Skip to main content

I’m trying to create a backup for Microsoft failover cluster. In protection group process i add cluster object from active directory and received the following error when testing credential which has to be connected to nodes of the cluster. 

Error message:

Failed Unable to install backup agent: failed to connect to NSI-SQL-WIN-CL: Failed to connect to failover cluster or Failed to connect to NSI-APP-WIN-CL Details: Failed to resolve host name or IP address

This message to me points to either DNS or is there a VIP that you point to for the cluster and not directly to one of the cluster nodes?  Never had to back one of these up so just a guess.

Some other information here - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/agents/cluster_support.html?ver=120

Agree with Chris here re: DNS, based off your error. Start with the basics from the VBR server - ping the VIP of the Cluster & all Hosts in the Cluster to see if they're resolvable then go from there. 

@benjaminliga - not sure if this is the same issue as you’re having, but I found this Forums post where Support provided the poster a hotfix for the issue, with the same error you’re having. I found another post which the resolution ended up being firewall ports not allowing the communication from VBR to the Cluster. Give those a try, after looking at and verifying your DNS is working, & see if they help.

@Chris.Childerhose @coolsport00 

I just add dns server of cluster nodes cluster as dns server of my veeam backup server and i’m able to create my protection group and scan it successfully.

Great. Glad to hear you're working now. 

Thanks 

hi & welcome @benjaminliga 

read this can help.

"GUIDE] How To deploy & schedule Veeam Agent Protection Group MS Cluster step by step | Veeam Community Resource Hub

regards.

Glad to hear it was something easy like DNS and you got it working. Always start simple and work from there. 👍

Comment