[World Backup Day] Veeam Backup for AWS should have been released earlier!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Since this issue wasn’t specifically caused by me, I will try to coin it correctly. The takeaway here is that with “Veeam Backup for AWS”. This issue would have been fixed in a jiffy.

Release Dates for Veeam Backup for AWS

Yes, I would love to list the various years the following versions were released and as such, most of us were left with AMI and various script options for creating backups. 

Veeam Backup for AWS, the solution designed to protect your Amazon Web Services (AWS) workloads, has seen several releases. Let’s take a look at the key versions and their release dates:

• Veeam Backup for AWS 7: Release Date: December 5, 2023
  • Veeam Backup for AWS 6a: Release Date: July 3, 2023
  • Veeam Backup for AWS 6: Release Date: July 3, 2023
  • Veeam Backup for AWS 5a: Release Date: December 9, 2022
  • Veeam Backup for AWS 5: Release Date: June 16, 2022
  • Veeam Backup for AWS 4a: Release Date: December 23, 2021
  • Veeam Backup for AWS 4: Release Date: October 5, 2021
  • Veeam Backup for AWS 3: Release Date: December 8, 2020
  • Veeam Backup for AWS 2: Release Date: June 18, 2020
  • Veeam Backup for AWS 1: Release Date: December 2, 2019

As you can see, since the first release, Veeam has continued to innovate and enhance its AWS-native backup solution, ensuring robust data protection for AWS environments.

Story Time!!!

At the time, most of our tasks were centred majorly around AWS and a large number of AWS services were utilised. One of these days, someone decided to fiddle with the Windows Firewall, Cannot exactly remember the rule that was created specifically, we just could not connect to the instance. 

… Long story short, the issue was resolved by AWS support. What they did was to rescue the EC2 instance and at the end, we were done with the whole task at about 23:00. I still remember some of these actions were performed by the AWS support.

Then, someone would ask, why didn’t you try with the “AWS System Manager Session Manager”? AWS Systems Manager Session Manager was announced at re:Invent 2018. It was released in late 2018 as part of AWS Systems Manager, providing users with a secure way to manage their Amazon EC2 instances without the need for SSH or RDP access. 

Also, to avoid data loss, restoring from an AMI was not an option.

In a Nut Shell

Veeam Backup for AWS would have helped me a lot in this way, but it was still a vision and not birthed yet! So, to avoid this in the future, we decided to test this solution “How to implement N2WS Backup & Recovery (CPM)”, and “Cloud Protection Manager: N2WS Veeam CPM Guide”.

If your workloads are running on AWS, leveraging Veeam Backup for AWS is crucial to safeguard against unforeseen circumstances. Failure to do so could lead to significant challenges, potentially resulting in substantial data loss or downtime. Therefore, it's essential to prioritize the implementation of robust backup and recovery solutions and in this case “Veeam Backup for AWS” to help mitigate risks effectively.

By utilizing Veeam Backup for AWS, you can ensure the resilience of your infrastructure and data, providing a safety net against various scenarios such as accidental deletions, cyberattacks, or infrastructure failures and misconfigurations.

Veeam Backup for AWS is tailored specifically for AWS environments, allowing you to efficiently protect your valuable assets and streamline recovery processes. 

0 comments

Be the first to comment!

Comment