Experience with HPE Apollo or other High Density server as backup repository?

Show first post

61 comments

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

The Apollos are not deployed, we are currently installing them with RHEL 8.2. It will take a couple of days until I’ll be able to test.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@Ralf , I would like to hear what your performance is with single VMDK-VM restore. Did you test this scenario? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

can’t wait to see the results!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We just received our 2 demo Apollo 4510 that hopefully become our new copy target. 130Kg! Let’s see if I can test them with the use cases we have for our primary backup storage too. As we are in a hurry to use them as new copy targets (broken copy chains, we have to completely start over) I’m not so sure about it. Anyhow, I’ll be able to get some first impressions soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

We use a lot of HPE StoreEasy devices for smaller environments including Windows Storage Server : perfect cost-performance balance. For larger environments is a HPE Apollo perfect : more storage available, more performant CPUs availabe, more customizable, more flexible (choose your preferred OS)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

i use Dell PowerEdge R740, R730. The performance is Good. 

For how many VM’ s and backup data?

20 VMs

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

For how many VM’ s and backup data?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi,

I’d be interested in getting feedback from people that are already using HPE Apollo’s or other high density servers with local storage as repository server. It seems that a lot of people are currently planning to use them.

• what is you setup?
  • Number of servers? Number of disks?
  • Which type and size of RAID?
  • Number of VM’s / source data
  • how is your performance?
  • do you use them only as backup target or as copy source as well?
  • which filesystem ReFS/XFS with blockcloning/reflink

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

If you don’t know these links, I would recommend you to read is:

It’s about a Veeam configuration, Veeam and HPE made missive performance tests with v11. There are a lot of tips and reasons for these.

I know both threads, I’ve already spammed the forum. Point is, I don’t see much real world user experience. HPE claims that those devices are heavily used by Veeam customers. But our Veeam contacts could not provide any (larger) company that uses Apollos.

As I’ll not have much time to test our new setup, the decision SAN + Server vs High Density Server has to be 95% the final setup. If I had more time, I’d just test this in our environment for a couple of weeks.

The benchmarks look very solid, but for us it’s not real world as data will not only be written to the Apollo, its the source for copy and offload jobs. And probably surebackup at some point. 

So… any feedback appreciated! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

If you don’t know these links, I would recommend you to read is:

It’s about a Veeam configuration, Veeam and HPE made missive performance tests with v11. There are a lot of tips and reasons for these.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For smaller environments (less than 500 VMs) we use sometimes a DELL PowerEdge R740 XD or XD2.

It is able to handle up to 24 disks with a maximum of - I think - 18TB / disk in the moment.

Up to now we used a ReFS repository with these servers. In the future we will give it a try with a linux installation and an XFS immutable repo…

The server work fine in these environments. No problems up to now.

Comment