Solved

Backup Microsoft Failover cluster

Userlevel 4

I’m trying to create a backup for Microsoft failover cluster. In protection group process i add cluster object from active directory and received the following error when testing credential which has to be connected to nodes of the cluster. 

Error message:

Failed Unable to install backup agent: failed to connect to NSI-SQL-WIN-CL: Failed to connect to failover cluster or Failed to connect to NSI-APP-WIN-CL Details: Failed to resolve host name or IP address

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 23 August 2023, 23:49

View original

10 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

This message to me points to either DNS or is there a VIP that you point to for the cluster and not directly to one of the cluster nodes?  Never had to back one of these up so just a guess.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Some other information here - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/cluster_support.html?ver=120

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Agree with Chris here re: DNS, based off your error. Start with the basics from the VBR server - ping the VIP of the Cluster & all Hosts in the Cluster to see if they're resolvable then go from there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@benjaminliga - not sure if this is the same issue as you’re having, but I found this Forums post where Support provided the poster a hotfix for the issue, with the same error you’re having. I found another post which the resolution ended up being firewall ports not allowing the communication from VBR to the Cluster. Give those a try, after looking at and verifying your DNS is working, & see if they help.

Userlevel 4

@Chris.Childerhose @coolsport00 

I just add dns server of cluster nodes cluster as dns server of my veeam backup server and i’m able to create my protection group and scan it successfully.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Great. Glad to hear you're working now. 

Userlevel 4

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hi & welcome @benjaminliga 

read this can help.

[GUIDE] How To deploy & schedule Veeam Agent Protection Group MS Cluster step by step | Veeam Community Resource Hub

regards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Glad to hear it was something easy like DNS and you got it working. Always start simple and work from there. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Comment