Solved

Linux Helper Host

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Hi Everyone,

I need help with a trip down memory lane. When was the linux helper host introduced. If I am not completely confused I remember that you used to have to use a helper appliance that Veeam would install on Esx but then later introduced the Helper Host where you could simply use a Veeam host in your managed servers to help mount the linux file system. It has been a while and I could be off target with this 

Was it one of the V11 updates? I will dig and see maybe between 10 and 11.

icon

Best answer by Mildur 10 January 2023, 23:45

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This KB seems to suggest it was even earlier than v10 - KB1447: How to log in to the Linux Helper Appliance (veeam.com)

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think the helper host was introduced with V11a.

The helper appliance is older - it was at least introduced with a 9 version...

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This KB seems to suggest it was even earlier than v10 - KB1447: How to log in to the Linux Helper Appliance (veeam.com)

Hope this helps.

Ah wait this looks like appliance, but do you remember when they brought in the linux host flr, allowing you not to use a helper appliance?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I think the helper host was introduced with 11a.

a ok. So someone without 11a won’t have it :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think the helper host was introduced with 11a.

a ok. So someone without 11a won’t have it :)

I think so, but I don’t have a written proof for this at the moment….

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I remember that I thought it was a thing that came with an update but was a big deal :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

V11 

https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_11_0_whats_new_wn.pdf

Linux FLR without helper appliance — FLR from Linux file systems can now be performed by mounting backup to ANY Linux machine: dedicated, target or the original one (which is always guaranteed to understand the file system you’re trying to restore from). This approach removes the requirement for a vSphere or Hyper-V host to run FLR helper appliance on, while eliminating networking complexities and security concerns around the appliance. It also allows customers to perform FLR directly within cloud-based VMware infrastructure offerings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

V11 

https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_11_0_whats_new_wn.pdf

Linux FLR without helper appliance — FLR from Linux file systems can now be performed by mounting backup to ANY Linux machine: dedicated, target or the original one (which is always guaranteed to understand the file system you’re trying to restore from). This approach removes the requirement for a vSphere or Hyper-V host to run FLR helper appliance on, while eliminating networking complexities and security concerns around the appliance. It also allows customers to perform FLR directly within cloud-based VMware infrastructure offerings.

Thanks Mildur!! The Star Legend re-emerges! :)

Comment