Solved

Azure Backup

• 19 December 2022
  • 3 comments

Hello Veeam-Community,

i hope this question doesnt arise too often:

I have Veeam Backup Essentials and Veeam Backup for O365 locally installed. I have also three Azure VMs, can i use Veeam B&R to backup these VMs in Azure. What would be the best approach? I have an Azure S2S-VPN which is currently limited to 100Mbit/s, so is it practical to backup my Azure-VMs by using the Windows Agent of Veeam? Or should i use Veeam Backup for Azure (which seems to be free for up to 10 VMs). Or maybe there is a different approach für my hybrid environment?

I´m also in the process of setting up an S3-compatible Storage (Wasabi-based), to have a type of archive for my backups.

Thanks for any advice.

icon

Best answer by MicoolPaul 20 December 2022, 07:59

View original

3 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You can manage Veeam Backup for Azure from VBR but the backups will take place from Azure so that would be the best way to move forward with that.

Welcome to Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure - Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure Guide

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi,

Im not an expert in this topic, but I can say:

If there is an Specific product for it (Veeam for Azure) why not give it a try?

And also good choice with Wasabi, I like it. 👍

Please post your experience once you get his working, 

so we can help you see, check, and also learn from your deploy and experience.

cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Apologies for entering the VUG Germany group when I don’t speak German! Noticed this was written in English and thought I may be able to help.

Your situation will improve in v12, but for now you’ve got some limitations.

Using VBR with Veeam Agents:

• Every backup is egress bandwidth from Azure, as you’d have to backup to a “traditional” backup repository. Otherwise you’d have to create a VM within Azure that could store Azure VM backups. At that point you’d probably want the VM in a different region, so you’d still have cross-region bandwidth to consider.
  • Your Backup & restores would be limited to 100Mbps. Depending on VM size this could dramatically increase your RTO.
  • You can’t use Veeam Agent Recovery Media to restore an agent as you don’t have the privilege of console access to an Azure VM, so your backup and restore workflows would be different as you’d require the use of “Restore to Azure” functionality.
  • Until V12 you can’t backup directly to object storage, so you’d be pulling a backup to your on-premises environment first, before copying up to Wasabi, utilising your datacenter’s bandwidth for the upload.

Using Veeam Backup for Microsoft Azure:

• You would benefit from native Azure VM backup & restore operations, you’d also benefit from snapshots for lower RPOs.
  • To get backups into Wasabi, or even simply out of Azure, you’d need to integrate VBR with VBfMA. In v11 this workflow would comprise of backup copies to a SOBR that can copy/move backups to wasabi, using your datacenter’s bandwidth. In v12 you could backup to Wasabi without a local copy I believe, but in terms of data flow, I don’t know if this would travel from VBfMA to gateway server and then to object storage, or if a more efficient path would exist between Azure & Wasabi.
  • You would require the VUL license type to benefit from VBfMA + VBR integration. 

Comment