Monitoring Veeam Backup with Backup Eagle

• 27 April 2023
  • 9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Monitoring with Backup Eagle

I was recently introduced to a product requiring me to do a PoC to determine if it was a viable monitoring option for my company. I was granted an NFR license to test within my HomeLab for a product named - Backup Eagle by Schmitz RZ Consult GmbH.

I was curious about how the Backup Eagle product works compared to other monitoring software. It was a straightforward install for the software based on Java, including the database used to store the data.

Backup Eagle is used for Backup Monitoring, Reporting, and Audit & Compliance.

Backup Eagle Chart - What you can use it for

Installing the software is very simple after downloading and extracting the zip file. The latest release as of this writing is - 9.9.2.73. Begin the installation using the EXE file and click through the screens.

Running the EXE to start the installation process

After the initial screen, you can install either the BE Server or the Admin Client, a component that can be installed on other systems to connect to the Backup Eagle Server. In this case, I have installed the Backup Eagle Server option.

Backup Eagle - server intallation selection

The following screens are the program file location and the start menu folder name, including the Install button to finish things up. At the end of the file installation, the second last screen is the installation and startup of the services. Once you click next, the services are created and started in a command prompt window on the screen.

Backup Eagle - installation of services

The final screen lets you start the Administration client and exit the installer.

Running the Administration Client after install

Once the product is installed, you can open the console from the installer or use the icon on the desktop named - Backup Eagle Administration Client. You will be prompted for a username & password to log in, and a default admin account is documented in the installation guide.

Some of the many things that Backup Eagle can monitor are -

• Microsoft Azure

• Cohesity

• Commvault

• Data Domain

• Networker

• RMAN

• Veeam - VBR/VCC/VB365

• VMware - vCenter/Nodes

You can find out more about Backup Eagle on their website here - https://www.schmitz-rz-consult.de/en/

In my next post, I will take you through the Administration Console and do things like license installation, adding servers to monitor, dashboards, reports, etc. So stay tuned!

9 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thanks for sharing @Chris.Childerhose . Is it more lightweight than VONE, you think?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sharing @Chris.Childerhose . Is it more lightweight than VONE, you think?

Yes it definitely is and can monitor many other things than just Veeam VBR/VCC/365.  I have my vCenter connected too.  😎

I was testing it with Networker and Data Domain in my office.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Cool. I may look into this. I don’t really have an environment monitoring tool atm.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Cool Tool @Chris.Childerhose . They should come and purchase a 300x250 banner on my website for further promotion :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks….I was just going to ask about seeing the inner workings of it, so I’m waiting on the edge of my seat for your next posting of it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks….I was just going to ask about seeing the inner workings of it, so I’m waiting on the edge of my seat for your next posting of it!

It will come just need to grab some time on top of everything else.  😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Yeah, I was telling my wife last night that I have no idea how you had time to write a book with all the stuff you’re doing. :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Very cool. Never heard of this. I may have to check it out myself. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Very cool. Never heard of this. I may have to check it out myself. 

Really cool software.  I am going to do the second blog post hopefully next week or just before VeeamON.

Comment