Solved

vCenter configuration requirements?

• 11 January 2024
  • 8 comments

Userlevel 4

Hi Team, I am new to Veeam community. I am in the process of configuring Veeam backup and replication tool on a VMware environment. Came across an issue when configuring the infrastructure Server component and just wondering should I install vCenter prior to configuring any infrastructure servers?

Hope I make sense here.

Appreciate your feedback

icon

Best answer by Chris.Childerhose 11 January 2024, 15:32

View original

8 comments

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You technically don't have to have vCenter and can add hosts but if that is the plan I would wait until it is deployed then add to Veeam.  Using vCenter is the better option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

You can add vCenter Servers and ESXi hosts. If an ESXi host is managed by a vCenter Server, it is recommended that you add the vCenter Server. If you move VMs between ESXi hosts managed by the vCenter Server, you will not have to re-configure jobs in Veeam Backup & Replication.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/add_vmware_server.html?ver=120

Userlevel 4

Thank you very much both Chris and CarySun. When performing the configuration, initially, I commenced the process by configuring the Virtual Infrastructure Server ( I got a Domain Controller and the server hosting Veeam is a member server. Also, both are VMs). During the interface configuring the Admin account credentials, got an error message which stated, “No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it”. Research on it says, it could be the port ‘443’ could be in used for a different purpose. I disabled the Windows Firewall (just for a minute) to see whether the firewall is blocking the connection. However, I was continuously getting the same error message.

Any help on resolving the above error would be great.

Further, I tried installing the ‘vCentre 8 for Server’, however got an error message on the page where it requires entering the Credentials of the Admin account.

Appreciate your feedback pls. Just wondering should i follow the steps from the right order on a fresh member server?

Regards,

Andrew

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you very much both Chris and CarySun. When performing the configuration, initially, I commenced the process by configuring the Virtual Infrastructure Server ( I got a Domain Controller and the server hosting Veeam is a member server. Also, both are VMs). During the interface configuring the Admin account credentials, got an error message which stated, “No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it”. Research on it says, it could be the port ‘443’ could be in used for a different purpose. I disabled the Windows Firewall (just for a minute) to see whether the firewall is blocking the connection. However, I was continuously getting the same error message.

Any help on resolving the above error would be great.

Further, I tried installing the ‘vCentre 8 for Server’, however got an error message on the page where it requires entering the Credentials of the Admin account.

Appreciate your feedback pls. Just wondering should i follow the steps from the right order on a fresh member server?

Regards,

Andrew

The 443 error you got - what are you trying to add to the Veeam console?  An ESXi host? If so you should use the ROOT user to add it.  This is why using vCenter is better as you can create an account with granular permissions to add it to Veeam.

You need to have your infrastructure set up prior to adding it to Veeam to make things much easier.  Also if you are adding a vCenter server and don’t have an account set up then use the administrator one - administrator@vsphere.local until you can create one.

Userlevel 4

HI Chris, thanks a lot for your reply.

Understand the importance of having the vCenter server to better manage the entire virtual environment.

If I am configuring the infrastructure in a domain environment, I am wondering the ideal infrastructure configurations. Since this is on a test environment, I am running all the machines (including ESXi Host) also on a VM.

WIll it be right, If I configure ESXi host on one virtual machine (running on VMware) and configure the Backup Repository, Backup Proxy, and Backup Server (which got Veeam B&R is running) on nested VMs (meaning running on ESXi Host? Additionally, run the Domain Controller on a VM running on VMware platform?

Thus, the final outcome looks like, running 2 VMs on VMware workstation and run three other nested VMs on ESXi host.

Appreciate your feedback on the proposed infrastructure?

Kind regards,

Andrew Liyanage

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

HI Chris, thanks a lot for your reply.

Understand the importance of having the vCenter server to better manage the entire virtual environment.

If I am configuring the infrastructure in a domain environment, I am wondering the ideal infrastructure configurations. Since this is on a test environment, I am running all the machines (including ESXi Host) also on a VM.

WIll it be right, If I configure ESXi host on one virtual machine (running on VMware) and configure the Backup Repository, Backup Proxy, and Backup Server (which got Veeam B&R is running) on nested VMs (meaning running on ESXi Host? Additionally, run the Domain Controller on a VM running on VMware platform?

Thus, the final outcome looks like, running 2 VMs on VMware workstation and run three other nested VMs on ESXi host.

Appreciate your feedback on the proposed infrastructure?

Kind regards,

Andrew Liyanage

Yes, you can run it this way provided you have enough resources to have a nested environment.  It will work and many have run things this way.

Userlevel 4

Thanks a lot Chris. Agree, the limitation of the resources would be the bottleneck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks a lot Chris. Agree, the limitation of the resources would be the bottleneck.

Not a problem at all.  Remember once the post is solved to mark the best answer related to your question so others can reference the thread when they have questions.

Comment