Solved

BackupJob on new VMs window 2019 completed with Warning: Unable to perform guest file system indexing: Failed to install via Deployment Svc

• 26 June 2023
  • 6 comments

Userlevel 4

Hi everyone!

I have new Vms window 2019 serve. it is new and I don’t understand why it complete with Warning. on the same Veeam application I have more than 12 other Vms  which have larger file and alot programs. but all of the completed success. but this new VM show warning:

6/26/2023 12:38:44 PM :: Unable to perform guest file system indexing: Failed to install via Deployment Svc  

icon

Best answer by coolsport00 26 June 2023, 13:27

View original

6 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @mohammed Kamy Kommunikasjon -check the account you're using for the indexing. But if you're not using Enterprise Manager indexing, this "feature" really isn't even needing configured in your backup job. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I remembering off the top of my head so please take with a grain of salt :). As I understand file indexing needs to inject a runtime into the VM. So this would require vmware tools and use of a windows account with admin privileges. Also I think a certain amount of space is needed on the c:\. 

Again some of the better vmware and windows experts might have info.

As @coolsport00 says indexing is really an extra. For a file server it can make sense since you can search for stuff and the mount operation is a lot faster but for other types of servers it does not have a lot of value. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

In other words, the account you're using for indexing probably doesn't have enough permissions on your VM to index. Check the Indexing section of the User Guide for more info. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

My understanding is that File System Indexing is good for self-service restore (via Enterprise Manager?), but I’ve never used it otherwise.  I’m not sure that it’s terribly useful beyond use on maybe a file server?  I believe it does make for a searchable index, so good if you don’t know exactly where a file is, but beyond that I don’t see a lot of use for it.  Generally you’re going to know exactly where a file resides if you need to restore it, so guest file system indexing is not required in most scenarios in my experience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I remembering off the top of my head so please take with a grain of salt :). As I understand file indexing needs to inject a runtime into the VM. So this would require vmware tools and use of a windows account with admin privileges. Also I think a certain amount of space is needed on the c:\. 

The screenshot indicates Hyper-V backups, so I don’t know know how Indexing works on a Hyper-V although I’m assuming it’s not too different?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The screenshot indicates Hyper-V backups, so I don’t know know how Indexing works on a Hyper-V although I’m assuming it’s not too different?

That would use VSS but I think the same type of thing but HyperV integration tools

Comment