Question

Create the backup schedule

• 19 December 2023
  • 7 comments

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I have one task and need the following purposes:

• Daily Incremential Backup and keep only 7 restore points.
  • Create the full backup every fourth of the week and keep 3 restore points

Can I do that? And how can I do?

I am using veeam backup and replicate 12.

7 comments

Userlevel 2
Badge

You can enable GFS backups, please see the below from the help center:

Step 7. Configure Long-Term Retention - User Guide for VMware vSphere (veeam.com)

Userlevel 2

Yes, You can configure with GFS but restore points not possible

1. Create a job and set retention with 7 restore points
  2. Enable GFS and enable “Keep monthly full backup for 1 month” with usuage of last week full backup
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Snifer - welcome to the Community!

Not sure I fully understand your question, but the others who commented here may have provided a solution for you. Let me see if I understand your question correctly...if not, please provide more detail what you’re wanting to do.

For a Backup Job, you can configure “restore points” or “days” for your retention policy. Regardless what type of backup method you choose → Forward Incremental, Forever Forward, or Reverse - the first backup is always a Full.

For Fwd and FFwd, the next backups are incrementals. For Fwd, you have Incrementals until the date your Active or Synthetic Full is configured to run..then on that day another Full is created, then Incrementals subsequent days.

For FFwd, all remaining backups after the full are incrementals. No Active or Synthetic fulls are created. This is the easiest backup method to keep track of in my opinion.

For Reverse, this is just like FFwd, as all remaining backups are incrementals. The ony difference is the most recent restore point is always a Full. Veeam transform the daily incremental and merges it to always have the Full be the latest restore point.

So..with any of the above, you can configure 7 restore points, but you will have at least 1 Full then 6 Incrementals.

I’m not sure I understand your 2nd requirement fully → are you wanting to create a Full once a month (every 4th week), or a Full every fourth day of the week. If you want to former (create a Full every 4th wk, or every month), then yes...you can do this using GFS. And, if you want 3 montly GFS restore points, then again...yes, you can configure this in GFS. Under the “monthly” section, just enter 3 there and you can have 3 monthly Full restore points. If this isn’t what you’re wanting, please provide better description and details of what you’re trying to acheive. And, for which job..a Backup or Backup Copy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just adding what @Surya mentioned, you can do your schedule like this:

You need to configure your GFS like this:

However your daily retention backup will ever be between 7 and 14 restore point because you need an active and inactive backup chain according your full backup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Just adding what @Surya mentioned, you can do your schedule like this:

You need to configure your GFS like this:

However your daily retention backup will ever be between 7 and 14 restore point because you need an active and inactive backup chain according your full backup:

This is a perfect example of how to configure it if this is what you are looking for.  Like Shane I am confused on the second ask as it is not clear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

As @wolff.mateus posted, you can do it from backup job to select 7 restore points, and from GFS, configure full backup every fourth week.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @Snifer -

I am just following up on your retention post here. Do you still have quesitons on how to configure your desired retention? Did any of the comments provided help you? If so, we ask you please mark which one helped you as ‘Best Answer’ so others with a similar query may benefit.

Thank you.

Comment