Feature Request - Add option to be able to backup a single server from a Backup Job

• 6 November 2023
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 2

I’m running Veeam B&R v12. Veeam is the only backup software I’ve used that doesn’t have the option to backup a single server from a Backup Job. It’s all or nothing.

7 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jgaskin and welcome to the Veeam Community!

Have you taken a look at Quick Backup? With this feature you can create an one-time incremental restore point for systems part of a bigger job.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/performing_quick_backup.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Came here to say this, and I’d also add that you can active full or retry a single VM if you need to: [What (else) is new in v12 - IV] Active full/Retry of a single VM of a job | Veeam Community Resource Hub

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hello @jgaskin 

You can use Quick Backup or VeeamZip:

Quick Backup - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

VeeamZIP - User Guide for VMware vSphere

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Also, if you need to back up a single server in a backup job you can always create a new backup job with just that server in it for backup.  😉

Can be a one-time run or scheduled job.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I am not sure why you thought the Veeam cannot backup signal server. Might be someone gave you the wrong information. Veeam is not only can backup single vm per job, it also can backup the physical server. Anyway, you did the right thing to join this community, you will get more correct information and meet lots of good friends :).

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

My understanding is that you can via the PowerShell CLI select a single VM from a backup job and initiate that backup of a VM.  I’ve never tried it, but I seem to remember that from somewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @jgaskin -

I was just following up on your backup question here. Did any of the provided comments answer your question for you? If so, we ask you mark which one helped you as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar question who come across your post may benefit.

Thank you!

Comment