Put this in your threat model! Crashing machines with… music?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Saw this article today and I’m just astounded.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20220816-00/?p=106994

In summary, Janet Jackson’s song “Rhythm Nation” could cause specific machines with 5.4k RPM hard drives to crash. The best part? The machine that crashed could be a nearby machine, not necessarily the one playing the music.

The reason behind this was specific frequencies that were being played in the track that were “resonant” frequencies for the hard drives, meaning they caused the disks to increase their “wobbling” until they made contact with the drive head, and then crashed!

One of the more interesting ways I’ve seen to crash a system so far… and the fix? Filter out those frequencies digitally in the audio pipeline

5 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Saw this article today and I’m just astounded.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20220816-00/?p=106994

In summary, Janet Jackson’s song “Rhythm Nation” could cause specific machines with 5.4k RPM hard drives to crash. The best part? The machine that crashed could be a nearby machine, not necessarily the one playing the music.

The reason behind this was specific frequencies that were being played in the track that were “resonant” frequencies for the hard drives, meaning they caused the disks to increase their “wobbling” until they made contact with the drive head, and then crashed!

One of the more interesting ways I’ve seen to crash a system so far… and the fix? Filter out those frequencies digitally in the audio pipeline

😮what will they think of next.  Wow!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

😱😱😱

So, no music in the DC 😂😂😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

😱😱😱

So, no music in the DC 😂😂😂

I’m wondering how long before some PoC virus starts messing with fans or built in speakers to trigger similar frequencies for all those 10/15k SAS drives in the DCs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Man!!! my super electronic fridge broke down last week after listening to this song. Thanks @MicoolPaul I know will expand my treat factor detection ;) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

There is an actual CVE too: CVE - CVE-2022-38392 (mitre.org) 

Comment