Skip to main content

We are planning to deploy Veeam backup and replication on Hyper-V Guest VM and connected with Synology NAS for Backup. Hyper-V host is Dell Server PowerEdge R760xs Server connected also with Type Server, Dell EMC ML3 Tape Library. Topology is as below. Let me know this topology is ok and is the Veeam Guest VM can detect pass through the tape Server for backup. Please kindly share your experiences and give me advice.

If you can pass through the sas card to the vbr vm then the vbr could also be the tape proxy.  

id recommend having a separate physical machine to be the tape proxy other wise you’ll be putting additional load on your hyperv host for the duration of the backup with the data transfer.  

tape is good :-)

on my phone pls excuse lack of punctuation 

If you can pass through the sas card to the vbr vm then the vbr could also be the tape proxy.  

id recommend having a separate physical machine to be the tape proxy other wise you’ll be putting additional load on your hyperv host for the duration of the backup with the data transfer.  

tape is good :-)

on my phone pls excuse lack of punctuation 

Thanks much.

Are the Backup Repository and/or the Tape Library in other Locations as your Prod-Infrastructure? I would recommend to deploy them in other Rooms/Sites, if possible.

Also think about an Immutable Repository (not only the “offline” tapes) for faster restores.

Is your Synology NAS connected by SMB/NFS? → If it’s only in use for Backup, think about connecting the NAS via iSCSI and use the Storage within the NAS as a Device (then maybe with a Linux System for Hardened Repository) which is capable of using XFS or ReFS, for FastClone functions.

Best, Markus

Tape pass through does not work very well no matter the hypervisor as I have tested this manu times.  Nothing beats a physical box as noted connected to the tape unit to be the tape proxy.

Are the Backup Repository and/or the Tape Library in other Locations as your Prod-Infrastructure? I would recommend to deploy them in other Rooms/Sites, if possible.

Also think about an Immutable Repository (not only the “offline” tapes) for faster restores.

Is your Synology NAS connected by SMB/NFS? → If it’s only in use for Backup, think about connecting the NAS via iSCSI and use the Storage within the NAS as a Device (then maybe with a Linux System for Hardened Repository) which is capable of using XFS or ReFS, for FastClone functions.

Best, Markus

We will use backup Repository by connecting iscsi disk from NAS.

Tape pass through does not work very well no matter the hypervisor as I have tested this manu times.  Nothing beats a physical box as noted connected to the tape unit to be the tape proxy.

Noted Sir, could you please provide me best possible topology or advice with my current devices?

Noted Sir, could you please provide me best possible topology or advice with my current devices?

Your topology looks fine you just need a physical box between the Hypervisor Cluster and the tape library.  That would be the only change I would make.

Your topology looks fine you just need a physical box between the Hypervisor Cluster and the tape library.  That would be the only change I would make.

Sir, you mean that I need to setup physical server for veeam tape proxy in my topology?

Sir, you mean that I need to setup physical server for veeam tape proxy in my topology?

Yes that is what I mean.

Comment