771: How to Create a Veeam Support Case

Please let me know your case number in a DM or here after you have opened the case. Our Support will be able to check the logs and compare them with other cases.

If we find the issue in the logs, we can start developing a fix or make recommendations to solve the issue without a patch. 

Best,

Fabian

I opened a support ticket yes and for the moment response of support is a Microsoft issue or corrupted OneNote page … but we have several users with erreor when backing up about :

/personal/user@domain/Documents/User @ domain/OneNote_RecycleBin/OneNote_DeletedPages.one.

Download request retry timeout exceeded.

Case #06400649

Comment :

Hello,

I did some testing on this scenario and I found a way to be able to verify if the files can be downloaded.

In the majority of the cases the file is corrupted so you can try to download it but in the last couple of weeks, Microsoft have done some changes to SPO and you can't download OneNote files  anymore, so you can to try to open and download the tabs using this method:

1.Navigate to the location where the OneNote is stored:

In the O365 Admin center click on Users -> Active usersFind and open the user for which the backup failsClick on OneDriveClick on "Create link to files"Open that link

2.In the same folder, create a new folder with this format: Name of the OneNote+2

You can just copy the name of the OneNote and add a 2 at the end. EG: "problemItem2"

3.Open that folder in the browser

4.Edit the path to the folder and remove the 2

OneNote file name is test and I created folder test 2.

This will open a tab and the OneNote will be displayed like a document library and not a file, in there you can see the OneNote tabs and other OneNote additional files, in that list you need to find the file called %%%%%%%%%% and try to download it.

Those items are downloadable:

After that, please download the file from there and remove it. Reupload the file after that to the same location and start the backup job again.

If this fails with the same message, please consider moving the file to another location or add the file to a .rar archive.

============================================

If the files can't be downloaded this means that the problem is with the source.

In this situation, please raise a ticket with Microsoft in regards with this behavior and present them with the results from our previous tests.

Another workaround will be to copy each OneNote page to a new section and delete the corrupt one afterwards. After that the download button will work again and the backup will work.

Hello together,

we had the same error for several customer installation and different files.

I created also Case #06409979

Kr

Dieter

Userlevel 2

Thank you @DSI Astreinte for sharing! After replacing the corrupted .one-Files our issues were gone.

I opened a support ticket yes and for the moment response of support is a Microsoft issue or corrupted OneNote page … but we have several users with erreor when backing up about :

/personal/user@domain/Documents/User @ domain/OneNote_RecycleBin/OneNote_DeletedPages.one.

Download request retry timeout exceeded.

Case #06400649

Comment :

Hello,

I did some testing on this scenario and I found a way to be able to verify if the files can be downloaded.

In the majority of the cases the file is corrupted so you can try to download it but in the last couple of weeks, Microsoft have done some changes to SPO and you can't download OneNote files  anymore, so you can to try to open and download the tabs using this method:

1.Navigate to the location where the OneNote is stored:

In the O365 Admin center click on Users -> Active usersFind and open the user for which the backup failsClick on OneDriveClick on "Create link to files"Open that link

2.In the same folder, create a new folder with this format: Name of the OneNote+2

You can just copy the name of the OneNote and add a 2 at the end. EG: "problemItem2"

3.Open that folder in the browser

4.Edit the path to the folder and remove the 2

OneNote file name is test and I created folder test 2.

This will open a tab and the OneNote will be displayed like a document library and not a file, in there you can see the OneNote tabs and other OneNote additional files, in that list you need to find the file called %%%%%%%%%% and try to download it.

Those items are downloadable:

After that, please download the file from there and remove it. Reupload the file after that to the same location and start the backup job again.

If this fails with the same message, please consider moving the file to another location or add the file to a .rar archive.

============================================

If the files can't be downloaded this means that the problem is with the source.

In this situation, please raise a ticket with Microsoft in regards with this behavior and present them with the results from our previous tests.

Another workaround will be to copy each OneNote page to a new section and delete the corrupt one afterwards. After that the download button will work again and the backup will work.

Userlevel 1

I’ve been looking through the Microsoft support forums to see if they are investigating this issue (seems to be on their side and not Veeam) but can’t find anything.

Has anyone here raised a ticket with Microsoft by any chance?

Hello,

We are experiencing the same problem. Unfortunately updating to 7.0.0.4388 did not resolve the issue.

Userlevel 1

I have a support ticket open with Microsoft so will post here if there’s any info that will help others resolve this.

Comment