Solved

Why can't I Run all jobs at the same time: "Waiting for backup infrastructure resources availability"

Userlevel 2

I’ve created 5 Jobs in Veeam Community edition, V11.

I can only seem to get 2 jobs running at the same time, with all other jobs reporting:

"Waiting for backup infrastructure resources availability"

Setup

We have 3x Physical servers/Hyper-V hosts, across 2 Physical Sites linked via a IP-Sec Site to Site VPN over NBN 100/40 Connections.

ALL Backup/replication data between the servers below travels on secondary network cards on a secondary network to the main/users network.

Note: Had been using Hyper-V’s built in replication until now deciding to switch to Veeam.

1. Hyper-V-01 (Site-A)
  2. Hyper-V-02 (Site-A)
  3. Hyper-V-03 (Site-B)

Veeam Host:

Veeam is running on a VM: Srv-Utility-01 running on Hyper-V-01

We have one Backup NAS, Synology attached to Srv-Utility-01 via iSCSI mounted as D:

Veeam Jobs:

3x Hyper-V Replications

1. Replicating 4x VM’s over the WAN to off-site Hyper-V server (Hyper-V-01 to Hyper-V-03)
  2. Replicating 1x VM’s over the WAN to off-site Hyper-V server (Hyper-V-02 to Hyper-V-01)
  3. Replicating 1x VM over LAN to second on-site Hyper-V Server (Hyper-V-02 to Hyper-V-03)

2x Backup to Synology Storage over iSCSI (on Veeam Host)

1. Backup All VM’s from Hyper-V-01 to Synology over iSCSI
  2. Backup 1x VM from Hyper-V-02

Thanks in advance

Nathan 

icon

Best answer by regnor 10 November 2021, 08:34

View original

14 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Each task needs an amount of memory and processor cores. So, you can't run more tasks in parallel as hardware ressources are available.

But you say, that you are able to run two tasks in parallel only. So, I assume you have to increase the amount of allowed parallel tasks. This can be done in the repository definition and in the proxy definition.

I don't have screenshots at hand right now. I will see if I find some tomorrow and post them then.

Userlevel 2

Let me answer my own question.

It was a limitation set in the Proxies.

(FORHEAD SLAP)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

(FORHEAD SLAP)

Exactly :sunglasses: this is what I tried to tell you. And I would have posted this screenshot tomorrow when I am in the office again.

For the backups you probably have to increase this option in the repository definitions, too.

Userlevel 2

Actually, this DIDN’T work, now I only have 1 running….

Userlevel 2

(FORHEAD SLAP)

Exactly :sunglasses: this is what I tried to tell you. And I would have posted this screenshot tomorrow when I am in the office again.

For the backups you probably have to increase this option in the repository definitions, too.

Thanks JMeixner, sorry I didn’t notice your post before posting my own.

But yeah i move it up to 6 and it didn’t fix it, and it seems i now only have 1 job running.

It is annoying that their is nothing to specifically tell you what the hold up is… 
Or is there???

Cheers

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

The issue that you modified the VMware proxy server rather than the on-host proxy for HyperV 
you will need to modify the HyperV hosts under managed servers → Hosts. if you right click you be able to modify it 

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/limiting_tasks.html?ver=110

Also make sure your backup jobs are using the on-host proxy mode for HyperV

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/hyperv/onhost_backup.html?ver=110

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you need any assistance.

Userlevel 2

Hey Andre,

Yeah, Nar I had already done those ones before, this is why I thought i had struck Gold when I found the setting on Proxies.

I just 10+ mins ago set the “on-host Proxy” mode.

Still seems to be the same.

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

Ok , have you checked the concurrency on the repository aswell?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/limiting_tasks.html?ver=110

Userlevel 2

Yeah did that one too.

Sorry I am a Noob to Veeam.

Just wish it told you what specifically it was waiting on.

EG: Reached Maximum Concurrent connections on Backup Proxies

or Bro, dude… your trying to do way too much shit at once, just chill out.

I mean i can get behind a message like that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Did you restart your jobs after adjusting the setting on your hosts? And please also keep in mind, that Veeam counts a single virtual disk as a task; so if you configure 12 concurrent tasks on a proxy/repository, this means that Veeam will process 12 virtual disks, not 12 jobs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Did you select Veeam Machine inside job backup? Or not?

KB says that vm is better to be not backupped inside bk job because stop concurrent backup.

Check if it’s similar case.

Userlevel 2

Marco:
Sorry i don’t understand your sentence.

KB says that vm is better to be not backupped inside bk job because stop concurrent backup.

Userlevel 2

regnor

Well that might explain it!!!!

I’m going to check the numbers of Disks its doing

Its hard to see exactly what its doing, in terms of #of disks.

I’m guessing the documentation did mention that somewhere, but I did not read down.

Nor did I find a post about it.

So my hope is that THIS post helps someone else out in the future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Did you restart your jobs after adjusting the setting on your hosts? And please also keep in mind, that Veeam counts a single virtual disk as a task; so if you configure 12 concurrent tasks on a proxy/repository, this means that Veeam will process 12 virtual disks, not 12 jobs.

@regnor

Your are correct about tasks on the proxy server. For the Backup Repo, tasks depends on the backup chains.

Tasks on Backup Proxy —> a single Virtual Disk is one Task.

Tasks on Backup Repository —> a Backup Chain is one Task.

For the Repo:

If you have „per Backup Job - Backup Chain“, veeam uses a single task for the entire Job.

If you have „per Machine - Backup Chain“, veeam uses a task per each machine.

Comment